main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Why people admire this much the Mandos (in universe)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by BaronNoir, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009

Well, in the aftermath of the New Sith Wars, they formed a sizable polity out on the Rim, which the Republic forcibly disassembled in the 730s BBY. The Atlas and Warfare suggest that while the Mandalorians in that era weren't exactly friendly, they did provide some measure of stability in the Northern Quadrant at the time. Aside from that, there's the extermination of the Ithullans (which doesn't merit respect so much as fear), and the presumed exploits of the Mandalorians who refused to disarm and instead elected to sell their guns as mercenaries- the cut Warfare material mentioned them duking it out with the Thyrsus Sun Guard in a three-year battle throughout some planetwide catacombs. Then of course there's the last stand at Galidraan, where they managed to slay about half of the Jedi strike force, and Jango Fett slew three or four Jedi with his bare hands.

2. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    To an extent that is what RC was about. Kal Skirata definitely upholds numerous Mandalorian ideals, but he also married and had children outside of Mandalorian culture. He also defies the Mandalore himself to serve his own interests and as of 40 plus ABY his clan was still somewhat outside the more normal parts of Mandalorian society.

Also Hondo Karr comes to mind. He was a Storm Trooper, a member of Rogue Squadren and left behind his wife and culture to do it(granted under extenuating circumstances).

3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

He was also something of a spineless jerk who drops his loyalty and friendships at the drop of a hat. [face_not_talking]

4. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    No more than Soontir Fel did.

5. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Soontir is about as different as you could get in that direction ;)

6. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I just meant that Soontir and Hondo were both Imperials who defected to the New Republic (both to Rogue Squadron, even!) and both eventually left with their (ex-)wife. The only difference is Soontir joined the Empire of the Hand, while Hondo (re-)joined the Mandalorians. Of course there were different motives, but both of them left the Rogues hanging just the same (even Wedge didn't know where Fel had gone, IIRC).

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I think I will re-state (right word?) my question -
    Have we seen any mandos willingly leave the mandolorians and abandoning parts of their culture because they liked the Republic/Jedi/[other good guy group]'s ideals, culture and/or way more then the mandolorian?

8. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Just about the whole planet? :confused:
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Satine_Kryze

Fel did not walk out in the middle of a mission and since we do not actually know the circumstances (him getting kidnapped by Isard is what we have been told) of him leaving there is a whole lot of guesswork, whilst Karr was just a little to insane in the membrane if you ask me, sticking with the Stormtroopers for 10 years after they had slaughtered his people (with the help of his own people), then he walks out on his unit after the Sith incident (which at least is sort of understandable) and then goes to the Alliance, works his way up to an Elite Unit and then walks out on them in the middle of a mission to seek personal revenge against the Mandalore just because his wive happened to bump into him?! Either she is a true Zeltron in the sack or this fellow just simply has no clue what he wants.

Gamiel likes this.
  9. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Oh, you're right, I had forgotten that Hondo just walked out mid-mission. It did seem like the authors had no idea where they were going with Hondo; maybe he was literally just hanging on with Rogue Squadron until he found a Mandalorian, and then he'd have been like, "Sorry, guys, I'm out. Peace!" However, revenge on the Mandalore was his ultimate goal, so he was probably just biding his time with the Rogues. True that it was still messed up that he walked out on them, though; I'm not arguing that. Just observing that he and Fel have oddly similar arcs, as far as allegiance goes.

10. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Thing that irks me like nothing else is that if he just wants Revenge he could have done that at any time after having gotten off Botajef.

11. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    You would think, wouldn't you?

12. Sannom

Sannom Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2011
    Manufactured by Hugo Boss, the design work was all in-house. So I guess that actually helps your point :p

13. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I'm pretty sure, based on his actions, that he didn't know what he wanted for a long while.

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What people have we seen admiring the mandos?

15. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Pretty much everyone in various Traviss books...

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    And a few Jedi in KOTOR 10: War.

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Names bitte and preferably what they admire with the Mandos and why

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Jedi Master Dorjander Kace is the guy who joined the Mandos in the KoTOR comics - along with a few followers.

It's not so clear what he admires so much though.

19. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    From my limited reading of those comics I thought that they were traumatized by the war and blamed the republic, so they wanted to separate the Jedi from them.

Or something.

20. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Kace was kidnapped by the Mandos and fell in love with one of them while he was a POW. After they got married, she was killed and Dorjander and his followers became "Mandalorian Knights," Jedi who believed in the Mandalorian cause rather than the Republic.

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Kace to the Mandos (and his followers, and recent recruits):

"My friends believe in a fair fight -- not a corrupt Republic that leans on Jedi for protection! So this time, when some Jedi began fighting for the Republic, I didn't just mouth objections, like the Council. I set the balance right -- by giving the Mandalorians their own Jedi!"

Kace to a Jedi youngling (he's just captured a bunch of younglings and plans to raise them as Mandos:

"A Jedi's loyalty is to life, young one. All beings deserve our protection equally -- including Mandalorians! And this'll be exciting! With your help, we'll end this war faster. And that'll help everyone, right?"

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    So what was the Mandalorian cause that they believed in?

23. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    First off, whatever line Mandalore the Ultimate was feeding his followers at the time. But mostly the Resol'nare, the Mandalorian Code.

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do you have anything more substantial? Because right now he reminds me of Colonel Kurtz
    Do we know what that was?
    An that was what in that age?

25. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    No, not really. Just that he was manipulated by the Sith to believe the Mandos could conquer the galaxy.

The same as it always was. Education and armor, self-defense, our tribe, our language, our leader—all help us survive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.