main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Why people admire this much the Mandos (in universe)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by BaronNoir, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    Reasonably stated, even if they will never be my favorite part of SW. Nicely done.

2. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    you know this might be sacrilige, but i actually couldn't care less about Fett. He could have died in the sarlacc and I would have been fun. In theory, i do like the idea of an elite bounty hunter group that could be a threat to force users, but i don't like the way traviss did it.

LelalMekha, Riven_JTAC and Gorefiend like this.
  3. The Compeer

The Compeer Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 12, 2013
    Honestly, the way I see it, there would be no rational basis for Boba Fett fanboyism without the EU. His performance in ROTJ was...uninspired, to say the least, and he basically got retconned into competence. Say what you will about Maul, but he at least gave us an amazing fight scene on-screen in his movie appearance.

As for the idea of elite soldiers threatening Force-users, I like it as well, but I fear that the fixation on Mandalorians draws attention away from other groups, like Echani, Ailon, or Gank killers. They're fine as "guys who can fight Jedi", but all to often they're "The guys who can fight Jedi", which is creatively stifling.

4. Sannom

Sannom Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2011
    Aren't the Mandalorians the guy who can fight Jedi without the need for subterfuge and cunning, simply by running up to them and punching them, rather than just the guys who can fight them?

5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    The problem is that many mandos see the whole "What's best in life" thing as an important part of their traditions.

6. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

Very true, but I see that more as a result of a lack of creativity and originality on the part of various authors than anything else. Very, very few people ever attempted to use groups outside the Mandalorians, especially once Traviss came into the picture. Not even looking at just humanoids, but droids and other species as well, there are numerous beings that could be used as opponents/counters to the Jedi, that all too often aren't.

Gamiel likes this.
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    And lets not even begin on how underused the lesser Force traditions (beside the Dathomir witches) are.

Force Smuggler and JediMatteus like this.
  8. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011

Also true. Once they were introduced in the Bantam Era, most of those Force groups never received any focus again, until FOTJ, where many were basically butchered anyways. Other eras had the same issue, with Jedi/Sith always receiving the brunt of the attention, and being used as the heroes or the villains. Waste of potential in my opinion. Not all that dissimilar from the lack of focus on non-Force using characters, or Jedi that weren't part of the Skywalker/Solo clan. A lot of writers are afraid to be original it seems.

Gamiel and Iron_lord like this.
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    And then there are all the Force groups that were introduced in the RPG:s and never used in the books/comics

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    so beside Kace what named characters have we seen that admire Mandos?

11. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
  12. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006

They can be when wearing their beskar'gam, which I think detracts from them. It's more impressive to defeat a more powerful enemy with your own skills, tactics, and mind than to just have magic, impenetrable armor. Having essentially no stakes for one side makes for a boring fight.

13. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Considering that Revan was the only reason that the mandos did not take over the known galaxy, that might be why people fear/admire them

14. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

And now with TOR out weren't they a big part of the...what do they call the war in TOR? Is that the First Galactic Civil War or are those considered Sith Wars?

Either way, they blockaded Corsucant and were major players not long after going head to head with the Jedi. I mean...they may be coasting on their legend, but it's still a pretty impressive legend.

As Mandos become more popular OU they start becoming more used IU and they become more popular OU and it's just the cycle of life...or fandom ;p

15. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
  16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  17. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I think it's the same in-universe as OOC.

People respect the Mandalorians power. It's the same with the Sith.

18. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    When I read "Shadow Conspiracy" and saw the relevant TCW-Episodes about Maul, Satine and Mandalore I also couldn't evade the idea that my homeland Germany is the role-model after which the Planet Mandalore was created in the Star-Wars-Universe. And I felt a kind of touched and moved when my favorite SW-character Darth Maul came to pick up Mandalore to be his new homeland. Then I just realized last month, that the Darth-Maul-story isn't ended yet. Thus he is still alive - yeah! :) And with his golden eyes and the black-red-tattoowed skin Maul is wearing the German national colors too. So welcome to Germany - ähm... back to Mandalore, Darth Maul.* :D

*as far as I have red in the new Comic: Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir.

19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Who respect the sith?

20. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011

People like Asajj Ventress i'd wager; people who want to be Sith.

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    So madmen?

22. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011

Pretty much.

Ulicus likes this.
  23. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Everyone it seems. The Sith are never without billions of followers when they rise to power. They're like ancient Rome as far as the GFFA are concerned. They forget the crucifixtions and decimations and remember the really cool uniforms.

24. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Pretty sure it's the Republic that's like Ancient Rome as far as the GFFA is concerned. :p

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    And here comes C19 with the Hollywood version of history.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

The Compeer, Zeta1127 and Cynical_Ben like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.