main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Why people admire this much the Mandos (in universe)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by BaronNoir, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Eh - I'm a historian myself, and I have to agree with C19. People spend a lot of time talking about the glory and accomplishments of Rome, and the horrible things they did on a regular basis get swept under the rug. Same with the Greeks, Chinese, Egyptians, and early Indian empires.

Whereas many other empires, especially any of those traditionally considered Barbarians, have their negative points accentuated constantly, and their positive pointed out only grudgingly.

The real "hollywood history" is stuff like Ryze: Son of Rome, where Rome is portrayed as the sole bastion of civilization against the eeeevvilll, dirty fur wear, man eating and interchangeable barbarian hordes.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Personally I thought the Terry Jones' Barbarians TV series was an interesting counter to that.

3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I may only be a Master of History but the idea that Rome gets glorified and its brutality downplayed is just being accurate. I think it would explain a lot about the Sith's enduring power if they have a similar "romanticization" going on in people's minds. People remember the Sith as the only other major galactic civilization which could rival the Republic and stand against the Jedi.

It would also fit with the George Lucas deliberately inserted fascist parallels where Palpatine speaks of glories of the past and recapturing them.

Sudooku likes this.
  4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I don't know guys I'm pretty sure Jello's comment was just a joke and part of his shtick.

5. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Oh, sweet summer child.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  6. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    No. No one who joins the Sith is forgetting anything about the billions of people various past Sith have murdered and terrorized over the centuries. It's that they either get over it, or simply don't care, and in the end do the same thing anyways. Many specifically flock to the Sith for the ability to murder in fact.

7. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    There's multiple reasons people join the Sith, I think.

1. Darth Bane: Path of Destruction gave a more nuanced view of the perspective on the Sith. The poverty and corruption of the Old Republic is nothing new so the exploited peoples of those territories are the first to gravitate to the Sith.

2. Darth Revan's followers followed him because he had a cult of personality which indicated the Republic was weak and unable to protect his citizens while he could ala Caesar.

3. Exar Kun's followers were the Massassai, the Tetans (who followed their government), and the Mandalorians who followed their strength.

4. The Sith Empire of Old (both pre and post Darth Viviate) followed their Sith Lords because it was their culture.

5. Palpatine created his from the Old Republic by appealing to the Core Worlds desire for security and the masses desire for greatness.

8. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

1. Are you talking about the actual Sith (Githany, Bane, Kaan, etc.) or the foot soldiers? Because none of the named Sith were stated to have joined for such reasons.

2. Same question as the above for the Brotherhood, though Revan's charisma did play a part in it, as many left to fight with him originally because they believed in him, after he became a Sith however many who were already with him were corrupted just as he was, in a kind of ripple effect.

3. For the Massassai the Dark Side was their way of life. The Tetans were following their rulers, and I don't think they considered themselves allied with the Sith, just like Stormtroopers in Palpatine's Empire didn't. The Mandalorians were allied with Uliq, but again didn't consider themselves a part of the Sith.

4. Cultural, and because many craved and enjoyed the power of the Dark Side.

5. As stated above, the average citizen of the Empire didn't consider himself as a part of any Sith Empire, because very few knew Palpatine was a Sith. He took over the Old Republic, but when that happened that didn't suddenly mean that everyone in the Empire was now a Sith supporter.

I don't really consider being allied with a Sith Lord as having joined the Sith personally, and even all the reasons you've given don't really mesh with your initial comparison, as no one's still forgetting anything about the Sith in these situations.

Gamiel likes this.
  9. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    One should also consider the following - many might have joined the Sith armies because they wanted to be on winning side/ get wealth/ were sick of the Republic's corruption/were conscripted etc. (the general reason for joining an army) and they dismissed the Sith slaughtering people left and right as Republic/Jedi propaganda. By the time they found out it was true, it was too late to back out - your comrades might snitch on you out of fear/malice/whatever and the punishment for desertion might anything between being shot and given over to the Sith Lords for "scientific reasons", so you might as well stick it out and hope you win the war and can then get out of the military.

Gamiel and Iron_lord like this.
  10. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Yeah, I'm right there with you. And the prequels make OT Boba look even more inept than he already was.

Riven_JTAC likes this.
  11. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Idk little Boba had a serious meanface.

This is clearly someone to take seriously:
    [​IMG]

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    So beside Kace what named characters have we seen that admire Mandos and what is it that they admire?

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Revan to a degree, in the Revan novel. Possibly their stubborn bravery.

DurararaFTW likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.