main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why people are not getting Episode I DVD

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Ewan_tw, Oct 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ewan_tw

Ewan_tw Jedi Youngling

Feb 17, 2001
    http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=24ed630cd8f2d35b3205c709a2634b55&threadid=147634

BTW.
    I have got the DVD. And I personally think it's a great DVD product.

2. Darth23

Darth23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 1999
    This Link might work better. :)

[well it looks like the bashers will be happy] ;)

3. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    Wow, that was a depressing read. :( I am willing to bet that some of our strongest bashers might even be tempted to defend the film over there in that forum....

:cool: Mace Windy,
    the storm after the calm!

4. MountainMan

MountainMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 11, 2001
    And what exactly is this supposed to prove? That some people disliked the film? That's not exactly breaking news.

5. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    We need to send Go-Mer-Tonic over there. ;)

6. Sevb25

Sevb25 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 26, 2001
    There will always be a group of people who hate certain films, if you think they can please everybody, you are sorely mistaken. Kind of like those idiots in this country and abroad protesting the strikes on Afghanistan.

7. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I cannot teach them. The board lacks patience. Always with them what they get now in the first episode. Never their mind on where things are going... Hmmmm? How things will unfold.

-Sigh, Not everyone can be a true Jedi Knight.

8. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    Sad, I reckon these folks are merely just trying to ignore or avoid the movie because it is what it is.

;)

9. I_love_nat

I_love_nat Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 5, 2001
    These people realize that EPI dvd is the highest preselling DVD to date.... right?

10. Rimkar

Rimkar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 23, 1999
    I pulled out some of the more enjoyable quotes for your viewing pleasure:

"I couldn't stand the racial stereotyping in this movie."

"everyone i know hated the movie but are buying anyway"

"Anyway, the movie sucked, and even though its an essential part of the prequal (to establish that darth vader was raised to be a little screaming muppet loving doofus)"

"I WON'T be getting it, basically because it was one of the worst films I have ever seen"

"Not buying, never saw, could care less..."

"Darth Maul is a bad guy in such a PG way"

:D

11. GasCabbie

GasCabbie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 28, 2001
    LOL Rimkar! [face_laugh]

I'm not getting the DVD, though. I'll be able to borrow it from work (Superstar Video Rental! :D), and I like to only buy things once! (Only one set of the Trilogy on VHS, only one set of soundtracks, and hopefully one set of DVD's)

12. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    Does it occur to anyone else that the loudest voice in the internet almost always from to the most bitter, cranky, mother-f#&ers in the world. I swear, I wanna look these guys up like in "Jay& Silent Bob Strike Back" and kick the crap out of them; where is "magnolia-fan!" Maybe bashers feel safe expressing their opinions on the internet because it's annonymous; and nobody can tell them they are "full of S...!"
    I am the proud pre-owner of a copy of TPM on DVD; deleted scenes, GL commentary, bring it all!

13. I_love_nat

I_love_nat Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 5, 2001
    I also preordered

14. Sevb25

Sevb25 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 26, 2001
    Yes Krash, I loved how "Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back" put it to internet whiners!

15. Ernest_Rister

Ernest_Rister Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 15, 2001
    PHANTOM MENACE VHS was a huge seller in pre-orders and first week sales. Then it dropped off the face of the Earth. TPM VHS wound up selling 7 million units, roughly less than 1/3 of TITANIC, SNOW WHITE, and ALADDIN, and less than 1/4th of the sales for THE LION KING.

TPM is the least selling SW film on home video, and only sold half of the units that 20th Century Fox announced it was expecting (15 million).
    TPM is the fastest film of all time to $300 million, but its also the fastest SW film to leave the box office. This indicates a large number of first time viewers and a small number of return viewers.
    TPM is the only SW film to not score a single Oscar.
    TPM's status is hotly debated, even among the managers and writers of this very site.

Why are people not getting the PHANTOM MENACE DVD?

Maybe some people just don't like the movie, as was indicated by the linked thread in the posts above.

16. Ernest_Rister

Aug 15, 2001
    -- from DVDFile.com

THIS WEEKS TOP SELLERS

1. Shrek
    2. Jurassic Park III
    3. Planet Of The Apes (2001)
    4. Fast And The Furious
    5. Snow White

17. MountainMan

MountainMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 11, 2001
    I ask again, what's your point? So a few folks can't appreciate The Phantom Menace simply for what it is, and those with the most negative opinion always seem to cry the loudest. This isn't exactly a new story.

Oh, and the little statistical break-down trying to prove just how "unsuccessful" The Phantom Menace was makes me laugh. Even the most ardent bashers would have to agree that The Phantom Menace is a very successful and very popular film.

18. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Plenty of people don't like the classic trilogy either Ernest, and also the video sales COULD indicate a bunch of people who didn't want to get it until it was on DVD.

Just you wait man.

19. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Many people are waiting for the dvd release after 2005. Hopefully by then many will have dvd compatible computers where they'll be able to use the web links.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  20. Star_Wars

Star_Wars Jedi Youngling

Sep 29, 2001
    Why am I not getting the DVD? Simple, I've got the video already!

EDIT: The only DVD player I've got is on my PC, not exactly as good as a TV screen!

21. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Actually in many ways the PC screen is better. It can display the full resolution of the image, unlike most regular TV's out there today. Also, you can get really crisp still frame captures.

22. Ernest_Rister

Aug 15, 2001
    The number of people with DVD players in April of 2000 was 7 million (source: TheDigitalBits.com). Even if every single one of these had bought the VHS, it still would make PHANTOM MENACE a film with sales less than half of that of THE LION KING, TITANIC, SNOW WHITE and ALADDIN.

The above links indicate the Real World, the kind of things I hear 90% of the time. In well over two years, I have yet to speak with a single solitary individual who says they like the PHANTOM MENACE. Not one. Fans in on-line chat rooms is one thing. The Real World is another.

MENACE is going to come charging out of the box on DVD, just like it did in theaters and on VHS. After the hard core fans have scooped it up, we'll see what those numbers look like end of 4th Quarter Fiscal 2001.

Just *you* wait.

23. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    People in the "Real World" aren't going to matter.

Just -YOU- wait and see...

Not that it matters. I like the idea that only a select few understand what makes TPM great. It reminds me of the days when it wasn't cool to like SW all over again.

24. stone_jedi

stone_jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2001
    Here's a comment that may help why people are going to buy the dvd (I know, I know, wrong conversation). It does shed some light on things, I believe.

"OK, so we take as many (if not more) pot-shots at Phantom Menace as everyone else. Yeah, Jar Jar was the worst character creation since Cousin Oliver on The Brady Bunch. Yeah, Jake Lloyd should be taken out back and disciplined with a lightsaber for ruining Anakin Skywalker. And, yeah, we hate midichlorians. But you know what? This is the first Star Wars movie to come to DVD, and we?re not above being a little psyched about that. "

I found it here.

The point? The fact that TPM has the words STAR WARS on it will result in tons more people buying it than usual.

BTW, I'm still not going to buy it. ;)

25. Ernest_Rister

Aug 15, 2001
    I'll be very surprised if PHANTOM MENACE sells more than 6-7 million units on DVD. There are only 21 million DVD players in the U.S. (though I don't know if that figure also includes DVD ROMS or PS2 numbers) -- and STAR WARS or not, the movie is just too damn polarizing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.