main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why people are not getting Episode I DVD

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Ewan_tw, Oct 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth23

Darth23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 1999
    "Forcing people to buy Godfather 3 to get Godfathers 1 and 2 is nothing short of a crime. "

True true.

2. C-3P0

C-3P0 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2001
    I bought all three plus the Snow White DVD. I highly reccommend the Godfather Trilogy box set. The commentaries alone are outstanding.

The Mummy Returns wasn't the best flick in the world, but it is a fun action romp for the kids.

I swear I must be the only person who comes to this forum who has kids. Many kids loved TPM and The Mummy Returns.

Personally, I am astounded that so many TPM DVDs have sold already. the market was overly saturated with the VHS version, and if people just thought it was an OK flick, they wouldn't repurchase it. Most kids couldn't give a rip if they see Pan and scan VHS or DVD widescreen glory, and they sure don't want to be bored with making of extras.

As far as advertising goes, I saw many more TMR than TPM ads, but of course I couldn't give you hard numbers. We'll just have to disagree.

3. Darth23

May 14, 1999
    I do think that even if people had problems with the story, acting or Jar Jar, many of them would still want the dvd for the thrill ride experience of the action scenes.

Plus it's obvious that Lucas used subliminal messages forcing people wo but his stuff. ;)

4. Jenkwombat

Jenkwombat Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 23, 2001

Uh....right.

5. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    Who was that dude who said no one in the real world liked TPM?
    He cracked me up :(

6. OrionPax

OrionPax Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 8, 2001
    George Lucas mind tricked everyone to see the movie over and over (heck I usually only see movies I really liked only once in the theater because it's expensive), and then he mind tricked everyone again to buy the VHS tape and he continues to use the darkside to trick us into buying the DVD.

The TPM VHS tape was one of the highest rentals in 99 as well...the DVD will probably be a high rental when it is available to rent.

Fact is many people bash this film because it is the cool thing to do then they go home and watch it.

7. Darth-Mauls-Torso

Darth-Mauls-Torso Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    Here's a funny little FYI:

In my newspaper's entertainment section they have this part where they list all the biggest selling DVDs and tapes and such for the previous week. DVD sales last week had TPM at numero uno, but we all know that. For VHS sales, TPM was number 8! That's a year and a half after it's initial video release!

Of course that means people hate this movie so much they need to buy it and revel in it's awfulness.

*Darth Maul's Torso points at the bashers and laughs*

8. Darth-Mauls-Torso

Feb 1, 2001
    *Darth Maul's Torso pees himself laughing*

9. Darth-Mauls-Torso

Feb 1, 2001
    *Darth Maul's Torso has died laughing*

10. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    he will be missed :)

11. TrueJedi

TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 22, 2000
    *Darth Maul's Torso has died laughing*

If that's true, I want to know where his grave is because I would like to desecrate it. :p

12. Darth23

May 14, 1999
    His ghost will probably come back to haunt TJ pretty soon. :)

13. TrueJedi

TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 22, 2000
    He's being cremated.

And will his ashes be dumped over Skywalker Ranch? :p

His ghost will probably come back to haunt TJ pretty soon.

That would be consistent with his pre-death antics. :p

14. Darth-Mauls-Torso

Feb 1, 2001
  15. stone_jedi

stone_jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2001
    Ahhh! :eek: Whoa, you scared me DMT! I thought you were dead. Wait, you are! :eek:

//Hightales it out of here//

16. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Well in any case it looks like the story of Episode I outselling The Mummy Returns was hot air. Turns out TMR is outselling TPM 2-1 at retail outlets. Ouch.

17. stone_jedi

Jun 17, 2001
    Check out my link on the first page of this thread. While I am a TPM basher, I did predict that TPM would sell through the roof because it has Star Wars written on it!

BTW, comparing TPM to The Mummy Returns? Not exactly stellar competition. I will be more interested to see what happens when Shrek comes out. Not making any predictions though... [face_mischief]

18. Riley Man

Riley Man Jedi Master star 5

Dec 19, 1999
    Read what the report says: [ ... VideoScan does not take into account Wal-Mart, Toys 'R' Us, or amazon.com ... ]

Sorry, but any report telling me anything about video or DVD sales had better include some of the biggest outlets.

19. Darth23

May 14, 1999
    IT'S NOT OUT FAULT!! :p

We believed Fox when they said TPM beat The Mummy Returns.

I do believe that I mentioned WEEKS ago that there are no good sources for DVD and Video sales info. :) All they have is estimates because the only thing centrally tracked are how many units ship to the retailers.

It's harder to track than theater box office receipts ecause there are so many more outlets, and a lot of them don't track sales the same way, and there's no where to report sales for particular titles even if they were inclined to do so.

20. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    My only point is that people will still be watching ANH and ESB 50 years from now, whereas TPM is already on its way to being forgotten. :)

21. MountainMan

MountainMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 11, 2001
    My only point is that people will still be watching ANH and ESB 50 years from now, whereas TPM is already on its way to being forgotten.

Then it's not a very good point because all the evidence is against you (basic debate rules require you to actually support your point with relevant facts, in case you're wondering.) Remember, 50 years from now, people won't have the Original Trilogy vs. Prequel Trilogy mindset, it will be known simply as The Star Wars Saga, and The Phantom Menace will be remembered as fondly as the rest of the films, simply because people will have forgotten exactly why they were supposed to despise it in the first place.

22. stone_jedi

Jun 17, 2001
    RileyMan, I think you read the wrong report. Mine was this one. It gives some reasons why the DVD will sell through the roof, as it has done.

My only point is that people will still be watching ANH and ESB 50 years from now, whereas TPM is already on its way to being forgotten.

I agree with you mostly. Instead of being forgotten, I think it will be that "other" Star Wars movie that tells us who people are and where they are from, but gives us little beyond that.

23. Riley Man

Riley Man Jedi Master star 5

Dec 19, 1999
    I was referring to the report theforce.net just highlighted from Coming Soon! -- the one Jabbadabbadoo was talking about.

24. stone_jedi

Jun 17, 2001
    Oh. My bad. :)

25. Darth23

May 14, 1999
    Here is the article:

An independent review of first-week DVD sales shows that 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment's "Star Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace" did not break the first-week DVD sales record set by Universal Studios Home Video's "The Mummy Returns." Despite a Fox news release and related stories in the media claiming that "Menace" had broken "Mummy's" record, VideoScan research shows that the "Menace" DVD came up short in a first-week sales comparison. While VideoScan does not take into account Wal-Mart, Toys 'R' Us or Amazon.com, "Mummy" outsold "Menace" by 2-to-1 in their respective first weeks at Wal-Mart and Kmart, industry sources said. "Menace" DVD sales did top "Mummy" on Amazon.com.

The rest of te article is for Premium Subscribers only . >:^|

What its says is that TMR outsold TPM 2-1 at Wal-Mart and K-mart (according ro sources) and that TPM outsold TMR on Amazon. Wal-mart is a major retail outlet, K-mart much less (I didn't even know they carried dvds). but I'm sure either of them are way bigger than Amazon.com

-----------

The latest chart has TPM WAY out in front - it could be that the Mummy's sales collapsed after the ads stopped running.

I don't understand the chart- it says for the week ending 10/28, but TPM was released a week and a half before that (10 /16). This is apparently the first week for TPM on the chart, which says it accounts for 80-80% of total sales.

GRRR.

DVDfile.com still has one old chart, and if you click the link you get and even OLDER chart (A Knights Tale and Spy Kids are in the top spots)

Billboard has a chart dated Nov 10th with TPM in the top spot, Snow White back up to 2, and The Mummy at 4 & 5. No actual NUMBERS (for the week or total) though.

Oh well, does anyone have access to the full Hollywood Reporter article? <:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.