main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Why Rey was left on Jakku...

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by RacoonKing, May 29, 2016.

1. CrackedKyberCrystal

CrackedKyberCrystal Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 9, 2016
    Lor San Tekka's presence on Jakku has to be connected to Rey being on Jakku. That cannot be a coincidence. And Tekka has THE most wanted object in the galaxy - the key piece of the map to Luke Skywalker. And the Church Of The Force believe in Jedi ideals and want the light of the Jedi to restore balance to the galaxy. So they would probably have a vested interest in keeping an eye on Rey and making sure she is safe. Through the movie script, we know that Luke recognizes and knows who Rey is when she shows up on the island. So Luke probably knows Rey's whereabouts and has Tekka there b/c Rey is there.

D'an and Ricardo Funes like this.
  2. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    However, Rey's Survival Guide has Rey comment that the Sacred Villages (like the one Tekka lives in) are mostly isolationist. Also, Rey doesn't know anyone who lives in one (and lives a lifestyle that would be hard to keep tabs on her in Niima, much less from a Sacred Village).

There's also no indication in the movie that anyone realized Rey was Force-sensitive until the events of the movie.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    maz never says "could come back". that's not what she's saying. she's saying no one (rey's family) is there for you but someone could be.

Maz Kanata: Dear child. I see your eyes. You already know the truth. Whomever you're waiting for on Jakku... they're never coming back. But... there's someone who still could.

Rey: Luke...

Maz Kanata: The belonging you seek is not behind you... it is ahead. I am no Jedi, but I know the Force. It moves through and surrounds every living thing. Close your eyes. Feel it. The light... it's always been there. it will guide you. The saber. Take it.

Rey: I'm never touching that thing again. I don't want any part of this.

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Churches purposefully built on junkyard planets...

[​IMG]

D'an, Dagobahsystem, Beezer and 3 others like this.
  5. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Uh...yeah?

6. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    Clues the movie left:

(1) Kylo Ren: "What girl?!" (context: the official informed Kylo a girl helped Finn and BB8 escape)

(2) Chewbacca did not want to check Jakku, even though Han did.

(3) Kylo said he saw the island and sea while trying to read her mind. This might refer to Luke's planet

7. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

Number 1 is ambiguous enough to allow Kylo to not know why Rey is just as easily as him knowing about her.

Han wanted to double-check the Western Reaches, not Jakku.

I think that number three does indeed refer to Luke's planet. But the question that has yet to be answered if Rey is seeing it only because she was going to go there by the end of the movie, or if it's also because she had connections to that place/Luke from before. (Given that the map to Luke specifically pointed to that Jedi temple Luke went to find, I think a past connection is less likely.)

thejeditraitor and Allana_Rey like this.
  8. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    WebLurker, the second point could have merit. Jakku is within the Western Reaches, and Han only says that line when Rey and Finn said the Falcon was on Jakku.

Chewbacca also gave Rey a weird look at the end of the movie while they were traveling to Luke's planet. Not sure how to describe it. It seemed like he knew something.

9. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I really thought Rey was dropped off to be hidden from her cousin, Ben but clearly that is no longer valid.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

redlightning likes this.
  10. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    The only thing is that Han is really disinterested in Rey at the moment. It's after this scene that he wants to sent her and Finn on their ways as quickly as possible, a point he doesn't drop until the show him the map (and even then he treating it like he's just the bus driver). He also doesn't attach much significance to Jakku, just a: "Oh, so that's where the ship ended up in. (Also, Jakku is only a small piece of the Western Reaches.)

Not sure about the look. I'll have to see the movie again (poor me having to suffer so ;)). But I don't recall anything sticking out.

11. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    people look hard enough for clues and find them where there are none.

Dagobahsystem, MeBeJedi and WebLurker like this.
  12. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    The legitimacy is concrete at times when it is a direct attempt to expand on a theme.

Ray's path runs along the ways of the force as described by characters in previous films. This is clearly intensional.

13. arjank

arjank Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2015

Rey doesn't display any force abilities until she meets Finn and she flies the Falcon with ease.

14. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006

Clearly Kylo had a younger sister named Ania who isn't force sensitive but was so scary just mentioning a girl messed up one of Kylo's plans gave him flashbacks of every darn time they crossed paths!

15. Parparamia

Parparamia Jedi Master star 3

Sep 17, 2004
    Rey wasn't 'left', she was 'hidden', on Jakku. A calculated descision by the hider that Jakku would be a good place, given the circumstances.

Hidden from those who would do her harm. (first order, dark side users, etc) Easily picked up by the force when the time was right.

16. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    If they wanted to hide Rey for whatever reason, why not send her off to where Luke was hiding? Nobody was able to find him for the longest time...and that seems like a much safer option than dumping her on Jakku.

17. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

We have no canonical confirmation that Rey had any prior connections to Luke, much less the Jedi. We also know that Rey was left on Jakku long before Luke went looking for that temple (based on the fact that Rey is nineteen in TFA, was roughly five when she was left on Jakku, and that Bloodlines time-stamps Luke's exile after his nephew's betrayal as six years prior to TFA.

If Rey was being hidden, it may have been the only option. Maybe her family/guardian's ship was being chased by whatever faction they were running from? We know from the novelization that her family/guardians were planning to come back for her later, so whatever circumstances lead to Rey being left on Jakku, it was a temporary solution.

18. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Snoke is rays father. He crashed his star destroyer on jaku. Then snoke left his kid there. Rey goes to look for his lightsaber.

19. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    The Force vision is a mess — what with Pablo has said and what was stated in Bloodline, I myself have given up trying to figure it out. I just hope they don't forget to explain everything in the next two films.

20. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    it's not a mess. it's a vision.

21. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Yeah, I know...it's just that trying to piece together what happens in that scene isn't worth my time now since the events in Bloodline changed my perspective of what really went on in it. But, you're right, it's just a Force vision.

22. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Maybe Rey was a former Jedi trainee who for some reason had her memories wiped and implanted with a new identity, which would explain how she can do everything and pick up Force techniques with no training whatsoever. It wouldn't be very original, but hey, neither was TFA... [face_whistling]

23. CrackedKyberCrystal

CrackedKyberCrystal Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 9, 2016

The way I interpret the "there's still someone who could" is that there IS someone who could...'come back for you'. Not your "parent" but another - i.e. Luke - who may not be your actual parent but is still a very significant person from your past. Someone (again I think Luke) who is at least as important to your past as any parent.

WebLurker likes this.
  24. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    She was dropped off on Jakku cause her mother found out she was a granddaughter of Vader so she left Luke and abonded Rey, scared she would end up being like him.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

25. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    The daughter of someone not introduced yet.

My current headcanon is that she has a powerful Jedi mother... who?... who had to go fight a battle, and left Rey on Jakku in haste for what was supposed to be a short time. But Lady Jedi is killed, and so no one comes back.