main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Why Rey was left on Jakku...

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by RacoonKing, May 29, 2016.

1. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

Fair enough. I mean, I'm not a big fan of Star Trek: Insurrection, even though I can't cite anything truly awful about it and it had one of the best scenes in the film series. (I will concede I wasn't very impressed with the would-be relationship between Cap. Picard and the Ba'ku woman -- having the thing that Picard and Dr. Crusher had for each other in the TV show be explored would seem to have been a better choice -- but it wasn't a deal-breaker or anything.)

2. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Funny. Doesn't look like The Dark Knight.

*Have you ever run...

3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Anyway, about Rey on Jakku....

KSkywalker likes this.
  4. Craig of Oz

Craig of Oz Jedi Youngling

Oct 1, 2016
    There are to many coincidences on Jakku.

1. The Falcon was there
    2. Lor San Tekka is there. (Is he there to watch Rey? Who knows, why is he there?)
    3. It seems Rey was abandoned there in the same way Luke and Leia where hidden from Vader on Tattooine with "their family". Which makes you think Rey was left on Jakku with her family? Unkar Plutt - probably not family by affiliated with the 1st order? The Empire? Is she the child of someone powerful who's affiliated with the Dark Side/Light Side and they don't even know they have a daughter that is alive? Were the people who put her there to afraid that she would become to powerful?
    4. She is basically put into enslavement to work for people who are tied to the 1st order.
    5. She seems to be wearing Padawan clothing in the flashback scene when she was left on Jakku. Could be just some new slave threads though.

5. ForgottenMaster

ForgottenMaster Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    For now I'm relying on the opening crawl to explain Lor San Tekka's presence on Jakku. Paraphrasing - Leia sent Poe to Jakku where an old ally has discovered a clue to Luke's whereabouts. I believe Lor San Tekka went to Jakku in search of the last missing piece of the map. I suspect that the map was split into several pieces and spread across the galaxy to protect something on Ahch-To, and I also suspect that he and Luke worked together to find and put together the map that Luke stored in R2. Bad things happened and Luke decided that he had enough of the map to work with as it narrowed Luke's search to a "small" part of the galaxy. Fast forward to TFA, Leia and Lor San Tekka are assuming that by now, Luke has found what's he's looking for and now that they have the last piece of the puzzle and if Luke did indeed find the last temple, this complete map will now lead them to him.

As for Rey, I think that whatever chain of events left her on Jakku were the same chain of events that left the Falcon there as well.

Ricardo Funes and Craig of Oz like this.
  6. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    I'm thinking she was trained by Kanan if he survives the end of star wars rebels that is!
    Can't shake the feeling she's Ezra's daughter placed in hiding but unaware she's been trained only that her family would be coming back for her.
    I'm assuming Kanan died but left her able to fend for herself, I'm hoping Ezra turns up in episode 8 and is revealed as her father, but who knows!!!
    Well back to this movie... not sure they never explained that part about the Imperial facility being destroyed when Jakku fell, there's so many questions left unanswered and some ideas that were revealed in this movie that really don't work!
    So... who knows indeed!

7. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    We were told that Unkar Plutt had been the latest in a chain of thieves to steal it, who had nothing to do with bigger events, so this has to be a coincidence.[/quote]

It's unclear if he just lives there or not (he is a member of the Church of the Force and his Sacred Village is known for revering the Force). However, Rey's Survivial Guide establishes that Rey has no connections at all to any of the villages, much less Tekka's. The novelization also shows Rey discussing the village's destruction with BB-8 and she doesn't react beyond what someone would regarding a tragedy that happened outside of their personal sphere.

We know from the novelizations that whoever left Rey did love her and were sincerely planning on coming back for her. Beyond that, we have no details of where she was before and why her family/guardians decided to leave her there.

There's no indication that Plutt is with the First Order (although the novelization implies that he wanted to re-sell BB-8 to them). We also don't know the terms of his originally taking charge of Rey. By the time of the movie, she's technically not a slave. Her problem is that she can only do one profession -- scavenging -- and Plutt has gained the monopoly on the junk trade.

I don't think the timeline works correctly for Rey to have been a padawan at any time in her life.

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

In AOTC, Yoda says "The Padawan is right" when one of the very little kids of the Bear Clan explains why Kamino isn't on the map (somebody must have deleted it).

So, while formally the term is used for a Jedi Knight's apprentice, who normally begins apprenticeship in their early teams - informally the term has been used for very young trainees as well, who are trained as a group.

9. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

Sorry, I meant the order that certain events happened. Bloodline establishes that Kylo Ren's betrayal happened years after Rey was left on Jakku, which makes it seem unlikely that she was a former Padawan. (In theory, it's still possible, but seems less likely to me.)

10. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    I am of the opinion that Finn is Lando's son and was taken from him because he was doing something to help Leia and the Resistance.

11. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    Has anyone counted-up the number of marks Rey has scratched inside her Jakku home?

12. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006

Something about her not knowing how to scratch the fifth mark to make it clearer how long she was there?

KSkywalker likes this.