main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why should an audience have to

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by hawk, Oct 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    It just occurred to me. If JJ was put in the film to deliver a message of intolerance in society (I doubt it), why was this so? Why would someone invent a character who is so annoying that we must tolerate his very presence. I don't tolerate rude people, bad people, etc. If someone displays those qualitys, I tell them where to go or make it clear with my expression that they must change or go away. But in life we have no choice. Lucas had the option of not making JJ so annoying so why should the audience waste its time being tolerant of a creature designed to be in your face and annoy. I don't need to be taught lessons in movies. I learn them in the real world. How bout you?

2. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Why should an audience have to "tolerate" a character?

Because it's GL movie, and if we don't like his character, then it's our duty to shut up, smile and take whatever &%#@ he wants to shovel our way. Remember, we owe George, not the other way around! We have a DUTY and an OBLIGATION to that man!

OK, that's the only answer I could think of.

3. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Because you will find the skill usefull when you come up against real people who are intolerable.

4. Darth_Smeagol

Darth_Smeagol Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    Lucas probably didn't think Jar Jar was annoying. I doubt he set out to make an annoying character. I didn't find him annoying for one second of the film.

5. GrandMoffTarkin

GrandMoffTarkin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 22, 2001
    Why should an audience have to "tolerate" a character?

?[face_plain] I don't "tolerate" him. I like him. I think he is a fine addition to the Star Wars Universe. And as Darth says, it's George's movie. :D

6. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Yeah, that's right, GrandMoffTarkin. You tell'm!! Now, I expect to see you shelling out at least $75 in theaterical viewing for AOTC next May, or so help me, you'll have no part of the SW saga ever again!! ($50 in E2 related Jar-jar merchindise is optional, but recommended).

7. ewingsquadron

ewingsquadron Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 5, 2001
    Movies are made for the average person to be able to experience something. If they are being made to educate a group of people, then the it's a documentary. Now, which is TPM?

8. GrandMoffTarkin

Jun 22, 2001
    At least! :D

(and I don't even know how much that is really as I live in England and use £'s ;))

9. stone_jedi

stone_jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2001
    Lucas probably didn't think Jar Jar was annoying. I doubt he set out to make an annoying character.

Exactly my argument all along! But look how he turned out!

10. Darth_Smeagol

Darth_Smeagol Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    Like I said in the rest of my post I didn't think he was annoying at all.

11. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Some people can tolerate better than others.

12. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Yet ANOTHER anti-PM thread. B-O-R-I-N-G!

13. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Go-mer, I tolerate people in the real world. I also have to tolerate pain, boredom, etc - things we wish we didn't have to endure. However, that doesn't make Lucas invent a torture device to teach us to "cope" with pain. When you go to a movie, you watch it for ENTERTAINMENT. You don't expect to have to learn life lessons that life can teach you. I tolerate people in the real world when I have to but should I also have to tolerate it in movies as well? Seems silly.

And Grand Moff Jawa, as much as that last post was important and well thought out, IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T POST HERE.

14. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    You only tolerate some people though, don't you Hawk?

Hawk: "If someone displays those qualitys, I tell them where to go or make it clear with my expression that they must change or go away."

When you go see most movies it is for entetainment, however some films are there to expand your horizons a little if you let them.

15. GrandMoffTarkin

Jun 22, 2001
    I went to see TPM for entertainment. I got it too. :)

It's a matter of taste. Some people like Jar Jar, others don't.
    Same as with Football, athletics, certain TV shows, ad infinitum

16. Sevb25

Sevb25 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 26, 2001
    Has Hawk ever posted something that wasn't whining or leading something negative to complain about? I guess negativity is a hobby.

17. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    It is all tied to the dark path.

Inotlerance, negativity, agression, once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

18. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Hawk,

I will post wherever I damn well feel like it. Why don't you post something positive for a change and stop all your griping??? There are far too many topics in here that have a negative slant to them. And you have the nerve to attack MY intelligence? It doesn't take much to complain about something.

In your very words: "IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T POST HERE".

That goes both ways, my friend.

19. Darth23

Darth23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 1999
    I think someone's looking at the point a little too literally, or maybe taking it too seriously. Lucas' repsonse to the anti Jar Jar criticism was that there has always been a segment of the fan base who didn't like the more comedic characters in Star Wars. They didn't like Threepio when ANH came out, they didn't like Yoda when ESB came out, they hated the Ewoks, and not they don't like Jar Jar. He didn't "say" that JJ's there for one particular reason, but I think the fact that he continues to have characters like this in Star Wars movies would indicate that maybe he thinks that it's important to have characters like this in his stories.

I think it could be said that reason the Ewoks were put is as 'cute' little creatures who defeat the Empire is similar to the reason the clueless, clumsy Gungan was put in as the character who gives Amidala the key to liberating her planet.

Do you 'have to' like Jar Jar or the Ewoks, or even tolerate them?

Of course not.

Do you 'have to' like TPM or any Star Wars movie?

Of course not.

20. random_trooper

random_trooper Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2000
    cracks knuckles and hunches shoulders over laptop

Man I sure have missed replying to Hawk threads...

Why should an audience have to tolerate a character??

.....ahhh nevermind...

(glad to see things haven't changed here a bit...) :D

21. TheJediJeff

TheJediJeff Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    "I don't tolerate rude people, bad people, etc. If someone displays those qualitys, I tell them where to go or make it clear with my expression that they must change or go away. But in life we have no choice."

I could hear Obi-Wan saying that too. He was wrong too.

"I don't need to be taught lessons in movies."

But, if you 'allow' yourself, you might. Are you saying that in the years of being a fan of Star Wars, you haven't learned a different lesson that you welcomed the answers to? You might allow yourself to learn the painful ones too... or end up making the same mistakes as Obi-Wan.

JediJeff

22. Nathanielstar

Nathanielstar Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 27, 2001
    The answer to your question is this. Your opinion is not the only opinion so either put up with it or stop watching it.

23. Positive_Charge

Positive_Charge Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2001
    Hawk is right. Go-mer is too. Let us all be friends.

Think Positive.

24. Ethril

Ethril Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 24, 2000
    You don't have to tolerate anything. If you don't like a movie, don't watch it. On the other hand, if you have an evolved view that says maybe it can be enriching to understand and study art designed for tastes other than your own, you just might learn something.

25. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Hmm is it possible for some people to reply to the topic instead of whining about the nature of the topic?

Anyway, Go-mer, nobody totally tolerates everything. To some degree we are all intolerant. I understand why tolerance is important. You and Lucas don't have to spell that out to us. But why design a creature to see if he can get under people's skins? To teach them a lesson? If that is so, then what would happen if he didn't create JJ to see this result? Would that ruin the movie? Of course not. It would just make the movie more enjoyable for a wider audience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.