Why should an audience have to

Discussion in 'The Phantom Menace' started by hawk, Oct 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Learner Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    You might find this topic of interest. I have made a good obsveration it seems about George Lucas and his character Jar Jar Binks.
  2. Ekenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    I did not find him annoying either. I like Jar Jar.
  3. hoth-nudist Jedi Knight

star 3
    Jarjar wasnt necessary for TPM. He's pure expo-material.
  4. Jedi_Learner Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hawk wrote: "Face it Jedi_Learner, it wasn't planned mate."

How do you know this for a fact? Did you work on the project with George Lucas and his team of experts? Even if it is true, do you think I would admit it. Jar Jar Binks is one of my favourite characters and I really mean that. Most young children and some adults like Binks for what he is and can accept him. Most of the criticism against Ahmed Best and the character he portrays is unfair and cruel. I don't want to admit Binks was hated by most adults, I don't want to admit his role was shortened because of it...I won't believe it.....

I hope it isn't true, but a small part of me believes you Hawk, and I feel really upset inside now. I don't want to admit it but it might be true. :(/>
  5. DarthSil Jedi Master

star 4
    Four year later and we're still discussing Jar-Jar? Sheesh!
  6. Jedi_Learner Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I think all has been said and done about this episode, so we are refreshing our memories. I asked for this topic to be resurrected, so if you want blame me for having a discussion with opposite viewpoints.
  7. SomeRandomNerd Force Ghost

star 4
    >>>When JJ was first released, the buzz was he was this spanking new CGI character that would be utterly convincing and change cinema.

Which he was. As the first major photorealistic CGI character, he was a landmark. (For example, I strongly doubt that Gollum would have been the same if they hadn't used the same techniques that Lucas was pioneering a couple of years earlier.)

But that's beside the point- what has all that got to do with the character's role in the sequel?

Nothing.
  8. Shelley Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Which he was. As the first major photorealistic CGI character, he was a landmark. (For example, I strongly doubt that Gollum would have been the same if they hadn't used the same techniques that Lucas was pioneering a couple of years earlier.)

They did. In fact, they conferred with people at ILM on how to do it.
  9. JKBurtola Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I don't want to admit his role was shortened because of it...I won't believe it.....

Well do not be afraid. Jar Jar's role wasn't shortened because a few fanboys got upset. And George Lucas has even said so.
  10. Jedi_Learner Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm so confused. I think I've developed a unhealthy obession with Jar Jar Binks, I'm always at his defence all the time now. :(
  11. hawk Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    That is a symptom of these boards Jedi-Learner not Binks or fans. As for it being planned that Binks's role was limited, a couple of people have told me that he was in several more AOTC scenes. I would be interested to see how much of Binks was actually cut from the film. If we are talking more than two scenes (longer than a few minutes) then maybe Lucas didn't care. But I have been told by some that it were several key addresses to the Senate. I can't really imagine there needing to be any more Senate scenes with Binks. It doesn't sound quite right to me.

I still think George cut back and altered JJ's role from the start of AOTC. Even giving him a Senator role seems to be trying to bring dignity to a much hated character. I actually liked Binks in AOTC, suprisingly, because of this change. But as with all debates about Lucas' intentions, we'll never know for sure.
  12. Jedi_Learner Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    "I can't really imagine there needing to be any more Senate scenes with Binks. It doesn't sound quite right to me."

I can. There was the scene where Jar Jar Binks has difficultly talking to the Senators in the normal language and he is laughed apon. Palpatine tells them all the settle down and respect the Gungan Senator. He then gives an amazing speech and shows how intelligent he can be. He should of been given this scene, there is no excuse for George Lucas cutting his scenes down, I find it pathetic actually that Jar Jar Binks had a massive role in Episode I but a minor role in Episode II. It is like George Lucas turned his back on the children and adults who loved him.

"Even giving him a Senator role seems to be trying to bring dignity to a much hated character."

The hate is unfair and the hate comes from some adults who originally watched the Original Trilogy when it was first released. The children love him and that is all that matters. If you hate a fictional character, then you need some serious help. He had dignity with me at the very beginning when he helped Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan reach the Naboo City to rescue the Queen and bring the two races together against the Trade Federation. I really don't understand anymore the people that dream about his death and make immature and childish images of him. I really don't.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.