main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why should an audience have to

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by hawk, Oct 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthTorgo

DarthTorgo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2002
    << Date Posted: 3/17 7:00pm Subject: RE: Why should an audience have to "tolerate" a character?
    >>>>Your "reason" doesn't make a lick of sense.<<<<<

Sigh. Jar-Jar said that he would be his humble servant. What do you think this mean? You don't think he served enough by taking the Jedi to the Gungan capital, he went with the Jedi trough the Planet's core, an so on and so on. >>

No, he did not serve enough. That is my point. He didn't DO ANYTHING except follow them places, and tell them the location of a couple of landmarks. You'd think a life-debt would last longer than 24 hours.

2. DarthTorgo

Feb 17, 2002
    <<But he's not overfriendly. He's a backstabber who hides behind his religion to protect himself and forgets about it if doing so would allow him to become "popular", like he did at the end of the movie when he "forgot" his life-debt.

LOL! Somehow I doubt this >>

What, did he accompany Qui-Gon at the end of the movie as he alledgely claimed the Gods demanded he do? He did forget about it. Either he did, or Lucas did.

<<Sure, he isn't exactly malicious in the movie

Good. Youve admitted that was a blatant attack.

If he had written him better, he could have come across as likeable annoying, and not "shut up," annoying.

I think you just need to lighten up a smidgeon. Theres the problem. You dont have to adore him though, so dont go nuts! >>

I don't adore him. I despise him. He is symbolic of everything I find wrong with TPM: too much attention to special effects, not enough to story and characters. I don't need to "lighten up a smidgen". What I said above I find to be true, if he wrote him better, I would like Jar-Jar a lot. But Lucas seemed more interested in creating a "funny" character, than a likeable and believable one, and so now we get the Jar-Jar I loathe so much.

<<Indeed, sometimes he is downright insensitive to other people, "How rude!" to the astromech droid who is trying to save his life

Im sure he was unaware of where they were going. >>

And why is that? Because he's a MORON. I wouldn't be suprised if you dissected his body and saw that the part of the brain allowing for rationaly thought was very, very tiny.

<<and "Did he crash yet?" right in fron of Shmi

Crash-ud. That was the term. It was an honest question. Not "did he crash yet?" Go read the script man. LOL! >>

Who cares? It still is the same thing! And no, I don't want to read the script. Reminds me too much of oppurtunites wasted.

<<not to mention him sticking out his tongue at Qui-Gon

That wasnt a sign of hatred man. It was because Jar Jar likes to examine things and Qui didnt let him. Hes still kid-like if I recall. >>

So what? Doesn't he owe Qui-Gon for saving his pathetic life? What about his life debt? Is that an adequate way of expressing your gratitude?

<<and his theft.

He didnt know it was for sale. He just thought it was out for free. He DID spend his time catching all the free food that he could eat on Naboo you know. >>

I thought he used to live with the other Gungans until he was banished. So wouldn't he know a little bit about the concept of "paying for stuff"? Unless we are supposed to think that the Gungans are communists, of course. Would he just forget about that merely because he was banished for a couple of years? I think Jar-Jar lacks any intelligence at all. If he had the slightest bit of wits about him, he would know that you have to pay for stuff and not just take it without asking. If Jar-Jar is that dumb, then Qui-Gon really should have left this stupid creature to eat mud in the swamp with all the other forest animals, many of whom exhibit more intelligence then him!!!! He is too stupid to survive in the real world. I'm suprised he survived in the swamp as long as he did.

<<Man. You must hate this character with a passion. >>

I do.

<<Take a chill pill and get acquainted with all of the good SW youve been missing out on because of this. >>

No, because I don't find it to be "good Star Wars". I find it to be "mediocre Star Wars."

3. HavocHound

HavocHound Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    "No, he did not serve enough."

For the love of Creation, you really are a Pharoah's whip aren't you, Torgo! How much is "enough?" What would satisfy your sadistic standards? Does he have to dismember himself to prove himself to you? Do you have children? Do you treat them the same way? Do they resent you? If so, you deserve it.

No one should feel that they have to prove anything to anyone! Jar Jar doesn't have to prove anything to you or me or the WORLD!!

4. Jedi Miester

Jedi Miester Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 27, 1999
    PEOPLE!

This post was NOT about weather or not Jar Jar was cool!!!

It was supposed to refute the belief that 'Jar Jar was put in the movie to show or teach tollerance' Can't you stick to the subject?

Wow, I just realized if you think about it, if someone really thinks that Jar Jar was in the movie to teach tollerance, that person MUST be annoyed by Jar Jar!!! (very ironic eh?)

BTW: If you think Jar Jar was just liked by some and disliked by others, your fooling yourself. Yes some of us (including me) liked him, but you dont see a World-Wide, highly publicized defamation and detest for a character like this unless MOST people despise him. Yes MOST people despise Jar Jar. His presence was a mistake. But hey, nobody's perfect, even GL!

<<<<<Yet ANOTHER anti-PM thread. B-O-R-I-N-G! >>>

In typical gusher response. If you don't like it. leave! Only a total wierdo would sit around making comments on a thread he/she doesn't like!!!

5. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    While some of us were patient enough to be able to enjoy him, most people aren't very patient at all. To me that is one of the biggest problems in the universe.

6. Darth23

Darth23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 1999
    I don't think anyone should have to tolerate a character ot a movie.

If you don't like a movie or a character you shouldn't watch that movie. If the laughs that character got from ordinary non uber-fans irks you, then that probably a personal problem. :D

7. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    "While some of us were patient enough to be able to enjoy him, most people aren't very patient at all. To me that is one of the biggest problems in the universe."

*sigh* An impatient person can enjoy a character and a patient person can dislike him. A intolerant person can enjoy a character too as a tolerant person can dislike something. Yes, I know, you were being general. *sigh*

8. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Fine people who hate Jar-Jar are on the right track.

Hows that?

9. MAROOTHDROOL

MAROOTHDROOL Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 26, 2001
    that's a good start.

10. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Really?

People who hate Jar-Jar are much cooler than people who don't have a problem with him.

They usually get more chicks, they have more friends (as long as said friends arent as pathetic as Jar-Jar, in which case those people WANT to be thier friends but are appropriately shut down).

When driving down the street people get out of their way so as not to remind them of Jar-Jar, cause you know how they get when someone needs a dissin.

I wish I was that cool.

11. dahveed72

dahveed72 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    Youre not necessarily COOL if you hate Jar Jar, but youre almost certainly NOT COOL if you actually liked him. And its doubtful you'll ever be a member of MENSA. Sad but true...

12. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    What's mensa? is that cool?

13. PruneF8ce

PruneF8ce Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    DarthTorgo, give it a rest.

14. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    "Fine people who hate Jar-Jar are on the right track."

I meant that both impatient and patient people can hate/love things just as tolerant and intolerant people can love/hate things. There isn't always a correlation as you suggest time and time again.

15. Darth23

May 14, 1999
    Yeah but tolerant people have more of a chance to like more things because they don't automatically jump to the position of hating things that might, at first seem a little annoying.

Actually I don't think the issue is tolerance specificially, I think, in the case of Jar Jar and TPM in general, the issue is more one of Judgementalism - which I guess is related.

16. DarthTorgo

Feb 17, 2002
    <<What's mensa? is that cool? >>

MENSA is an organization for gifted people.

17. ElfStar

ElfStar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    To answer the title question: The same reason we have to "tolerate" condescending narrowly-veiled personal attacks.

18. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    "Yeah but tolerant people have more of a chance to like more things because they don't automatically jump to the position of hating things that might, at first seem a little annoying."

Once again, you can't draw a link between hatred and intolerance like that simply bc of the definitions. Does the hatred stem from Jar Jar or does it stem from the nature of the person watching him? It can't be answered without extensive research. No force.net member is qualified to make these leaps about our natures. They shouldn't even be allowed to suppose bc it is completely being based on thoroughly biased and limited knowedge.

Why don't we drop this now and agree to disgaree. GMT can think what he likes. It doesn't change the person I am thank goodness.

19. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    I dont like Han Solo but I tolerate him, its just a movie character afterall.

20. EnforcerSG

EnforcerSG Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2001
    Look, we all make snap judgments about people and in this case charictors. The thing that people forget to do is realize that they may be wrong. We have to wait to see allot of their charictor before we can make a huge desision.

However, we saw allot of JJ in TPM IMO. It was not like we only saw him on Naboo, or only in limited situations. He was a fool he made a compleat ass out of himself throughout the movie. The very small time he didnt (courscant balcony with queen) did little to negate the rest of the crap he did.

Maybe (most likly) in AOTC, he wont be so much of an idiot, and then many opinions may change. Till then, he was an idiot who deserved to be banish for his safity and the safity, and he was still dangerious to others when he was accepted back into society.

21. Darth23

May 14, 1999
    "Once again, you can't draw a link between hatred and intolerance like that simply bc of the definitions. Does the hatred stem from Jar Jar or does it stem from the nature of the person watching him? It can't be answered without extensive research. No force.net member is qualified to make these leaps about our natures. They shouldn't even be allowed to suppose bc it is completely being based on thoroughly biased and limited knowedge.

Why don't we drop this now and agree to disgaree. GMT can think what he likes. It doesn't change the person I am thank goodness. "

---------------

This isn't an issue of research, its an issue of what someone believes and their view of life in general, and of course the answer will be different for different people. In my opinion, hatred comes from those who hate, and not from whatever the object of their hatred happens to be.

Beleive it or not, what a person likes and dislikes says as much about them as it does about the stuff they have opinions of.

22. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Hawk: "Once again, you can't draw a link between hatred and intolerance like that simply bc of the definitions."

What color is the sky in your world?

In your quest to maintain your beleif that it's "okay" to hate Jar-Jar, you have literally gone off the deep end.

There IS a correlation between hatred and intolerance, sticking your hands over your ears and crying out "That's not true" isn't going to change that.

I am not saying people who hate Jar-Jar are "All bad" but to me, hate is a destructive force that we would all do well to avoid.

Yoda: "Anger, fear, agression... The dark side are they. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny."

The only reason I comment on this phenomenon, is because until I got to the Internet, I couldn't fathom a SW fan who actually enjoyed hating things they felt "justified" in hating.

It just blows my mind that any of you would hold up your hatred as some kind of badge or something.

And again just because I can't repeat this enough, I am talking about HATE not DISLIKE. There IS a difference.

23. DarthTorgo

Feb 17, 2002
    <<They usually get more chicks, they have more friends (as long as said friends arent as pathetic as Jar-Jar, in which case those people WANT to be thier friends but are appropriately shut down)>>

Or if they aren't as selfish, or as rude, or as immature, or aren't so stupid and dim-witted that they make Homer Simpson look like Albert Einstein.

24. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Jar Jar = Good character in Star Wars
    Han Solo = Sucky character in Star Wars

25. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    You know for somebody who claims to be Han Solo's friend in their profile, you're not talking about him in a terribly nice way, SLAVE2 :p.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.