main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why should fans of AOTC have to defend themselves?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by DarthHomer, Mar 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    I hope this topic doesn't get locked, as my intention is not to attack prequel bashers. They're entitled to their opinions, and I think debate is a good thing.
    But increasingly there seems to be an assumption that the fans of AOTC are blinded by their love of the saga and can't admit it's a bad film. This attitude has caused me to ponder leaving the forums for good on many occasions. However, although there are a lot of people who do hate the film, all evidence points to them still being in the minority.

For example, of all the films of 2002 ranked by critics on the Rotten Tomatoes website, AOTC is number 250 out of 492, with an approval rating of 63%, which is average at worst. It made over $600 million at the box office worldwide which, while less than TPM, is very good for a film that many people were claiming was going to be rubbish before they even saw it.

Aside from the ridiculous Razzie awards, and disgruntled internet fanboys, I haven't seen anyone who genuinely thought AOTC was one of the worst films of the year. A disappointment, maybe, but it's still a film that most fans, moviegoers and critics enjoyed, at the very least.

So, to use a legal term, the burden of proof is on the prosecution. We can debate AOTC's pros and cons, but I see no point in attacking people for enjoying a Star Wars film, on a Star Wars forum.
    Peace, dudes :)

YJ edit: As DamonD said on the last page, "I don't think we can reach the original point of this thread with a 10-foot barge pole now."

2. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    "But increasingly there seems to be an assumption that the fans of AOTC are blinded by their love of the saga and can't admit it's a bad film. This attitude has caused me to ponder leaving the forums for good on many occasions."

That's what I don't like about it. I know two friends who refuse to post in the movie sections now in the last two weeks. People, we need to respect everyone's opinion and learn to be friendly with each other. What would a Newbie think of this? :)

3. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    I agree - I wonder why bashers come here?
    It's the Jedi Council, hmmm, it must be for people who like Star Wars....

4. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    "People, we need to respect everyone's opinion and learn to be friendly with each other."

Exactly.

Nobody should have to defend themselves. Their opinions? Maybe. It's one thing to disagree with an opinion, and post evidence against the opinion. It's another thing to disagree, and tell the other person that they have no taste and that they are a moron. The first is discussion. The second is flaming.

5. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    when i first watched AotC the only thing that really bothered me was the "i wish i could just wish away..." line. i thought to myself, "hmm did he forget his line?" lol.. but ya.. besides that i loved it... but the funny thing is that ever since i started to browse through forums and looked at other people's opinions, other faults and flaws have been pointed out to me about the movie lol... i guess its just kinda ironic that forums for star wars FANS have caused me to see AotC in a dimmer light (although, dont get me wrong.. i still love it :))

6. threepio_mania

threepio_mania Jedi Master star 3

Dec 15, 2002
    They shouldn't have to defend themselves. I may think that AOTC was only okay, but people who praise the film certainly should be able to without having to explain why(they are hardcore Star Wars fans, that often times is reason enough).

I think the Razzies have it all wrong. AOTC was far from being a terrible film. It certainly should be thought of as at least average. Besides, there is a lot of crap that came out in 2002 that deserves a Razzie nod more than AOTC.

7. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    We shouldn't have to defend ourselves. The "you're only fooling yourself" argument should be watched very carefully, IMO. To me it's a mild flame.

8. Frank_Booth

Frank_Booth Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 9, 2003
    Fans of AOTC shouldn't have to defend themselves, I agree. But critics of AOTC/PT shouldn't be attacked either.

We're all Star Wars fans here. Some of us love it all, some love only the OT, some love only the movies while hating the EU books and comics. Some even form "societies" to bash a single character!

It's all good to me, feel free to piss over ESB (as someone indeed did some time ago at the CT forum), I don't need to start questioning their motives or telling them to leave the boards or something.

Can't we all just... get along. ;)

9. weezyslob

weezyslob Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2002
    AOTC oWnZ j000 all.

Translation: AOTC is a very good movie, which I love.

10. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    "Fans of AOTC shouldn't have to defend themselves, I agree. But critics of AOTC/PT shouldn't be attacked either.

We're all Star Wars fans here. Some of us it all, some love only the OT. . . .
    "

I agree - two wrongs do make a right. But strictly Original Trilogy fans should'ent come into these boards solely to flame. If they do we have a right to meet their bashing head on. :)This Discussion Forum should encourage healthy debates, analzyation, and humor.

<[-]> Saber

11. yodaluke-wan

yodaluke-wan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2001
    "But increasingly there seems to be an assumption that the fans of AOTC are blinded by their love of the saga and can't admit it's a bad film. "

this is my main reason why i can not stand the bashers. they think we are blinded and all that, well no its not that maybe its just that we disagree and think ep1 and ep2 are wonderful films.

12. Jedi_Suzuran

Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2002
    I personally don't understand the "you're blinded" argument.

Are there things wrong with the movie? Yeah, to many. Not to me. I don't need to defend myself, and using that excuse is counterproductive.

My 1 cent. :p

13. Jack-D-Ripper

Jack-D-Ripper Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 21, 2002
    I think the Razzies have it all wrong. AOTC was far from being a terrible film. It certainly should be thought of as at least average. Besides, there is a lot of crap that came out in 2002 that deserves a Razzie nod more than AOTC.

The Razzies have always been quite tongue-in-cheek, and certainly aren't malicious awards, but I do think nominating AOTC for all those awards was in somewhat bad taste. AOTC is NOT a bad movie: it is a movie with a mixed critical reception. As soon as one person disagrees with another, you no longer have a matter of fact, but a matter of opinion.

I do NOT think, however, that fans should have to defend themselves, particularly against bashers that won't take responsibility for their own opinions and seem to like the blame the fans for their misery just as much as they like to blame George Lucas.

Some bashers like to think that all the fans of AOTC are just blindly gushing and refuse to look at the truth. That is a load of Grade-A BS, folks. The people that like it, just, well, uh, LIKE IT. I like AOTC very much, and thats not because I feel any special loyalty to George Lucas, but because I just happened to like it. Its a very simple explanation. And its like waving flag to the bull to a basher, because they can't logically attack such an assertion, and bashers thrive on conflict.

-JDR.

14. kithana

kithana Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 12, 2002
    In all honesty I don't know why I like AOTC I think that the whole SW saga is just one hell of a story line and I love the whole concept of the force and stuff its not due to 'loyalty to GL' its just because I think it just ROCKS.

My favourite character is Darth Vader and I have to say that I might be a little biased and want the prequel trilogy to be good but I have to say that GL's writing isn't that great. I mean you have a great intriguing storyline you have so much money to spend on making a film but the only problem I feel was the dialogue ... its sucked. Sorry this is not a flame because I love AOTC but I feel that it could have been done better if the love scenes were a little more realistic. It should have focused more on the love or the adventure of the plot rather than giving little helpings every now and then. I have to say that I have read better fanfiction on the JC than AOTC.

But then again I love AOTC :p

Kithana

15. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    "We're all Star Wars fans here."

I agree with that Frank_Booth, don't matter if you only like one Star Wars film, you are a Star Wars fan for that.

16. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    "Why should fans of of AOTC have to defnd themselves?"

They shouldn't have to.

"But increasingly there seems to be an assumption that the fans of AOTC are blinded by their love of the saga and can't admit it's a bad film."

This is not true of all fans of AOTC, but there are people who do push AOTC onto others and yet at the same time seem to have no real understanding of the film itself, nor dot hey have anything to back up their claim.

In short, its how people argue that bothers me, not what they are arguing for.

I can't speak for everyone, but thats my perspective.

17. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    "We're all SW fans"

Exactly, jsut because some of us don't like AOTC doesn't mean we hate all SW. I come to the AOTC forum because the best discussions are here, it doesn't matter if I don't like the movie because I enjoy the discussions. Besides you need a few people like me to keep things interesting around here :p

But in all seriousness if you are going to be critical like myself, it should be poltitely and nnot with flaming, that is wrong. But I would say that a lot of flaming gets done by gushers in the name sake of defending AOTC, and as there are about 100 gushers to every 1 basher, it often feels like we must defend ourselves. I'm told on a regular basis that I am not a SW fan, this hardly seems fair.

I wanted to love AOTC just as much as everyone else, I envy everyone who thinks its a great film and second only to ESB. But I'd be lying if I said I felt that way.

And there are those on these boards who take offence to the idea of someone not like AOTC (or any of the installments) and take it upon themselves to defend AOTC aggressively.

18. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    I just hate the sentiment..."If you hate 'Clones, why are you on a Star Wars board?".

Where is it written that because you didn't like ONE movie, you automatically hate ALL of the series?

Gushing can be as bad as bashing.

19. Red_Clone

Red_Clone Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2003
    I think the natural inclination of people when they see something they love attacked, is to defend it.

But I'll always love all of the SW films, regardless of anyone else's opinion.

20. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    "Gushing can be as bad as bashing."

I concur. I've read basher posts that show a great love and understanding of SW, and gusher posts that show such low opinions of SW and misinterrpetations of the story that at times its difficult to remember who is arguing what.

Att he same time, I'm not slamming all guhsers, there are plenty of people on these boards who are civil and intelligent, and I get along with nicely, even if we don't always agree.

21. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    As a basher I'm often forced to defend my *views*, but I never feel attacked personally, except in certain PMs from gushers.

22. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    Nevermind.

23. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    Do we really want to go down that road?

24. Jack-D-Ripper

Jack-D-Ripper Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 21, 2002
    I think there should be a review of the definition of "gusher". To me, a gusher is someone that has an unrealistically positive opinion. Calling AOTC the "Best. Movie. EVER" would be a gush, in much the same way that calling it the "Worst. Movie. EVER." would be a bash.

Saying that you like AOTC does NOT make you a gusher. Saying that you don't like it does not make you a basher.

-JDR.

25. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    I didn't mean to be offensive, what I meant was that no fan on these boards should feel like he/she is being attacked. We are discussing Star Wars, not personalities :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.