main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why should Lucas care about AOTC (prequel) detractors?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Go-Mer-Tonic, Sep 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    You don't have to agree. But when some one say they like the PT that doesn't mean we should bash call the names etc. becuase they liked it. Something better to do is ask why they liked. Or just say no I did not like not that much. That is far better then calling them names or bashing the hell out of them. They came here to talk about SW not diffened why they like AOTC. Just say ok you like I don't agree to diagree. We all have different tastes and ideas about SW. we can talk about drvieing people way. form the forums or form a movie they like.

2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    My point is there's plenty of that already. There are hundreds of threads dedicated exclusively to the unabashed praise of the PT. But if you see a thread like "Why should Lucas care about AOTC (prequel) detractors?" you should immediately know what is going on inside and avoid it if criticism of Lucas and the PT undermines your fandom.

Reading GMT is a pleasure. He typically states his point concisely and clearly. I could discuss the PT with him for hours on end, if only he would allow it. :) But I don't have the feeling that I have in any way shaken him from his dedication to Star Wars, nor would I ever seek to do that.

But anyway, my answer to the question poised by this thread is, George Lucas should care about what AOTC (prequel) detractors have to say for the same reason anyone should care - because what they have to say might be interesting and useful.

But like anyone else, George Lucas is free to ignore it.

3. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    Thats good but there are those we do drive away because of the bashing. We can talk about SW but and agree. Here's something I will ask you. In AOTC when Obi asked Anakin. "Why do I think you will be the death of me?" Were you not thinking. If only he knew if only he knew. Or how about near the and with Palpaitne looking at the clone troops. Were you not thinking if only they knew what was coming. Yes we no how this all ends. But for new people they may not know. So they my come here looking for answer or just to talk about it. But when we start bashing they leave because that was not why they came here in the 1st place. Some can take it others can not. So lets just lower the bashing level and just talk about SW not how dumb someone is for liking AOTC or TPM. A good exmple is jediguy. He came to talk SW not to be bashed for liking SW. May have saw something he liked about it. You may have saw something you did not like. Yu can both compere who you like or don't like with out the bashing.

4. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Again, I think the only time there's a problem is when someone who's overly sensitive strays into the wrong thread. In my view there's no need to tune this forum to accomodate only the most sensitive and easily offended among us. There's room for everyone, even the people who love to duke it out (in a respectful way of course).

There's a fundamental conceptual error that makes some people feel that dissenting views are a threat to their fandom. What moves me is a well-written sentence, a well-thought-out idea. I don't care what viewpoint it advocates, or whether it stands in direct opposition to my personal belief structure.

5. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    Then why bash the people that do that? Bashing does not make some one smart just dumb. A Smart person can talk with others with out call people dumb or any thing else that is why we have forums it talk about things with people who have different opinins not to bash them for the opinin. I'm glad you have any opinin but don't tell someone else that ther opinin is wrong and also some people may not know which forums to go to that are safe. Where they will not be bashed. Bashing is not bad when done in the right way. Exmple I like AOTC. Now with out bashing tell me why do not like it what would yo uahve done different? I'm not asking you to like it but give me better reasonother then GL or the acters because that is dumb was there something that you felt just did not work right? That is all any one is asking. they are not asking to be bashed for asking that or for liking a movie some one else did not.

6. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    You seem to be laboring under the misapprehension that prequel gushers are a downtrodden minority. In fact they are a vocal and often intolerant majority in this forum.

7. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    Ok but you also did not answer my qusiton what did you not like about the PT and leave GL and the acters what of it. becasue that has nothing to do with SW. I can tell you why I don't like the NJO. Tell me what don't you like about the PT?

8. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Wgen Han Solo says "I'm in it for the money" and "I expect to be well paid", is that the true message of the films? Is this George Lucas' thematic message?

9. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Why do we have yet another baited thread in the Clones forum?

The day after one was locked for predictibly descending into name calling and flaming and now this?!

[face_plain]

10. Punisher

Punisher Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 1998
    Amazing how the BASHERS start these threads, eh? ;)

11. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    This is a debate. People engaging in this debate have been mature enough to not flame each other.

Let's not change that trend okay?

12. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    "People engaging in this debate have been mature enough to not flame each other."

I have a hard time taking anything you say seriously Gome. ;)

Once again, the trend had already descended from the last two pages. Just read them. And the topic is ridiculous. Of course Lucas will not listen to his detractors. He's fortified in his own little Duchy in Marin surrounded by yes-men and women.

13. Punisher

Oct 20, 1998
    I think some responses have given good reasons as to WHY GL should listen to some of his ctitics...

If you don't want to acknowledge them or say they are wrong, then what is the point of continuing this....
    What do you do Gomer? Cover your eyes when you see something you don't agree with and go "NANANANANANANA" to the screen? ;)

14. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    "Then why bash the people that do that?"

Umm....bashers bash films, not people. You only need to think about the two threads, the one locked yesterday and this one, to find out who is doing the bashing of people.

;)

15. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    If I agree with the person, then I agree, if I don't then I don't. You should know, I have pretty much agreed with you here.

And this is a legitimate topic. Everywhere else you get a bunch of reasons why Lucas' ideas aren't any good, and I was wondering what makes everyone think their idea is better.

People have been telling Lucas he is crazy every step of the way with the saga. So I am wondering why some of these new critics think their advice is any better. At the same time, I am wondering how people can expect Lucas to care about what they want, if they don't care about what he wants.

16. Punisher

Oct 20, 1998
    What's funny is that I'm sure that 99.5% of the population doesn't even care that these discussions are going on!

They don't care, really, why should we?

17. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    That's the definition of fandom, though. Caring passionately about something trivial that the rest of the world doesn't give a damn about.

18. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Yep we all care. But one of the fundamental things I have noticed about many of the complaints leveled at the prequels seem to be people only caring about what they want, while the people who seem to think the films are fine have no problem allowing Lucas to do what he wants.

19. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Lucas already gets to do what he wants and we don't. That is why we come here and share our opinions. You seem to think this entails being rude and arrogant but it is just a little imagination. Didn't you ever wonder "what if?" after watching a film and try and think of a way that would make you enjoy it better. The fact that you accept everything without question means you ARE loyal but it might also mean you don't have much of an imagination to think of something different (not better but different) that may have worked too. It's a shame all you can do is back up George. It would be nice to actually get your imagination and "real" opinion one day instead of all your non-stop praise. *zzz*

20. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    I just don't need to tear apart someone else's creation to be imaginative on my own.

If you think you have to tear things apart to be "imaginative" then why don't I ever see you tearing apart the classic trilogy?

21. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    I haven't read all 7 pages of this thread, but here's my two cents. I'm not a prequel detractor, though I am something of a special edition detractor.

I do respect those who like the special editions (though not Lucas's stated reasons for making them) and those who don't like the prequels (though not the opinion that Anakin should be dark from day one).

There was a thread a while back that mentioned this idea as well: what is more important, whether the film matched the "director's vision" (a pretentious bit of auteur crap that, IMHO obscures the fact that films are a collaborative medium), or whether the film is actually any good? I'd say the latter. Lucas claims he always wanted Greedo to shoot first. Therefore, according to some, we should not complain.

We should, essentially, like whatever happens in Star Wars as long as Lucas is satisfied. Anyone answering the question "what did you think of Episode II" opens themselves up to attack for not liking it. "Oh, who gives a crap what you think, Lucas finally achieved artistic freedom, he can do whatever he wants now that he has digital technology, and he got the film he wanted." There is a bigger picture than that.

So I submit this question: what is more important, directorial self-satisfaction, or overall quality? Should a movies quality be based on whtether the director likes it? Are we all supposed to like the special editions because Lucas consideres them to be the official versions now?

22. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    I really don't feel bad when the critics feel criticised.

I think it is best that Lucas has final say. It's just his story to tell as he sees fit. If I happen to like it, then great. But no matter what error I could pick out of these films, I am not going to act like I could have done better.

I don't think everyone realizes what it takes to do something as monumental as a SW trilogy. I can't think of anyone who knows how to do this better than George. Is he always going to make the right choice every time? Of course not. But he has proven himself to be right more than his fair share of the time.

When you take on a task this monumental, it is important to keep things on course, and that means sticking to a meticulous schedule that they had planned out. Occasionally something will come up that doesn't go as they had planned, and they do the best they can to use what they have at the end of the shoot. At some point you have to accept good enough, because perfection is not possible.

23. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Jabba you are wrong about them being a majority. I think you are suffering from delusions of grandeur.

24. JediNdaCity

JediNdaCity Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    I've come to a conclusion on all this: George Lucas is making these films for all time. To be studied long after we're gone. These movies are designed to stand the test of time and that's why it's so frustrating for us now because we have been basically watching a work in progress for the last 25 years. When it's all said and done, this saga will be heralded as not only one of the greatest motion picture serials of all time, but also some of the greatest stories of all time. Right up there with anything Shakespeare has done. Consider yourselves blessed to have come up in the era of Star Wars. We won't see it's likes again for a very long time.

25. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    If you think you have to tear things apart to be "imaginative" then why don't I ever see you tearing apart the classic trilogy?

I could tear "Return of the Jedi" to shreds, but that film at least has the dignity to keep continuity with "Star Wars" and "The Empire Strikes Back". The reason we tear apart the prequels (not a good way of putting it, really) is, once again,

the prequels are BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.