main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why Spider-Man is Better Than Star Wars: Take it for What it is

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by ST-TPM-ASF-TNE, Jun 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    The Peter/Mary Jane romance was nothing better than the Anakin/Padme romance. People say Peter/Mary Jane have better chemistry, and in certain cases, I concede, I do agree, but overall, there is nothing special to the Peter/Mary Jane romance. It's like every other romance there is. But I'm afraid the romance goes along with the idea that critics that dismayed AOTC will make Spider-Man appear better than it actually is.

Again, I'm not bashing Spider-Man. I like the movie. But it's not as great as these critics give it credit for.

St

2. Twink_Kee

Twink_Kee Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 1, 2001
    "Uh, you're friends are weird then. Or maybe young or old."

Uh, no, most of my friends are nearly the same age as I am (in their mid to late 20s). It's just that...

"I don't know very many 20-40 year olds that haven't solidifed The Matrix as a classic already"[ (and compare any wire/leather/funky camera movie to it) - and the tons of comments on my series thinking that it was inspired by The Matrix (ugh, I hate that) solidify that."[/blockqupote]

..they don't rely on special effects to judge a movie's merits. They rely on story and characters, both of which are laughable in the Matrix, particularly in comparison with the Star Wars saga. The FX in Matrix were not revolutionary. In fact, it's clame to fame were the camera angles, which had been done well before The Matrix (as late as "Wing Commander" before it).

"I thought The Matrix was "okay" personally, but most of the general public has elevated it high in cinema history."

Cinema history? [face_laugh]

Where is your information from the general public to back this up? Of course, you have the hard core numbers from the general public - box office receipts - in which TPM wiped its ass with Matrix toilet paper. I'm not talking about a handful of stunt rip-offs that litter TV screens with camera angles that weren't even introduced by the Matrix.

You've been hanging around the internet too long, my friend, if you think the general public hates TPM.

"A flash in the pan? The Matrix has had a greater effect on pop culture than ANY movie in the past 5 years! TPM has had little to no effect at all."

Again I ask: WHERE is the effect? Because I'm not seeing it.

3. RiggsWolfe

RiggsWolfe Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 3, 2002
    Personally I loved both the Matrix and Spiderman. No offense to anyone here, but sometimes I Sense in Star Wars fans that they almost feel they have to dislike the movies that are competing with it in order to defend their Star Wars movie.

That said, I loved AOTC as well.

This article is shameful, the one that this thread is about. The reporter did pretty much ZERO research and I Could tell that just from the brief clip on TFN

"Spider-Man" drops sly pop references to other movies, a postmodern practice that "Star Wars" helped invent. Peter Parker's bid to raise cash by going mano a mano with a goonish pro wrestler in a cage recalls a similar Mel Gibson showdown in "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome" (1985).

This isn't a homage to Max Max, this is straight from the comic book, but the reviewer is so desperately looking for anything that will give Spiderman more credit he neglects to do any research as simple as asking children who are fans of the character.

And when the Green Goblin launches his lethal assault on Times Square, he blazes over the Manhattan skyline on a kind of jet-propelled surfboard, bringing to mind the Wicked Witch of the West skywriting "Surrender Dorothy" above Oz.

In his mind, sure. But the Green Goblin has always had his little jet platform thing. This attack is very typical of things the Green Goblin did in the comic books. If I read the article I could probably find many more examples of this, and believe me, I'm tempted, then send my observations into the editor to see if they'd have the balls to print it when I call one of their reporters on a lack of research.

4. Skywalk272

Skywalk272 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2000
    GG= Power ranger with Attitude . . . :D

"if anyone thinks that the Anakin/Padme love story is better than the Peter/MaryJane one, well, you should have your head checked."

*makes appointment to have head checked*

Once again apples and oranges. One is a childhood romance that is sweet, and the other is a very complex forbbiden love that all comes together at once after ten years of dreaming about it.

One is simple enough but blocked by the fact that Peter feels he has greater responsibilty,

The other is very complex that should be blocked but isnt.

Two completely opposite things.

5. MobartZmuda

MobartZmuda Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2002
    I love AOTC! I think Spiderman's alright. I'm a big Spiderman comic book fan so excuse my little tangent. Aside from the fact that the movies about Spiderman, "Spiderman" isn't that much like the comics. For one, Peter Parker cries like no other. Flash Thompson has black hair and looks like he's stuck in the Grunge movement of the early 1990s. Did they forget that Flash Thompson was the typical blue-eyed, blond haired quarterback of the school who ends up becoming Molten Man (don't ask). Plus, Flash Thompson went out with Gwen Stacy then Flecia Hardy (the Black Cat). Mary Jane didn't go to school with Peter nor did she live next door to him. Mary Jane's character didn't come around until the 1980s after Spiderman was out of High School. And I still can't get over Peter Parker shooting web out of his wrists, come on, if he's supposed to be like a spider it would come out of his ass.

6. abmccray

abmccray Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    Because I do CG. I work with 3D Max and Lightwave. Do you?

A clonetrooper is smoother, has less texturing, and less color - and has to move in a less agile, more robotic way.

Which do you think is harder?

7. DarthGunray

DarthGunray Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2001
    I haven't seen Spiderman yet, but many of the people who I know who've seen it (4 out of 5) say that it wasn't as good as everyone said it was. One friend of mine has seen both AOTC and Spiderman and he said himself that AOTC is much better than Spiderman.

As for me, I'll reserve judgement until I see it, but I can't stand these critics anymore! Especially how at the beginning of the article he says something like "Star Wars on the other hand, by the time it's over you're exhausted. What makes this movie sleep so much?" WTH? He contradicts himself so much throughout the article. :mad:

8. barxtherockingm

barxtherockingm Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2002
    AOTC was great. Matrix was great.

Matrix evoked more thought. What if nothing is real? how would we know? Who does?

I'm not to sure about Spiderman. it was good...

but there's something 'not there' i can feel about it.

I only saw Spiderman to support Raimi. We want Evil Dead 4.

So yeah, live and let live, and if you don't like Los Angelous, pick up a BIll Hicks cd and listen to him bash those "Lizard Scum"

Hilarious.

9. abmccray

May 16, 2002
    ((I'm on to you CG man......remember what i said!!!!!!!!
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=6870997&start=6875746} I FOUND YOUR FIRST POST, your a basher and a flamer[/link]
    STOP FLAMING and i wont report you! ))

That's the review of a basher? Hahah, go right ahead and report me. My review breaks many of the stereotypes that many of you seem to put forth about anyone disliking the movie, so please link it as much as you want as well.

Do you know what a basher or a flamer is? I wonder what goes through some of you guys' (not all) heads sometimes.[/link]

10. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001
    All right, guys. Let's cool it.

11. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

Jun 27, 2001
    Yes, listen to GriffZ you must.

Remember Gold Leader's words of wisdom

Gold Leader - ANH: Stay on target

;)

ST

12. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Ok, I just read the entire thread, and I have one question...

Is abmccray being paid by Sony?

13. JBFett

JBFett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    If spiderman is better than star wars, then so is teenage mutant ninja turtles the movie.

What a joke.

14. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    The Matrix is ok, but it's just too pandering to pop culture too much. To say it it inspired pop culture is wrong it's merely a reflection of what many consider cool.

15. Jawa70

Jawa70 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2002
    I live in England and we haven't got Spidey til mid-June.it amuses me that worldwide, AOTC is ruling the box office whereas spiderman isn't yet, and all the silly US SW fans panicking about another films success. Spiderman is an American icon, Star wars is a worldwide one. Aotc will make more $'s around the world this year, i guarantee it.

personally i don't give a **** about this Spiderman Vs AOTC thing.

thank god i'm not an insular Yank.try looking outside your window sometimes.

16. abmccray

May 16, 2002
    ((Ok, I just read the entire thread, and I have one question...

Is abmccray being paid by Sony? ))

It's called being one of the few unbiased people on a Star Wars fan site that happens to be educated in the art of moviemaking.

17. Obi-Wan2001

Sep 6, 2001
    Abmccray, that's the most ignorant statement I've ever heard. Congradulations!

18. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001
    Guys, I said cool it.

19. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Abmc I think Yoda, Watto, Taun We, Lama Su, the Acklay, the Nexu, and the Reek were all better looking than the CG Spider-Man.

Who agrees?

20. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

Jun 27, 2001
    That brings up a good point. I think I would have liked Spider-Man better, had the special effects of Spider-Man swinging through the streets of New York been more realistic and not so "cartoony".

ST

21. abmccray

May 16, 2002
    sdj, none of them had a human form. You can only compare clontroopers/Anakin/Obi Wan, etc. to Spider-Man. Things that do not resemble things we already know tend to fool our eyes a lot easier.

22. Skywalk272

Skywalk272 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2000
    *Looks at way thread is going*

Oh! . . . Not good! :eek:

*Thread pulls me over into stormy seas*

23. Jawa70

Jawa70 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2002
    i agree about the multitude of CG characters in TPM & AOTC all looing better than Spiderman. Spidermans CGI sucks from what i've seen.

24. Obi-Wan2001

Sep 6, 2001
    :D Skywalk272

25. Rupert_Pupkin

Rupert_Pupkin Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2002
    Face it, people. Spider-Man is a superior movie. Great acting, wonderful likable characters, a good down to earth story, plus a good soundtrack! Sam Raimi did an excellent job! I also don't understand the bashing of Spider-Man's effects. They were perfect for the movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.