main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why Spider-Man is Better Than Star Wars: Take it for What it is

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by ST-TPM-ASF-TNE, Jun 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ardens_Furore

Ardens_Furore Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    AOTC had thematic elements that tied in perfectly with the rest of the saga, and with the myths is was based on. One only has to look carefully into it in order to find the depth that is actually in all of the Star Wars movies. There are literary experts who understand this, but for the most part, many analysts see themselves as above an analysis of popular culture such as Star Wars.

As for the visual effects - Spiderman was untextured and looked rather flat. On the other hand, it's going to be hard to identify with certainty which clonetrooper was real and which wasn't. In addition, creatures were integrated seamlessly with live action, which is extremely difficult and points to greater skill. It is also far easier to build a CG version of an existing city than to build one of an imaginary city. One simply needs to take reference photos and base their textures on it. Hell, frontal projection maps let you take one picture from a certain angle, and as long as you model your buildings roughly in the shape at that angle, you can apply the texture and have it look almost exactly the same. The key here is that there are reference images to go off of. I frequently map real images as texture maps to increase the reality of my renders. ILM had no such luxury for shots of Coruscant. That is why it was made with the help of both CG and miniatures.

2. the_darke

the_darke Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2002
    When it comes to critics attacking SW (and there is a difference between criticising and attacking) it has nothing to do with cinematic merit. I don't know who said this but if anything were true this is it "Critics are critics because they failed in the field they now criticise".

It's plain jealously and it's guaranteed to get them column inches (and hence money). If a film has a large budget it get's criticised, if it makes money it get's criticised, if it is popular it is criticised. Why? Because it's easy to highlight faults and supposed faults and it annoys people- and in doing so makes them more noticeable and more likely to get more money.

It's a Parasitic relationship and it's similar to the Tabloid-Hollywood Star relationship- you'll never see a front page of a Tabloid saying "Big Star makes large charitable donation" it will always say "Big Star caught in a hotel room with a goat"- why? because people buy it, whether it's true or not. Jealously is what drives Hollywood and what makes it profitable- just ignore them and there bitter little ways, I'm sure George does- because at the end of the day he goes home to a loving family, a very healthy bank balance and a wildly successful set of production companies. If George doesn't care- neither do I.

3. Rupert_Pupkin

Rupert_Pupkin Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2002
    Scared me away? How old are you kids?

Why should I bother backing the stuff I say when you people are ready to disagree with me. Gwen Stacey was a boring character who brought nothing to Spider-Man. I will always stand by this. The loss of Uncle Ben and injury of Aunt May already got the point across about the harm of loved ones.

4. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    It's simple Spiderman is "flavour of the month", Star wars is the venerable old warhorse. simple as that.

Couldn't have said it better myself. S-M is doing great at the BO because it's new, and people are fickle. Just wait for future S-M films, they'll end up just like Batman.

!snap

5. Jawa70

Jawa70 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2002
    If George can get over Howard the Duck and More American Graffiti, i'm sure he'll accept the 'failure' that is AOTC while he's counting his pitiful $3bn fortune.

6. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Yup.

BTW, Rupert_Pumpkin, I'm older than you ;)

ST

7. Rupert_Pupkin

Mar 10, 2002
    Flavor of the month? Spider-Man has been around a lot longer than Star Wars and it has a bigger following. The record breaking $300 million in 20 days is proof of just how much Spidey is loved.

8. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

Jun 27, 2001
    How do you know it has a bigger following? I'm not saying it's not true, but I've heard people say this before. I'd like to see some evidence that proves Spider-Man has a bigger following.

And besides, we can't say that Spider-Man is doing incredibly well because it has a bigger fan base. Spider-Man is playing on 1,000 more screens that AOTC is. In Spider-Man's second week, it made 223 million. In AOTC's second week it made 202 million. That's only a 21 million dollar difference. If AOTC was playing on that extra 1000 screens, it would definately be ahead of Spider-Man by now.

ST

9. JBFett

JBFett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    ST,

It doesnt...how many people are in the spidey fan club...now count the million upon million in the SW one.

10. Rupert_Pupkin

Mar 10, 2002
    Spider-Man came out 15 years before A New Hope. It quickly became the most popular comic book hero that Marvel has. Yes, even more popular than X-Men. Spider-Man is huge. The kids who grew up with Spidey now have kids of their own who read Spider-man.

JBFETT,

please, i gotta know. how old are you? do you realize how stupid that was?

11. snap-hiss

Aug 23, 2001
    There is no way S-M has a bigger following. No way. Look at this board. It has 70 times the users of any S-M board. Celebration II had 30,000 people there each day. Are strictly Spider-Man conventions even held?

!snap

12. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

Jun 27, 2001
    But that doesn't prove it has a bigger fan base following Rupert_Pumpkin

ST

13. Rupert_Pupkin

Mar 10, 2002
    Oh, so because 2001 A Space Odessey doesnt have any conventions.... does this mean its not the greatest science fiction movie ever made?

ST,

if you seriously want me to get proof... ill search around for it.

14. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001
    Rupert, I told you to watch the name-calling.

15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I have seen both films, I liked both films.
    I'm not sure if some people bash one film in favor of the other because they are more of a fan of the opposing film.

Spiderman is a good movie, it was very well done. I saw it once. I will own it on tape(or DVD if I can afford one).
    Aotc I have seen twice, the third time is coming up tomorrow. I will go see AOTC evry weekend for awhile, I might stop around 6 or 7 times.

Critics are folks who get paid for their opinion, that is the only real differance. Many of them scoff at certain films and praise others.

I like Lawrence of Arabia; great flick. But I would rather watch Predator.

I would rather watch AOTC than Spiderman. The thing is many people won't allow such a "Neutral" opinion. Your are supposed to love one and hate the other or some damn immature thing like that.

I like both, I prefer ANY SW film over Spiderman, but I truly like both films.

16. snap-hiss

Aug 23, 2001
    No no no. Don't change the subject. You were proven wrong about your statement. Deal with it.

!snap

17. Jawa70

Jawa70 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2002
    Pupkin, flavour of the month in terms of film.
    i mean look at 1977's version of spiderman compared to Star Wars.look at Spidey's fan base then?where were the big crowds for that pile of ****?

stop talking crap! SW is waaay more popular worldwide than Spidey.always will be.Besides Superman kicks Spidey's proverbial 'ass'.

18. Rupert_Pupkin

Mar 10, 2002
    Proven wrong? Because of the fan club statement? OMG. LOL!!!!

19. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Pupkin, just curious. Why are you here? Are you bored?

I'm not flaming, I'd honestly like to know.

TVB.

20. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    2001: A Space Odyssey
    Great film. Boring as hell. Sorry, if a movie is boring it cannot be the greatest sci-fi movie of all time. Star Wars is the greatest sci-fi movie of all time.
    Star Wars is #15 all time on AFI's top 100 movies list. 2001 is number 22.

21. johnglen

johnglen Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2002
    I love the fact that you all agree with yourselves and feel happy about that.Anyway SM has a bigger fanbase than SW.SW is just a movie series while spider man is an icon not only in the U.S but in the whole world.One look at the box office buisness of spider man in small countries(like..Taiwan,South Corea,Brazil,Argentina,...India)may surprise you.Other than that threads like this in fan forums are useless cause everubody is too biased and you can't have a decent arguement.

22. Rupert_Pupkin

Mar 10, 2002
    Oh please! Star Wars is good, but it doesnt come close to 2001 or Blade Runner.

john is right. this forum is too opinionated. you people think star wars are perfect movies. that is just silly. how on earth can you stand this place when its full of gushers? no difference in opinions! You all are like THE BORG! One mind. Lucas brainwashed you all.

23. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

Jun 27, 2001
    We can't say that Spider-Man is doing incredibly well because it has a bigger fan base. Spider-Man is playing on 1,000 more screens that AOTC is. In Spider-Man's second week, it made 223 million. In AOTC's second week it made 202 million. That's only a 21 million dollar difference. If AOTC was playing on that extra 1000 screens, it would definately be ahead of Spider-Man by now.

Exerp from one of my posts above. I put it here because I added it in an edit, and I want certain people to see this.

ST

24. FatherVader

FatherVader Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 27, 2000
    Spider-Man is new in the area of film making. It is newer than Star wars in the area, that is what people are talking about.

Not how long Spider-Man has been around.

25. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Oh please! Star Wars is good, but it doesnt come close to 2001 or Blade Runner.

Well, AFI which is highly respected and rather unbiased completely disagrees with you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.