main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why Star Wars is insulting

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by york_bites, Jul 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. york_bites

york_bites Jedi Youngling

Jul 7, 2003
    All the stuff they have, like lightsbers and blaster, came about A LONG TIME AGO, we still don't have them.

2. KosmicKnine

KosmicKnine Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    Could you clarify what you're saying? I think I understand, but your post is somewhat confusing in its explanation.

If what you're saying is that since Star Wars takes place "a long time ago" but we in real life don't have the technology that the characters use in the movie, perhaps you should then pay attention to the second part of the statement "...in a galaxy far, far away." The characters in Star Wars have the technology they have because they developed it in their galaxy. Just because many of the characters are human doesn't mean that they are supposed to be ancestors of the humans living hear on Earth. It's hardly insulting that a different group of people somewhere else far, far away developed technology that we ourselves haven't developed.

If you are attempting to make a point different than what I was commenting on above, you'll need to clarify your original statement in order for me to understand your point.

3. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    It's just something to avoid fixing SW at a particular time or place.

4. GrandMoffTarkin

GrandMoffTarkin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 22, 2001
    *blink blink*

Uhh. I agree? ?[face_plain]

5. DarthGenesis23

DarthGenesis23 Jedi Youngling

Nov 19, 2002
    Why are so many people posting pointless forums and asking strange questions?

ITS A MOVIE! its not suppose to reflect the real world. Neither the technology nor the strange array of races.

Its for the imagination, and so is the time and the place.

6. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    Your complaining that we don't have lightsabres yet in the real world? I don't understand your question. :confused:

7. sellars1996

sellars1996 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    Hmmm ... presuming that this is not a tongue in cheek post ...

Lesson Number 1 in How Not to Win Friends and Influence People:

Don't go into a board where people have a common interest and like with the apparent goal of insulting or demeaning the common interest or like.

8. DarthGenesis23

DarthGenesis23 Jedi Youngling

Nov 19, 2002
    Who is demeaning or insulting the common interest?

It just simply looks like strange questions and it takes up alot of other forum headings actually making more sense

9. jimkk29

jimkk29 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2002
    Um.. Ugh.. What? ?[face_plain] ?[face_plain]

10. Marbe

Marbe Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    DamonD is right--it's pretty pointless to try and figure out when SW occurs.
    For all we know, the person writing "A long time ago..." could be in the far far distant future and SW takes place in the far distant future.
    There's just no way to tell, so give it up and don't ask dumb questions expecting to have them seriously considered.

11. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Wait, Star Wars may not have happened yet? I thought it already happened? I thought it was real! [face_shocked] :_|

*runs away crying*

12. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I think it's better not to take the "A long time ago..." clause so seriously. I doubt Lucas was even thinking about the implications of it. He just wanted to create a parallel to more traditional fantasy stories.

13. Jade's Fire2003

Jade's Fire2003 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 12, 1999
    Or you could look at it this way:

Star Wars happened in our galaxy a long time ago, but eventually, because of technology, species conflict, or whatever, the population destroyed itself. Then, by a matter of chance, a few lone humanoids survived and ended up on the little rock we call Earth with the intention of survival and the eventual reconstruction of society. Now, assuming these people were your average run-of-the-mill Republic citizen, they wouldn't know how to recreate their advanced technology in the same way a bunch of college students stranded on some far off island wouldn't be able to build a computer out of bamboo and seaweed. Thus civilization would have to rebuild, losing much of its original identity because of the need for adaptation. These people have evolved into us, and we have not yet regained the technology that was lost, but the history of our ancestors has survived, passed down from generation to generation, eventually reduced to myth and legend, a point where it has almost been forgotten. George Lucas has decided to tell us our story in the hopes that we may remember and eventually recover what we once had...

:)

14. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Or you could just use a standard ST out and say that it all happened in a parallel universe in a different time/space continuum... [face_mischief]

*runs and hides*

15. Spiderdevil

Spiderdevil Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2000
    OR you could remember that they're only movies.

16. HanSolo69

HanSolo69 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2003
    I assume your lack of space slugs and death stars is also disconcerting as well right york? It's a movie by a guy in the 70's. Science Fiction. Fiction. There. I'm glad we got that covered

17. Jade's Fire2003

Oct 12, 1999
    Some people have a difficult time separating fantasy from reality...

:D

18. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    *steps in something and looks down*

Trolls! :p

19. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001

No! That's not true! That's improbable...err, impossible! [face_shocked] :_|

20. Jade's Fire2003

Oct 12, 1999

The lawn gnomes think differently...

:p

21. darkOmegazer0

darkOmegazer0 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    What!? They're only movies!? I thought they were based on a true story! :eek:

22. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    What is this all about? ?[face_plain]

23. Jade's Fire2003

Oct 12, 1999
    Don't worry, darkOmegazer0, all myths, legends, and the like find their basis somewhere in truth and fact...

:)

24. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    I think the original poster was just doing a bit of humor...

I think people have taken him far to seriously

25. Marbe

Marbe Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Funny, so much controversy over one person's comment. heh.

Wait, I thought Star Wars was a documentary... Fiction huh? Forgive me, but that idea's a little hard to swallow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.