main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why Stormtroopers are NOT Clonetroopers,

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by O_B_1, Oct 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. O_B_1

O_B_1 Jedi Youngling

Oct 17, 2004
    Well, after attack of the clones Jango Fett died so they have no more DNA of his to copy (why else would they keep him there?) Well since they have age accellertion then the ones that had been around longest (5 years i think) were around 20 so wouldn't be suitable soldiers as they'd be around 80 in ANH. Maybe they found a new host but i think that they didn't, coz it'd ruin this theory :D

What du think?

2. General_Kor

General_Kor Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2004
    Some will say there are different templates used for the clones besides Jango later on. I personally think they aren't all clones.

I foresee and EU Basher vs. EU Gusher debate coming. *puts on flame retardant suit*

3. FETT3

FETT3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2004
    Were not the "old" clones virtully wiped out during the clone wars? That is why they reverted to "drafting"
    people to become stormtroopers? I don't know, just a theory.

4. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    What the heck makes you think they didn't save samples of Jango's DNA for future use? Rather silly not to, if you ask me. Similarly, I'm sure once the empire was into full swing, people who weren't clones were indoctrinated to serve the military - some voluntary, some not. Besides...with as much as the empire needed, I'm sure individuals other than Jango may have been used for cloning needs at a future date.

5. Sarg_Kulo

Sarg_Kulo Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    The clones *would* be around 60 in ANH.

Whats wrong with Cloning a Clone?
    You wouldn't even have to alter anything in it.

6. Ogmios22188

Ogmios22188 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 12, 2004
    Actually, the novelization of "Attack of the Clones" shows that when the Kaminoans tried to clone the clones of Jango Fett, there were genetic problems. So, that means they couldn't use Boba Fett as a template for Stormtroopers, either. Like was said earlier, the Stormtroopers are probably remnants of the original Clone Troopers, newer Clone Troopers made from saved Jango Fett DNA, clones of other people, and recruits/prisoners/slaves.

7. Chaotic_Serenity

Oct 10, 2004
    60 years? *quirks eyebrow* We're biological age, right? Hmmm...well, they were able to genetically alter them to grow to adult human size by the age of 10, what makes you think they didn't add more to the genetic structure to also hold back on the physical aging as well?

8. Ackyuna

Ackyuna Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 30, 2004
    I think that the facilities on Kamino were destroyed, and stormtroopers still have some clone troopers, but most are normal people cause many clones died in the clone wars.

9. Ker-Soth

Ker-Soth Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2004
    I doupt there are any clone troopers left during ANH.
    It seems that the Empire was constructed to facilitate some kind of racism between humans and other species so there would be little problem in finding eager candidates for the white uniforms. There are a few lines that indicate such a status.

-Alien scum. ESB
    -they didn't have wookies in mind when they designed this thing. ROTJ

The entire empirial fleet,all the commanders and generals we see, is composed by humans, though there are millions of planets and species within the Empire.Not really logical if we do not attribute it to racism.

If that is the case then there would be no reason to resort to the more expensive solution of cloning.

10. PalpatineAntikristos

PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    "If that is the case then there would be no reason to resort to the more expensive solution of cloning."

Actually, in the long term, cloning would reduce costs because you would standardize all equipment. Southwest Airlines in the United States, one of the few profitable major U.S. airlines, has chosen to only use one type of plane which reduces maintenance and training costs. Making equipment conform to alien body shapes and quirks would make costs go up. It's not a sign of "specism" as much as a sign of practicality, as humans appear to be the most common species in the GFFA, so making clones from them would be the logical solution.

11. b-wingmasterburnz

b-wingmasterburnz Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2004
    I doubt humans are the most common species. In a galaxy of approximately 400,000,000,000 stars and 20,000,000 species, we've seen very little of it. I like what the prequels have done, what with showing many more non-humans that you can take seriously.

Personally, even if Lucas says otherwise, I think that the clones are all but gone in the OT. After all, they speak of the Clone Wars as if they're something of a bygone age, so they can't still be in full swing.

12. BauconBatista

BauconBatista Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    Personally, I believe that the clones DO still exist in the Original Trilogy... only off-screen. I think the remaining clones are used to recruit and train real humans, using their Mandalorian heritage to bring up these Joe SixPacks.

Of course, Episode III could prove me wrong...

13. Chaotic_Serenity

Oct 10, 2004
    Lucas' commentary suggests they do. He played with the fact that there's a mis-edit in ANH where a stormtrooper knocks his head off the door while running about the Death Star...so he had a scene where Jango was escaping Kamino where he bumps his head getting on his ship. :) He basically said he threw this in for a teasing interplay saying the stormtroopers picked it up from Jango's DNA. So I think he at least believes some are left.

And while the empire may not have chosen clones because of racist issues, I think it can be fairly well argued that the empire is both speciest and chauvanist in most aspects. How else could you explain the blatant dislike of aliens and decidedly male cast amidst them?

14. O_B_1

O_B_1 Jedi Youngling

Oct 17, 2004
    If you could clone clones then why keep Jango at Kamino? They'd be paying someone who has no use, thats the logic i get from that. And it is clear that the empre doesn't trust aliens, as they never use them and by the enslavement of chewbacca for little / no reason.

15. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    Actually, in the long term, cloning would reduce costs because you would standardize all equipment.

This is totally true.

It is, however, an argument against OT clones since we can clearly see that the troopers are not all the same size and shape.

16. Ker-Soth

Ker-Soth Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2004
    Chaotic_Serenity I was under the impresion that the bumping thing was ment to show that the helmets are not very confortable

-How can they see in these things? Luke ANH

Cloning would only lower the cost in creating one-size armor.Not weapons and everything else. The prossess we see in AOTC seems much more expensive than drafting,so even in the long run cloning is much more expensive and troublsome.Very unlike desiding what type of plane you are going to use.If they weren't racists they would probably have a lot of wookies, wouldn't you?

17. Vote_Palpatine

Vote_Palpatine Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 26, 2004
    Why Stormtroopers ARE Clones:
    Because George Lucas says so on the commentary track. That's reason enough for me.

By the way. In a world so advanced as Star Wars were it is possible to create fully functional clones, it would most likely be possible to continue making clones from samples of the orrigial host (Jango Fett). And it would most likely be possible to stop their ageing process when they reach their prime.

I also think that the main reason for keeping Jango Fett on Kamino was to keep the project a secret.

18. BombadGeneral

BombadGeneral Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2004
    Minor correction: Taun We said the clones have been given "growth acceleration".

Not "age acceleration".

I see no reason to assume the clones continue to age faster after full maturation.

19. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    Why Stormtroopers ARE Clones:
    Because George Lucas says so on the commentary track. That's reason enough for me.

He also says on the commentary that Yoda is the love child of Kermit the Frog and Ms. Piggy. So I guess you accept that too?

I see no reason to assume the clones continue to age faster after full maturation.

I see no reason to assume that they don't continue to age at 2x speed.

20. BescinPrix

BescinPrix Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 19, 2004
    I was under the impression that ALL stormtroopers WERE clones.

Yeah, so some of them look a little taller than others in the OT. Well, in the 70's, there was no way to use CG to make them all look the same, and it'd be difficutl to find enough people that had the same height to satisfy the amount of stormtroopers needed for the shots.

Also, Leia said to Luke when she first saw him "Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?" Why would she say so, if they weren't all suppossed to be the same height? And don't give me that "The empire only recruited people that were 6'6"" line!

The empire did have a military academy, but these people went there to become officers, not merelly stormtroopers. the troopers were, indeed, clones. Just because Jango died, it doesn't mean that they didn't have DNA samples. If they didn't, what did they do, go swab Jango's mouth everytime they wanted to make a batch of clones?

21. majin_yami

majin_yami Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 14, 2004
    I think that the cloning facilities were destroyed. The Kominions (whatever) would have kept samples of Jango's DNA. I think they kept him there because fresh samples of DNA made better Clones. That's why the Stormtroopers in the OT are rubbish shots because they were cloned from old DNA. They could also use DNA from Jango's dead body left in the Geonosis Arena as well.

22. Boba_Fett_123

Boba_Fett_123 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    There are other cloning facilities than Kamino that survived the Clone Wars.

Personally, I subscribe to the theory that most of the stormies are clones, but the higher ranking stormtroopers and the officers are humans that went through the academy. The stormtroopers are grunts; the Empire wouldn't waste time putting humans through an academy if they had clones available.

23. Rylis

Rylis Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2004
    Think of it like the US Army. We have veterans which would be like the clonetroopers by the time ANH comes around. Stormtroopers joined an academy i'm pretty sure. Although on the other hand, they still have Jango's DNA since the whole army is a copy of him. I'm really not so sure anymore.

24. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    "He also says on the commentary that Yoda is the love child of Kermit the Frog and Ms. Piggy. So I guess you accept that too?"

That's hardly the same thing. One was stated as a fact, provided in the film as a fact, and is seen by Lucas as a fact. The latter is clearly a joke.
    George later stated more than one source was used as a template.
    Seeing as clones are genetically altered to obey any order without question, it doesn't make sense to accept recruits where everyone's different and rebels could sneak in to the ranks.
    The whole point of AotC was to show where troopers came from.

25. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    The Stormies are all clones. The officers are enlisted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.