main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Why TFA is going to resonate with a lot of young people (and do very well)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by clonewars-fan, Oct 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clonewars-fan

clonewars-fan Jedi Youngling

Oct 16, 2015
    We are living in an age where minorities are standing up for themselves. In particular, young single women and young black men. There are a lot of issues in the media around these two groups.

With women, it's about third wave feminism, wage equality and sexism. With black men, it's about oppression from the powers that be. Whether or not your personal political views are for or against these movements, hear me out.

Young women who go to see this movie are going to immediately identify with Rey's character. They will see a young, single woman, on her own, struggling to make ends meet and living a difficult life. They will immediately see themselves in her character. They will be rooting for her. If they are not Star Wars fans already, identifying with Rey is probably going to create an entire new generation of young girl fans who love Star Wars because...they see themselves in the movie.

Black men are going to see Finn...someone on the run from a powerful, corrupt establishment, who really did nothing wrong. He just stood up for what he believed was right. They will see themselves in him and instantly be drawn in.

Let's be honest: Star Wars has traditionally been white male fantasy. But with Rey and Finn, it is turned on it's head, and it's going to create a huge audience. There will also be a great opportunity for Disney and Lucasfilm to inject subtle social commentary into these three films because of these characters. While that hasn't traditionally been the role of a Star Wars film (and some would cringe at the notion), tastefully and carefully executing this objective will only serve to make the films more popular and more well-reviewed in the eyes of many critics.

Now, don't get me wrong: I'm not saying Daisy and Boyega were cast BECAUSE they are female and black. That is not what I am saying at all. They are tremendously talented individuals and certainly earned their roles, regardless of their gender or race. But it DID happen that way, and it is likely going to be a huge boon for the franchise. It's going to create a huge, new generation of fans that get excited about Star Wars like they never have before. And it means the film is going to make a LOT of money.

Partially because of these reasons, I think this will be the best Star Wars ever...and it's just another reason the film should focus on the young leads as much as possible.

That's also why hard-core conservatives are trying to boycott it right now

2. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
  3. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    This is going to end well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.