main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why the bad reviews???? Nostalgia...

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by 18-Toys, Jun 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 18-Toys

18-Toys Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 2002
    OK I am sick of reading all of these bad reviews from the most read papers and mags, the most seen entertainment tv shows, and the most heard radio shows. All of the big name reveiwers say how the movie was a let down. How it was better than the Phantom Menace, but just isn't nearly as good as the original trilogy.

Well maybe if you didn't put this movie out of context. These people (and it is nearly impossible not to do) reviewed AOTC with 'nostalgic biases'. They remember the first trilogy and compare it to that (as we all do). But how old were all of us when the first movies came out 5, 10, 15. How can anyone even try to compare this to a movie that they saw when they were 8. Of course you are going to think that that movie you saw when you were so young was better. You've had 25 years to think that it is the best movie ever.

Empire is my favorite movie of all time. And that is mostly based on that I have seen it a million times and that I have it built up in my head to be the best ever. But when you take all 5 films and compare them, I would have to say that aotc wins with storyline, action, special effects and acting (there has never been a SW with good acting).

All the critics need a reallity check and another seven years in film school.

Nate,
    www.ebaystores.com/18toys

2. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Holy moley you are cool. :D

My feelings exactly!

3. jedi-jeff

jedi-jeff Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 2, 2000
    18-toys

I would not get worked up over negative reviews for AOTC. I am old enough to remeber seeing the OT when they were originally released and they got many bad reviews (especially ESB and ROTJ).

One of the ironies is that ESB and ROTJ are my favorite Star Wars films. Yet according to rottentomatoes.com, these two films got the worst reviews of any Star Wars film when they were first released (even worse than TPM or AOTC).

4. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Attack of the Clones is the second best Star Wars film to date and people should just start accepting that fact. :)

5. Lord-Gretzky

Lord-Gretzky Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2000
    I think one of the big reasons alot of people, critics, haven't enjoyed the two prequels too much is because they are somehow expecting instant nostalgia. The perfect example of this is Ebert saying there wasn't one memorable line from AotC. That's not the case for me personally, but I've seen it 11 times. Ebert made that statement when he had only seen it once. Who knows how many times he had seen the OT though, let alone the exposure everyone has had to the cultural submerssion of the images *and dialogue* from the original films for over 20 years. The OT's biggest advantage over the prequels is the nostalgia factor I believe. I personally think it's to difficult to judge the OT against the PT for that reason. I dunno. Who cares.

6. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    Do those negative review REALLY hurt you that much? If it gets reviewed negatively, will Episode 3 not be made? Will the DVD be any less cool? Will the OT lose some shine for you based on what Entertainment Weekly has to say?

No? Thought not.

Quitcherbellyachin'.

7. Lord-Gretzky

Jun 29, 2000
    Oh, ok. Hey, nobody talk about what you wanna talk about. Just talk about what that moron BobTheGoon wants to talk about.

8. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    Well really, could you please tell me why it's such a big deal that AOTC get good reviews? TPM and the OT films allgot horrible reviews.

Does your enjoyment of the film rely on the acceptance of so-called "professionals"? Do you really let them determine what is and isn't "good"? Howabout you make up your own mind.

It's the same argument for those who want AOTC to outgross every other movie, especially Spider-Man. Has anyone stopped to consider that maybe Spider-Man is more popular with the general public? No? Well, it IS possible.

A small group of fanboys isn't going to change public opinion. Sorry.

9. Lord-Gretzky

Jun 29, 2000
    It doesn' make us like it less, but I think it sucks when critics give bad reviews of the films personally because I happen to love all the films and alot of the public are swayed by people in the media. It's kinda like if someone talked crap on your buddy or a family member. It doesn't mean you won't like your friend or family anymore, but you don't like to hear them talk down on them, that's all. No big deal bro. So we won't talk about things you don't like anymore...just tell us what to talk about.

10. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    So let me get this striaght...there are apparently a lot of bad reviews in the media, yet AOTC has grossed HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS. So please explain to me why something like, oh, say....Amelie, which has garnered nothing but praise, makes only a few measly million?

If everybody liked the same thing the same amount then the world would be a pretty boring place, no? Why NOT allow people to dislike the movie? Just means more space/copies for you. It's not like Lucas ISN'T going to put out a top-level DVD, or spend less money on Episode 3.

Bad reviews are part of the territory. If you take personal offense to them, it's a good thing you weren't around during TPM. What a doozy.

And may I ask why you keep trying to goad me by saying we should only talk about what I want to talk about? I'd call that boarderline trolling. I'm only debating a point.

11. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    Why the bad reviews????

well maybe... just maybe... the movie is bad and considered mediocre at best by people outside of this board.

just a thought.

12. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    I think DrEvazan may have just hit the nail on the head.

Personally, I lvoed the movie, and thought it was the 2nd best Star Wars movie yet. That doesn't mean I couldn't name about 100 movies that are better than it. Story wise and performance wise AOTC doesn't measure up to well to some other films. Doesn't mean I don't love it, it just means I'm able to see it from the perspective of the casual, non-SW fan movie-goer.

I know exactly why AOTC and the other Star Wars films got bad reviews. The difference is I don't care, nor should anyone who just watches the movies for pleasure, rather than competition with another franchise for popularity, money or acceptance.

13. IMPERIALPILOT_SOLO

IMPERIALPILOT_SOLO Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2002
    The plot was lame and jumped around the love story really really lame. Seen better acting in a cerain n64 game I went to film school

14. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    "The plot was lame and jumped around the love story really really lame. Seen better acting in a cerain n64 game I went to film school"

You should have taken some English classes while you were at it.

15. jedi-jeff

Nov 2, 2000
    well maybe... just maybe... the movie is bad and considered mediocre at best by people outside of this board.

Of course the same could be said for ESB and ROTJ. The only Star Wars film that got somewhat favorable reviews is ANH. In other words based on the critcs, ANH was the only "good" Star Wars film.

16. Lord-Gretzky

Jun 29, 2000
    "Quit your bellyachin" sounds like a great point to make in a debate. So you're saying, don't let it bother me? Im not completely upset about it, but I can't just suppress my feelings personally, regardless of how minor they may be. It just sucks to me, but it's no big deal. I can't believe you did't understand my point. Did it not make sense? Do you like when people say bad things about things you care about or love or like? Im not saying my life is now consumed with it, but it does suck. And it's that much worse when thousands of people read or hear what they say that's all. I know that's how it goes, it doesn't mean I can't think it sucks. I'm not even talking about box office, I'm talking about the people who have already seen it and make up their minds only after they read some crappy review in some magazine. We are talking about the same people actually. Ultimately It doesn't matter to me, but on these boards we talk about everything that has to do with Star Wars and I think this specific things sucks is all, but it's no big deal. I understand that it's how it works.

17. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    So are you just here to complain? How do you propose to change these peoples minds? If the movie doesn't make them believe it is good, and they can only make up their minds based on someone else's opinion, then the movie did not accomplish it's goals and it is therefore a bad movie and deserving of whatever criticism it gets.

Personally, i think if people like it, great, more power to 'em. If not, great, no skin off my back. They can say whatever they want about it, because they have opinions just like me. If i'm better informed I can beat down their uninformed opinions.

If it's simply a matter of taste, it's my experience that you can't argue personal preference.

18. IMPERIALPILOT_SOLO

Jul 1, 2002
    the movie was bad, face it and move on. Its a dvd movie just play the good parts. Whats wrong with my english???

19. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Wow. A 'Jul 02' member. You're the first I've seen. Welcome.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]

20. jedi-jeff

Nov 2, 2000
    The movie was bad, face it and move on.

Since I liked the film, why do I need to face up to the movie being bad.

21. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    "the movie was bad, face it and move on. Its a dvd movie just play the good parts. Whats wrong with my english???"

See, this is a perfect example. I liked AOTC, our friend here didn't. Now, no amount of my complaining, whining, or yelling at him is going to make him change his mind. I doubt debate will either. And he's sure not going to change my opinion. We have to agree to disagree in order to co-exist with others.

So what exactly do you hope to accomplish?

BTW, SOLO, I was referring to your lack of punctuation, spelling, and grammar skills. They seem to be lacking for someone who "went to film school".

22. IMPERIALPILOT_SOLO

Jul 1, 2002
  23. Lord-Gretzky

Jun 29, 2000
    I'm not here to complain..my original post was just a theory about the role that nostalgia plays in the way people see these films is all. The complaining I'm doing has to do with you mostly. These specific movies have alot of baggage involved and I think that it's not as simple as you have put it. They have quite abit to live up to, more then any films ever have really, ya know? So it really isn't that simple. That's how I feel. Apparently yopu don't think people are swayed by people in the media, correct? It's no skin off back either if nobody likes the films either...crazy, we agree. However, it makes me kinda happy to hear when people enjoyed the film, and kinda bummed if they didn't, that's all.

24. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    "Apparently yopu don't think people are swayed by people in the media, correct?"

Of course I think people are swayed by the media. I said earlier that if someone has seen the movie, had no opinion, then saw a negative or positive review later and based their view of the movie on that then the movie failed in it's goal, which is entertaining the audience, and is therefore a failure and deserves the negative criticism. Personally, I only care if someone TRULY liked the film, not what they think they should feel about it.

25. IMPERIALPILOT_SOLO

Jul 1, 2002
    Bob you are so mean!!! I am sorry I will work on my English. People get so mad when you say the movie is bad. Why????? I know there should not be so many question marks at the end bob..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.