main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why the bad reviews???? Nostalgia...

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by 18-Toys, Jun 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord-Gretzky

Lord-Gretzky Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2000
    We are almost arguing the same point..My feelings for the movies are just that I want everyone to love the films like me, lol, however unreasonable that maybe. And I know too many people who say things about the movies, all movies and all art in general for that matter, that originate from somebody elses mouth, generally media types.

2. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    "Of course the same could be said for ESB and ROTJ. The only Star Wars film that got somewhat favorable reviews is ANH. In other words based on the critcs, ANH was the only "good" Star Wars film."

this is simply not true. instead of listening to what people say about the reviews of ESB ANH AND ROTJ, do a little research and you will find that this is just an overused excuse that is entire fiction, supported by the fact that GL makes the same claims of the films being ill-recieved.

its just not true.

the films got some bad reviews here and there but were otherwise well recieved by critics and fans alike. not so much for ROTJ but still more favorable then negative. actually when ROTJ came out it was the first time fans really complained about anything in the OT... ewoks.

3. Tukafo

Tukafo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    Somebody was asking why AOTC made 300 Million despite bad reviews while Amelie made relatively little despite great reviews.

Well there are many reasons for that. I just name two

- The "better" a film the more "specialized" it is. A great film typically doesn't appeal to everybody while many less good films try to appeal to as wide an audience as possible. In the process those films are watched by many people but are not loved by many. Take ID4. Very popular. But how many people would rate this as their favourite movie? Probably nobody.
    Great films appeal to a smaller audience. This audience loves them to bits. Blockbusters typically appeal to most people but only very few love them.

- Amelie is distributed by a small arthouse distributor (at least in the UK, I don't know about the US). Those distributors don't have 30 or 40 Million to spend on advertising for Amelie. They don't have the power, Money or influence to distribute 3000 copies. THAT's the difference between a blockbuster and a small release. If Fox would distribute Amelie, release 3000 copies and spend 50 Million on ads then Amelie would make over 100 Million at least

4. 18-Toys

18-Toys Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 2002
    I don't really care how much it makes. I just think that todays critics are out to make a name for themselfs by giving major films like 'Star Wars' a bad review. I couldn't even care less if they give it a bad review and don't like it. But don't go and say that 'A New Hope' is the best ever in the same review. I personlly think that ANH is technicaly the worst out of all of them.

Nate
    www.ebaystores.com/18toys

5. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    then why do successful films get good reviews? more and more it points to the fact that AOTC is lacking and not the criticisms of it.

6. Icebreaker

Icebreaker Jedi Master star 4

Aug 20, 2001
    ROTFLMAO at the IMPERIALPILOT_SOLO guy...
    [face_laugh]

EDIT: Supz 18-Toys?

~ICeBReaKeR
    Custom Prop Builder and Collector
    His abilities have made him...arrogant

7. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    jedi-jeff...
    "In other words based on the critcs, ANH was the only "good" Star Wars film."

Someone please remind me again. And the critics are wrong how? [face_mischief]

8. 18-Toys

18-Toys Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 2002
    then why do successful films get good reviews?

this is one case, not a general statement, and yes a good film is all in the eye of the beholder.

more and more it points to the fact that AOTC is lacking and not the criticisms of it.

Thats not my point... My point is, is that these so called 'professional' reviewers are being hypocrits.

Nate

9. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    >>>Well maybe if you didn't put this movie out of context. These people (and it is nearly impossible not to do) reviewed AOTC with 'nostalgic biases'. They remember the first trilogy and compare it to that (as we all do). But how old were all of us when the first movies came out 5, 10, 15. How can anyone even try to compare this to a movie that they saw when they were 8. Of course you are going to think that that movie you saw when you were so young was better. You've had 25 years to think that it is the best movie ever.<<<

And whats your excuse for the negative views on ROTJ? ;)

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

10. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Conversation I overheard at Subway today involving a middle aged female customer and a teenage male cashier:
    Middle aged female: "....Star Wars on opening night"
    Teenager: "oh yeah"
    Middle aged female: "That was a good movie."
    Teenager: "yeah it was."

See, people outside of these forums like this movie Dr Evazan. In fact, it seems to me that the only people actually complaining about the movie are critics and a few bashers such as yourself.

11. 18-Toys

18-Toys Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 2002
    are you retarded?? do you not know how to read?? I said (and I'll say it in sign language if that would help),

"I couldn't even care less if they give it a bad review and don't like it. But don't go and say that 'A New Hope' is the best ever in the same review."

These people are contradicting themselfs when they say the OT was good and the new one is not...

They are all the same, how can one be the best ever and the other be a 'sleeper'.

Nate

12. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    >>>These people are contradicting themselfs when they say the OT was good and the new one is not...

They are all the same, how can one be the best ever and the other be a 'sleeper'.<<<

Hmmm, that's funny. I don't seem to remember anyone stepping in poop in ANH or ESB. Come to think of it I don't remember seeing any 9 year old's in those movies either weird. ;)

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

13. 18-Toys

18-Toys Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 2002
    i was right you can't read...

i wasn't even arguing about that. i was arguing about critics contradictoring themselves.. but your right, ANH had some 'great acting'... and your also right about the 9 year old boy thing, yeah that had nothing to do with the story at all...

Nate...
    I've allways wandered, maybe you can help me... what was it like riding the short bus to school??

14. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    Careful 18, you're flaming.

15. MadMardigan

MadMardigan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2001
    Nate...
    I've allways wandered, maybe you can help me...

Might want to Edit that part before you get slammed.

16. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    I'd have to agree with BobtheGoon and MadMardigan. Better edit that post. Otherwise that kind of thing will get you a warning and perhaps a banning.

17. MadMardigan

MadMardigan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2001
    You can get banned for massive spelling errors and poor word usage while accusing someone of being retarded? :D

18. dahveed72

dahveed72 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    You can confuse the issue by citing various factors, but the most important one of course is that AOTC was not a very good movie. A lot more fun than TPM, but still pretty bad. To be fair, I think it wouldve had to be a MUCH MUCH better film to get the good reviews, but this is a moot point.

Sometimes you should just go with the simplest explanations, instead of "attempting" to psychoanalyze a vaguely defined group of complete strangers. On the other hand, it must make you feel better somehow. huh

19. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    Sometimes you should just go with the simplest explanations, instead of "attempting" to psychoanalyze a vaguely defined group of complete strangers. On the other hand, it must make you feel better somehow. huh

Well the simplest explanation for TPM's success would be that it is the 4th best movie ever made.

20. dahveed72

dahveed72 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    I said SOMETIMES foxbat. Sometimes the simplest explanation is also the STUPIDEST!!

"the sky is blue because its gods favorite color" etc...

Its not a hard and fast rule, foxy, youll have to figure it out yourself.

21. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    "Well the simplest explanation for TPM's success would be that it is the 4th best movie ever made."

Is that opinion or based off of box office? If opinion, you're welcome to it, but I can think of a few thousand movies better than TPM. If box office, that really has no bearing on whether a movie is good or not. It just means it appealed to the group that had the most money to spend (rabid fanboys, perhaps?)

22. 18-Toys

18-Toys Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 2002
    i am sorry, i would never ever consider myself a 'flamer'.. far from it.. i'll let others be 'flamers'.. i liked natalie portman, but it seems someone else likes mark hamill... can't we all just get along?? and agree with everything i have to say??

nate the 'non-flamer'

23. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    "Well the simplest explanation for TPM's success would be that it is the 4th best movie ever made."

you can say it as much as you want foxbat but it aint gonna make it come true. to you maybe but not to the majority who view AOTC as another dissapointment.

its funny how people always like to say "why do you post here if you dont like it?" well maybe they dont. ever think of that? and by limiting your perception to the positive words about AOTC here on this board you are missing the outside reality that many people were dissappointed with this movie.

thats my opinion. take it or leave it.

this is a place for opinions foxbat, not a place for people like you to make statements and expect them to be accepted as dogma.

24. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    "i am sorry, i would never ever consider myself a 'flamer'.. far from it.. i'll let others be 'flamers'.. i liked natalie portman, but it seems someone else likes mark hamill... can't we all just get along?? and agree with everything i have to say??"

It's not "flaming" in the homosexual sense.

Maybe someone should read the Welcome New Users thread...

25. 18-Toys

18-Toys Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 2002
    i understand....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.