main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why the bad reviews???? Nostalgia...

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by 18-Toys, Jun 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    man, you must be bored...

2. Bresson

Bresson Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    DrEvazan,

In one post you point out this fact:

"not to the majority who view AOTC as another dissapointment"

"you are missing the outside reality that many people were dissappointed with this movie. "

Then you try to pass it off as this:

"thats my opinion. take it or leave it.

this is a place for opinions foxbat, not a place for people like you to make statements and expect them to be accepted as dogma. "

Which is it? CLONES is a bad movie because it's a fact that "many people were disappointed" or that it's your opinion. Because if you're going by your first statement, you need to bring up facts and numbers. If you're going by your second statement, you're entitled to your opinion. But it's not a fact.

Just thought I'd point out your own contradictions. You can thank me later.

3. onehate

onehate Jedi Youngling

Jul 1, 2002
    bob, you must be bored for noticing that i am bored on this board...

people can have their own opinion about any movie..

but i'll be damned if i'm going to sit here and listen to 'movie critics' go on tv and try to make a name for themself putting down what is really one of the best SW movies of all time.

onehate Biaaaaaaaaaaaatchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

4. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    18-Toys/onehate: You may not be able to be banned, but I rest much better knowing that you use AOL, and that I am not restricted to such a crappy service. No wonder you have such a fixation with "Full House", Bob Saget and the Olsen Twins...it's the only thing the parental controls that your mom set doesn't filter.

5. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Hey, I use AOL too. :p

But yeah, it sucks.

Sianara onehate. IP banned you are. //Yoda

6. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    It's okay, Bob. The bad man is gone now.

[image=http://www.angelfire.com/folk/bknews/images/saget.gif]

7. onehate

onehate Jedi Youngling

Jul 1, 2002
    dont associate me with 18.. i am here to talk about AOTC and how the critics percieved it... you need to get on the ball bob, and talk about star wars.. i really don't understand why you're getting on 18 anyway he made a lot of good posts about aotc.. it's too bad your too uptight to see that.. and he wasn't the one to post about 'full house' either.. it was 'baldewok' the guy who didn't like rotj but had a weird fasination with ewoks... please lets keep the topic on aotc...

onehate

8. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    uhh...

huh?

anyway thanks for trying to clear that up?

here let me help

IT IS MY OPINION the the majority of people outside this forum think AOTC is a bad movie, based an what ive seen and who ive talked to... hardly something i can put into figures...

so this is all you disagree with?

wow i guess i hit the nail on the head with everything else i said then.

thanks, im glad you agree.

9. Imperial_Guard

Jun 13, 2002
    18-toys/onehate: Didn't you get an IP ban? You just won't quit...

10. Tukafo

Tukafo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    the majority of people outside this forum don't like AOTC or feel indifferent about it. That's a fact.

What makes me think it's a fact? Simple. Exit polls mean nothing as they only ask the guys that went to see it opening weekend. People who went on the opening weekend are mostly fans, either hardcore or casual, and are therefore more inclined to like it. What the exit polls are doing is effectively asking Star Wars fans whether they like a Star Wars film. Pointless figures.

But what makes it really clear that the majority don't care about Star Wars is THAT THE MAJORITY DON'T EVEN GO AND SEE IT. Think about it. How many viewers did AOTC have? 30 Million in North America? A lot of that is repeat business so we might be talking about 20 Million different people here. That means that about 300 Million people in North America didn NOT go and see the film. Sounds like the majority to me.

11. Imperial_Guard

Jun 13, 2002
    Good point but you could say that about every film, even Titanic, since it would be unprecedented for the majority of the North American population to see the same film at the box office.

12. Tukafo

Tukafo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    yes, you could say that about every film. the difference is that with other films there usually isn't a claim that that film was "liked by the majority of the world's population".
    Actually I sometimes get the feeling that the majority of people don't even like Science fiction (that's the feeling you get by talking to a lot of people).

I just wanted to point out that doing well at the box office doesn't mean your film is liked by the majority of people.
    ANH often wins polls for the most popular movies of all time. In some polls the film gets as much as 20 % of the votes. That's huge but it doesn't tell you a thing about what the other 80 % think about Star Wars

13. Imperial_Guard

Jun 13, 2002
    Well, saying that a film is "liked by the majority of the world's population" is going a bit far, I agree, but SW place in pop culture, especially western pop culture, cannot be ignored either. I think it would be more accurate to say that a film, in this case AOTC, is liked by the majority of people who have seen it. I also agree that there is a certain stigma when it comes to science-fiction and part of that has to due with fandom itself.

14. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    DrEvazan, so at least 55% of critics giving AOTC a positive review, AOTC getting high scores in exit polls, fan reaction being overwhelmingly positive and $500 million and counting at the worldwide box office mean nothing, but some guys you talked to who don't like AOTC proves that the majority hate the film? Can't argue with that logic. :)
    I could just as well say that out of the five people I know who have seen AOTC, all of them loved it. So that means AOTC has a 100% approval rating among the public. See how silly that would be?

15. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    I have no problems with AOL. AOTC rules!!!!

16. Qui Gon Binks

Qui Gon Binks Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 20, 1999
    Actually, the dreaded RottenTomatoes has given AOTC a fresh rating, about the same rating the Sum of All Fears is getting I think. And by the way some in the public and press are talking, that's a well-received film. I haven't seen it yet so I can't comment on how good it acutally is unfortunately.

AOTC is better received by critics and definitely by fans. Maybe it's not an overwhelming majority like it was for the OT, but it's nowhere near being categorized as disappointing for me. It's a vast improvement on TPM and its tepid,lukewarm praise

17. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Man, you kids are hilarious. Anyone who's ever spent more than a day on these boards knows that it's pointless to get into a debats with Mr. Ewok. He will never like any of the new SW films. But you know what, it's his opinion, and people's opinions aren't "wrong." We can agree to disagree, but no opinion on this topic can be objectively viewed as "right" or "wrong."

18. TwistedMentat

TwistedMentat Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2002
  19. Jar Jar

Jar Jar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 1998
    Well my friends, who are not big into Star Wars at all, all liked the film immensly and many have seen it two or more times as have their friends and girlfriends. I have seen it five times and I have taken my parents and with the exception of one guy in one showing who was obviously having a bad day, reactions have been general approval. I have talked to people outside of the theatre and overheard several conversations about the film at work from patrons, and they were all along the lines of "the critics don't know s--t!".

I'm no expert on this matter and I don't work for Gallop or anything, but I'd say that based on my own experience, a majority of folks liked the movie and thought it was very good or at least good. To be sure, I am surprised by this seeing as this one really is more for the fans, but it is a good surprise. Perhaps reactions differ in some parts of the country? If so, I feel bad for those who live in areas where the majority dislike it, for I truly feel that no Star Wars film will ever please them. Too bad.

20. vulcanjedi99

vulcanjedi99 Jedi Youngling

Feb 23, 2002
    I rememeber talking to a guy about a year before TPM came out; I met him at some party and anyway; turns out he was an artist making some "stuff" for TPM. (toys merch..etc.)

I asked him, "so, is it amazing! have you seen some of the new designs????!!!"

I was drooling with excitement... (mind you a year before the premiere...)

here's what this guy said..

"The bar is so high for this film and the expectations are so high that it will be impossible to meet people's expectations."

Of course I was sort of hurt and dissapointed by him saying this. But the more I thought about it I realized he was right.

The media completetly exxagerated the popularity of the first trilogy; it is not and never was universally loved; not at all.

Very popular yes; but not by all.

The media made it seem like; all of you, everyone of you will love this film...

no sir.

It was set up for disaster unlike the OT which came out of nowhere; and by the time the reviews came out; it was too late! Word of mouth had spread; people liked it; plain and simple; there was no Lucas conspiracy; people just flippin liked it; darned the critics...

21. damygjakyl

damygjakyl Jedi Youngling

Jul 2, 2002
    I don't know. Almost all of my friends who saw Attack of the Clones said it was 'Just Alright, but I loved when Yoda was flipping around', and I can actually see that. If your not a Star Wars fan, the movie is rather long, and unless you know a lot of the back story it is rather hard to follow. All of this though is fine. In fact I think it's great. The movie was made for the fans, and the fans seem to love it (most anyway). Giant companys like Fox never take chances with movies that only the fans will really love. But with the name Star Wars they know that it will sell regardless. All of which I could really care less, as long I get the movie that I want, and I did....

????

22. Lord-Gretzky

Lord-Gretzky Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2000
    Wow, this place got outta control for awhile. Im kinda pissed off I missed it. If anyone here thinks that nostalgia doesn't play *some kind* of role in how the PT is seen too most, you're stupid.

23. I-am-not-a-jedi-yet

I-am-not-a-jedi-yet Jedi Youngling

Jul 1, 2002
    >>Wow, this place got outta control for awhile. Im kinda pissed off I missed it. If anyone here thinks that nostalgia doesn't play *some kind* of role in how the PT is seen too most, you're stupid.<<

:_| Please be nice

24. Lord-Gretzky

Lord-Gretzky Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2000
    Be nice? Or don't be mean?

25. jedi-jeff

jedi-jeff Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 2, 2000
    I am shocked that this thread has not been locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.