main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why the disdain for the Special Editions?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Radiohead, Jan 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Radiohead

Radiohead Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    I've been here long enough to notice the clear disapproval of the OT Special Editions. My question: Why?

I know, I know: there are certainly some misjudged edits (Greedo shooting first comes to mind). Also, one might recall the old maxim, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

But, if considered fully, nothing in the Special Editions takes away from the original versions. In fact, I think the films become stronger with the enhanced special effects and the added scenes. (Is there a soul who believes that the re-edited ROTJ ending was a step down?) And I don't think the Special Editions necessarilly tarnish the integrity of the original versions. After all, George Lucas himself presided over the changes. And I'm sure he had the prequel trilogy in mind; doing so provides a stronger cohesion throughout the whole series.

Don't get me wrong, though. I'm not one of these people who is clamoring for a Super Special Edition. (CG Yoda in the OT, etc.) In fact, I very much like the original, pre-SE versions. But, it's Star Wars, and I love the Special Edition versions just as much. I just don't understand the great disdain for the SE.

2. Lanky

Lanky Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    I guess it has to do with how long you lived with the Original version. I only saw it in about 1994, so perhaps it wasn't so shocking to me as it was to others. I love the Jabba sequence of ANH :D

3. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    When they first came out, I thought it was great. I finally got to see the OT at the cinema!

But watching them now reveals horrible sfx that looks even more dated than the original model work (which is still the best of any movie, ever).

The thing is I loved some of the additions, particularly Luke meeting Biggs before the battle, and the battle itself. Stuff like the Mos Eisley extensions were really unnecessary and Greedo shooting first is just bewildering madness. The wampa looks great, but the sarlacc looks annoyingly bad. Han's meeting with Jabba is perhaps the worst display of CGI ever committed to celluloid (and I'm including Dragonheart: A New Beginning and stuff like Interceptor Force). And the ROTJ musical number? They were willing to spend potentially millions doing this sequence whilst leaving the rest of the film intact, particular the final space battle that deserves a little more screentime (which I know was filmed).

4. Tayschrenn

Tayschrenn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2002
    While I doubt that this is in anyway an all-encompassing reason, I do think that there is an Old Vs. New factor as to why some people do not like the Special Editions.

Tayschrenn

5. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    Sort of, but not necessarily.

I love watching an old film that has something 'new' in it. That's the appeal of deleted scenes, to retain some freshness to a film that you potentially line by line.

But if those changes actively change something about the story or the characters rather than add to it, something's wrong with that. It's like Leonardo Da Vinci coming back from the dead and adding a moustache to Mona Lisa.

You have to be very careful about how you change a work that has had such a cultural impact and that two generations have now grown up with.

I can accept such changes if it was proven that GL always had such a thing in mind, but couldn't put it into the film because he wasn't allowed to due to pacing/time constraints. But not new stuff that he's constantly thinking up, then claiming was his original vision. If the rumoured archival editions are to be released after 2005, I'd be very scared at what additional changes will be made. This time to make the OT fit into the PT (which is madness and the worse possible way to tell a 'story')

6. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    Well, I hate the Special Olympics Edition simply because of the new CG Jabba's Palace music video.

I also hate it because GL basically wants to eliminate the original version.

7. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    RedXavier you took the words right out of my mouth, I like your style.

Is there a soul who believes that the re-edited ROTJ ending was a step down?

Yes there are many souls who believe it was a HUGE step down. Especially me. ROTJ is my favorite movie and EVERY change literally had me writhing in agony in my theater seat. That Jedi Rocks number in Jabba's palace was not only the worst thing to happen in a Star Wars movie it was one of the stupidest things I've ever seen in any movie. For me Star Wars is about being cool. There is nothing less cool than Jedi Rocks, Greedo shooting first, and Han's finger passing through CGI Jabba. For those reasons alone the SEs SUCK.

8. YodaJediMaster12

YodaJediMaster12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 26, 2002
    While everyone can have their opinions as to why or why not they like the SE's (I happen to like them), there are some SE changes that I think every fairly sane person would approve of. These include getting rid of the greenish "blob" under the landspeeder in ANH, getting rid of the matting lines in the space battles, and getting rid of the transparency in the cockpit of the speeders on Hoth.

9. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I like the SE's with the exception of "greedo shooting first", "han stepping on jabba's tail", and the "extended song sequence in jabba's palace."

10. Elf

Elf Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 21, 1998
    I like 'em except for the Jabba's palace song, and the new scenes at the end of ROTJ. Sorry, but I kind of liked the Ewoks banging on stormtrooper helmets and such.

(Plus I grew up with that end tune and I thought it was kinda catchy...) :p

Elfie

11. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    For me, I could careless about which scene hurt the OT because I enjoyed the special editions very much.

12. weezyslob

weezyslob Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Simply because they are unnesseccary. Do we really need Greedo shooting first, or Luke screaming as he falls down the Cloud City shaft in ESB? Do we need that stupid new song in ROTJ in Jabba's palace? The answer is no.

13. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    " I just don't understand the great disdain for the SE."
    Because that's all that Lucas wants to exist, despite the obvious clamouring of millions of OT fans.

In my opinion, the greatest significant problem of the SE's, is that they preclude the possibility of the OT on DVD. I'll buy both, but I do want both!!!

See the .sig :)

14. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    Well...we can bitch and gripe all we want but I seriously doubt anything will change.

15. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Salty,

You're not feeling very moderate today? ;)

16. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    Personally, when they come out on dvd, I'll be doing some editing of mine own...

17. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    Lucas has a bug up his ass about the original release OT. I don't think that's going to change anytime soon. If you want those on something that's not VCR, then your best bet is the old LD's, VCD's, or transfer your original release VCR tapes to your computer. Those seem to be the only options at the moment.

18. Valkor

Valkor Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    I agree with a lot of everyone's observations. I really miss the puppet Sy Snoodles, she ruled the school. Plus, like Elf, I really liked the finale Ewok Song,

Yub yub Eee cha Know Wahhhhhhh

I also don't understand the idea of placing all these floating droids everywhere. I mean "what's the deal" <--- in best seinfeld voice.

Grape Nuts? No Grapes, No Nuts? What's the deal!

19. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I imagine Lucas will tweak the SE's for the DVD release and that will probably be the end of the changes. Or will it be....?

20. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    Well, considering GL's obsessive desire to reassert his changing vision upon his fans, I see no end in sight until he passes.

21. weezyslob

weezyslob Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2002
    I think he'll keep changing them until the day he dies.

22. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    You're probably right.

23. Juan_Tufte

Juan_Tufte Jedi Master star 1

May 28, 2002
    Have you ever seen an old woman who wore too much makeup, or had too much plastic surgery, or who wore really age-inappropriate clothing, all in an effort to conceal her age?

Have you ever seen a man who had a really obvious toupee, or who combed the remaining hairs over his bald head in a ridiculous fashion, to hide the fact he's losing hair?

The Special Editions are like that.

24. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    [face_laugh]

That's an awesome analogy.

25. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaha

That's sooooooooooooooooooooo perfect!

>DING< >DING< >DING< >DING< >DING<

[megaphone]"We have a winner!"[/megaphone]

Here's another good "visual" -- a guy in drag, pretending to be something else! [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.