main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why the disdain for the Special Editions?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Radiohead, Jan 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juan_Tufte

Juan_Tufte Jedi Master star 1

May 28, 2002
    Another reason why I hate the SE:

Lucas wants us to forget the original editions EVER EXISTED.

I've heard about, but have not seen, the absolute awfulness of the Holiday Special. This thing is supposed to be REALLY bad. I can understand why George Lucas wants to destroy every copy still in existence.

But why try to erase the original versions from our collective memory, George? Because Han shoots first? Because there is no confrontation with Jabba in ANH? Because Luke fell without screaming? Because we didn't actually see Vader take the shuttle to his ship? Because of "Lapti Nek"? Because of some outdated special effects?

Is this what you're trying to save us from, George? If it is, consider this: Is "Jedi Rocks" really an improvement? Are any of your changes really improvements?

Twenty years from now, that 90s-era CGI work will not only look dated, but it'll be inconsistent with the rest of the films! I guess it'll have to be reworked again and again and AGAIN!

2. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I don't know what the deal is with Lucas. Some of the improvements were good, but others just sucked. You bring up an interesting point about the PT. 20 years from now will somebody go back and redo the PT because the effects aren't modern enough?

3. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    The CGI in the SEs was so cheap looking. Lucas has really become a cheapskate more worried about saving money than getting good shots. The CGI Ronto was just a Jurassic Park brontosaurus with some fur added to it. And don't even get me started on the ending of ESB. The ending with Luke, Leia and the droids looking out the window. I consider that original scene to be one of the most beautiful, moving scenes I've ever seen. In the SE all of those ships docking and flying by are so horribly rendered they don't even look close to convincing. I was like "why is a badly drawn cartoon on the screen right now? I came here to see The Empire Strikes Back".

4. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    Hopefully, that will be fixed in the DVD releases.

5. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    I only hate the 'Greedo shoots first' scene and the 'Jedi Rocks' song.

The Rancor needs to be improved though.

6. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I don't hate any of the chances, that's way to strong an emotion to have about a film. It's not like Lucas killed my parents and ran my sister over in a truck, he just did some changes in my favourite series of films, that's all.

Anyway...the only additions I don't like are Luke's scream as he falls in ESB, and Greedo shooting first in ANH. Everything else is either great or good to me. I LOVED the new ending to ROTJ, and it's a great tie-in to the PT with Coruscant. The new tune is a lot more peaceful and soothing then the 'yub-nub' song (which had campy fun value, but I thought it was too silly for years and years).

Along with the graphical additions, the SE were also able to boost the picture and sound quality, and the original prints of the OT had almost completely degenerated when they started the project. If they hadn't though of doing it, they could've lost much of the original footage due to degeneration and that would've been a tragedy.

I love the SE versions. I still see the original every so often, but the SE's provide a clearly better SW experience, even if only in terms of picture quality and sound.

And I'm 25 years old, so I was around and did watch the OT at the time.

7. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    I don't hate any of the chances, that's way to strong an emotion to have about a film. It's not like Lucas killed my parents and ran my sister over in a truck, he just did some changes in my favourite series of films, that's all.

That's just about the most level-headed statement I've ever heard regarding the much-maligned Special Editions.

I'm 30, can't really remember a time when Star Wars wasn't part of my life and I have no problem whatsoever with the films the way they are now. Do I like all of the changes made? No. But they don't take anything away from the story being told, and the majority of them are good changes.

ROTJ's ending is an amazingly effective alteration. It's a beautiful new ending, and I wouldn't want to lose anything if it meant losing that new addition.

The Saga, as a whole, is a work in progress. The continued production of the prequels is proof. It's clear that Lucas sees this as applying to the OT as well, in an attempt to make the story as cohesive as possible. I see no problem with this if it means that some day I will own the complete Saga on DVD.

Personally, I have no use for the "original films" anymore if they don't reflect that future set of DVDs.

Just my 2c.

-Otis

8. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    I agree wholeheartely with Otis_Frampton. The ending for ROTJ now is MUCH grander and epic which equals MUCH better.

9. Darth-Vengence

Darth-Vengence Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    My sentiments exactly, Otis.

"The Saga, as a whole, is a work in progress. The continued production of the prequels is proof. It's clear that Lucas sees this as applying to the OT as well, in an attempt to make the story as cohesive as possible. I see no problem with this if it means that some day I will own the complete Saga on DVD."

Exactly.

Also, If the special edition's hadn't come out, then lots of young people wouldn't be interested in Star Wars as we first generations are. The special edition did have a lot of good changes, but I still saw things that needed improvement.

I do hope that George Lucas fixes these changes for the AE.

10. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    The only two changes I don't like is when Greedo shoots Han Solo first and when Luke falls screaming, but other than that, I don't understand why so many people actually hate them. The ending of Return of the Jedi is much improved in my opinion because we see what is happening around the Galaxy. There were some fixes to some technical issues that couldn't be fixed years ago also. People need to let go of their hate.

11. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    This may all be a moot point once the DVD's are released. If the rumors of additional scenes being shot for the OT are true, the SE won't exist anymore.

12. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "The SEs won't exist"

Hence, my .sig :D

13. Anadin

Anadin Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2003
    Have you ever seen a man who had a really obvious toupee, or who combed the remaining hairs over his bald head in a ridiculous fashion, to hide the fact he's losing hair?

So, that`s how they do it.
    Noted.

14. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Also, the Special Editions helped to move Hope, Empire and Jedi all up the All-Time Box Office charts, too :D

15. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    I've been here long enough to notice the clear disapproval of the OT Special Editions. My question: Why?

In and of themselves, I have no problem with the SE as a whole. On the contrary, it was great to see the OT in the theater again. I think that the ANH changes were unnecessary, and what needed to be fixed was not (the space battles, hello? Everything moves too slow, why not re-CG on those scenes?). ESB adds visual improvements (Cloud City). And as for ROJ, I didn't think the changes helped or hurt, they were simply changes.

But when we take this out of context of simply the 1997 release and put it into context of the big picture, I think what bothers me about the SE can be found in ANH: Unnecessary changes while benefitial changes are left undone. If that's the approach GL is going to take with the UE, I'd assume he leave them alone. Plus, I don't like how GL is using these to replace the OE. I still want to see the originals as they were. New stuff is cool, but not when it erases the originals.

16. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    But, if considered fully, nothing in the Special Editions takes away from the original versions.

Not true. They took out the Ewok song, and that is simply unforgivable.

17. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    In the SE all of those ships docking and flying by are so horribly rendered they don't even look close to convincing. I was like "why is a badly drawn cartoon on the screen right now? I came here to see The Empire Strikes Back".

What the hell are you talking about? Changes to the end of ESB? Do you have some secret version that I don't have? My ESB:SE ends with Luke, Leia. R2 and 3PO watching the falcon fly away into the stars. Or am I just reading your entire post wrong.

18. Lanky

Lanky Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    I have to second DDH here, there were no changes made to the end scene of ESB...

19. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    Lanky-

Actually, I believe they altered the image of Luke, Leia, 3PO and R2 so that it didn't look as "flat" as it once did.

Otherwise, you're right. There were no alterations made to the starships at the end of ESB.

Master Salty-

If the rumors of additional scenes being shot for the OT are true, the SE won't exist anymore.

The Special Editions don't exist. Check out the latest video release . . nowhere on the box does it say anything about being a "special edition" of anything, yet the films inside reflect the changes made in the late 90s.

It's clear to me that Lucas considers this to be the only real version of the Star Wars Trilogy. You may not like it, but it looks like that's the way it is.

-Otis

20. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    " The Special Editions don't exist. Check out the latest video release . . nowhere on the box does it say anything about being a "special edition" of anything, yet the films inside reflect the changes made in the late 90s."

A rose is a rose, even if you take the name off of the label.

The latest versions are the Special Editions, and if you are so easily persuaded otherwise by the removal of this term, then it proves the Dark Side's influence on the weak-minded :D

The SE's were named as such to get people into the theater to see all the new changes. It got me to go. I sat and kept thinking "that's different....that's cool....why are those stupid droids flying around Mos Eisly?", and as soon as I saw Greedo shoot first and Han's obscene head-jibe, I was pissed!. Not only was it am unnecessary change, BUT IT LOOKED BAD! It stuck out like a sore thumb!

Lucas simply removed the added moniker so that people wouldn't distinguish between the two versions. Obviously, stronger minds are prevailing.

21. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    Darth DarkHelmet,take a closer look and you may notice that every ship in the closing shots of ESB have been poorly CG'ed. The worst looking are the outside shots of the ship that Luke, Leia and the droids are actually in. Have you guys ever seen the REAL version of ESB? It looks much better.

It's clear to me that Lucas considers this to be the only real version of the Star Wars Trilogy. You may not like it, but it looks like that's the way it is.

Well if Lucas says that the versions that made millions of fans love Star Wars for over 20 years never existed then it MUST be true. How foolish of me.

22. Radiohead

Radiohead Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    Not true. They took out the Ewok song, and that is simply unforgivable.

That's only one thing. That's why I said "if considered fully."

Well if Lucas says that the versions that made millions of fans love Star Wars for over 20 years never existed then it MUST be true. How foolish of me.

Okay, but you're also ignoring the fact that the Special Editions lured a whole new generation of fans to the series (those who had never seen the originals). And I'm sure the SE's rekindled interest in older fans as well.

23. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    The SE's may be the only one's that are released now and that Lucas considers but it doesn't change the fact they're special editions. I don't mind the SE's for the most part but I think the SE's will cease to exist once the DVD's are released.

24. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "you're also ignoring the fact that the Special Editions lured a whole new generation of fans to the series."

It's not a factor in his evaluation. He's talking about older fans. Lucas wants the original versions to disappear from the minds of his fans. While the newer fans live in ignorance of this difference, the millions of fans who know otherwise have a significant and understandable gripe.

"I'm sure the SE's rekindled interest in older fans as well."

Exactly, the prefix "re-" means to do over. There was interest to begin with. These forums existed long before the PT. EU has kept it going for 20 years, and the SE's and PT did bring SW back to the foreground, but all this hooplah was based on enticing the new fans as well as the pre-existing fan base, which is now being snubbed.

Lucas has every right to make this judgement, but having the right to decide doesn't mean the decision is right. Ask any parent who's had to make decisions for their children. The kids don't always like the parents' choice, right or wrong.

Hi Salty!

(You're still it, BTW :p )

25. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I'm pleased the SE's brought additional fans to the fanbase and rekindled some people's passion for Star Wars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.