Why the disdain for the Special Editions?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Radiohead, Jan 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Unfortunately it seems that Lucas doesn't consider the original OT to exist anymore.

Hey salty why is that so Unfortunate?

Leave now and never come back. [face_plain]
  2. Radiohead Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Like I said in my previous post, CoolyFett, you're definitely taking it too far. I think I explained myself adequately in that post. And, while I do like the SEs (and the Originals), I don't exactly understand your complete--and I mean complete--disregard of the Original versions.
  3. MeBeJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  4. CoolyFett Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm So sorry Mrs.radiohead I'm completly-- I mean completly--I mean totally think you and MeBeJedi should get married!

lol
    lol
    disregard the laughter.
  5. MeBeJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    "disregard the laughter."

...among other things...
  6. CoolyFett Jedi Master

star 4
  7. Master Salty Jedi Knight

star 6
    Hey salty why is that so Unfortunate?

It's unfortunate because those movies were masterpieces BEFORE all the changes. ANH didn't win all those Oscars for no reason. I don't mind the SE's, but I think it's crazy to disregard the original releases.
  8. CoolyFett Jedi Master

star 4
    thats a good word to use Salty: Masterpieces, why didnt any else used that word. this totally different then some of the other nonsence.
  9. Master Salty Jedi Knight

star 6
    Everyone has their own reasons why they feel the way they do and their own way to describe how they feel. It's all a matter of semantics, but the point is the same. It doesn't make sense to disregard the versions of the movies that started the Star Wars phenomenom.
  10. Lanky Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I believe it was here that the issue of a CG'ed ESB ending was brought up. I went back and watched the ending on my OT and SE tapes could find about three changes.

1. 2 X-wings fly past the frigate before it is on-screen (versus flying with it in the originals).

2. The angle of the Falcon connected to the frigate is changed a bit.

3. The scene outside the frigate with Leia Luke and droids has been retouched so it is less brownish.

Other than that there were no changes made that I could see and no CG'ed anything.
  11. Radiohead Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Listen, we're all pretty sure that GL will go back to the originals to do some touch ups once the OT DVDs are ready to be released. And we know that there are certain things he should and shouldn't do.

Should he add any new scenes into the movies (a la the Jabba-Han dialogue)? I don't think it's really necessary. Should he fix the lightsabers in ANH and the matte lines in ROTJ? Absolutely. Or perhaps those little blobs on the Emperor's face in ROTJ? Sure.

But should he replace Yoda and Jabba with CG? I don't think so. Or maybe make the Cantina aliens into CG characters? It's not necessary. Because, personally, that's going too far.

Most of the changes GL made in the SEs were, to me, improvements that he had sought when making the films before '77, '80, and '83. I don't think there are anymore drastic changes to be made.
  12. Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep

star 6
    But should he replace Yoda and Jabba with CG? I don't think so. Or maybe make the Cantina aliens into CG characters? It's not necessary. Because, personally, that's going too far.

But that's what Lucas wants. He's always hated the Cantina, for example.

13. Master_Sidious Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I don't think you understand. GL vision is making the movies the way he wanted to make them. Now that he has the tech to finish the job, why should't he.

GL went back to his old movies beacues he didn't believe it represented his original vision, NOT because he thought it should necessarily compare to the prequel trilogy.

Cooly, did making Greedo shoot first represent his original vision. For that matter did any of the following represent his original vision:
    Greedo shooting first.
    Luke's dialogue about lucky to get out of there (instead of R2 not tasting good).
    Luke screams as he falls.
    Vader's dialogue about his shuttle.

If it did, he would have made it that way to begin with! Not one of those changes were due to lack of technology, they were due to his vision changing otherwise he would have done it that way to start.

You make blanket statements about GL's vision, but the above examples show the flaw in that thinking.

14. Radiohead Jedi Padawan

star 4
    GL went back to his old movies because he didn't believe it represented his original vision, NOT because he thought it should necessarily compare to the prequel trilogy.

This was actually my quote from a post I made previously. I think CoolyFett was quoting it for his response.
  15. Master_Sidious Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Sorry. Then consider the above comments directed at you, Radiohead.
  16. Radiohead Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I also said this, though: "Most of the changes GL made in the SEs were, to me, improvements that he had sought when making the films before '77, '80, and '83."

Let's cut GL some slack.
  17. CoolyFett Jedi Master

star 4
    posted by radiohead:

Should he add any new scenes into the movies (a la the Jabba-Han dialogue)? I don't think it's really necessary. Should he fix the lightsabers in ANH and the matte lines in ROTJ? Absolutely. Or perhaps those little blobs on the Emperor's face in ROTJ? Sure.

Most of the changes GL made in the SEs were, to me, improvements that he had sought when making the films before '77, '80, and '83. I don't think there are anymore drastic changes to be made.

See that! I TOtally agree seriouly. but I thought you didnt like the new stuff? maybe that was another guy.
  18. CoolyFett Jedi Master

star 4
    posted by Master sidious

Cooly, did making Greedo shoot first represent his original vision. For that matter did any of the following represent his original vision:
    Greedo shooting first.
    Luke's dialogue about lucky to get out of there (instead of R2 not tasting good).
    Luke screams as he falls.
    Vader's dialogue about his shuttle.

See master sidios to be honest with you I have never seen the old stuff. I really havent. the seens you are refering too, I thought were really apart of the movie. I know that Jabba was added, but alot of other things I couldn't tell you what was old and what was new. I used to think that starwars was some boring nerd stuff. I was chilling with a friend getting high. and while we were smoking we were watching ep1 on vhs. I dont know if it was the weed or what but two days later I went and bought ep1 for myself. the guy behind the counter ask me if I want ep4,5,6 and I was like what? he told me that its was the old movies fixed up. when I finally watch all 4 movies the ep4,5,6 tape didnt look old at all. compared to the ep1 tape. so I figured what ever GL did was great. Im not a film student or anything. but if youwere ask when when I thought ep4,5,6 were made I would have told 1990-1996 or something they down look light cheap 1970 flicks. they look good so I dont want to see what they looked like before. Maybe because i liked what I saw. I dont know if that makes any sense??
  19. Master_Sidious Jedi Youngling

star 1
    See master sidios to be honest with you I have never seen the old stuff. I really havent. the seens you are refering too, I thought were really apart of the movie. I know that Jabba was added, but alot of other things I couldn't tell you what was old and what was new. I used to think that starwars was some boring nerd stuff. I was chilling with a friend getting high. and while we were smoking we were watching ep1 on vhs. I dont know if it was the weed or what but two days later I went and bought ep1 for myself. the guy behind the counter ask me if I want ep4,5,6 and I was like what? he told me that its was the old movies fixed up. when I finally watch all 4 movies the ep4,5,6 tape didnt look old at all. compared to the ep1 tape. so I figured what ever GL did was great. Im not a film student or anything. but if youwere ask when when I thought ep4,5,6 were made I would have told 1990-1996 or something they down look light cheap 1970 flicks. they look good so I dont want to see what they looked like before. Maybe because i liked what I saw. I dont know if that makes any sense??

Uh, no, you are not making sense. I think you must have been smoking something when you wrote the last post. By the way, advertising your personal habits is not needed, although it would explain the thinking on some of your posts.

Just out of curiosity, if you have never seen any of the original scenes, how are you posting on a topic that is titled Why the disdain for the Special Editions? You have no basis for comparison.

Go get some munchies, find someone who has the original films, watch them, and then come back and post on this topic.

By the way, your name reminds me of the classic Simpson's line spoken by Milhouse.
    "My mom says I'm cool."
  20. Radiohead Jedi Padawan

star 4
    but I thought you didnt like the new stuff? maybe that was another guy.

I like both. As I said in the very first post in this thread, what I don't understand is the seemingly great dislike for the SEs by Star Wars fans.
  21. WellKnownCharacter Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Its a very tricky topic really. In my eyes (as a child of the SE's) I am open to changes to the originals. However I don't think we should ever disregard the original films because they are movie gold and something that means a lot to all of us on these boards. I personally view the Star Wars films as a saga-a saga that starts out grand and gradually gets more concerend with three or four characters, then reintroduces the epic elements at stake for a complete conclusion.
    I'm all in favour of making these films more visually cohesive.
    I don't mean I'm some mindless cgi-freak who wants gungans in the cantina but I want to view these six films as ONE story.
    If Lucas changed the dynamics of the characters or the story then I'd be pissed BUT I simply cannot have any affection for the original shot of-lets say- the rebels flying towards the death star. If Lucas wants to change the look of the OT to make it more realistic then I say go ahead.
    But I dont think we should forget the importance of the originals. Personally if I sit down to watch the OT then I watch the SE's , because they look more real and allow me to immerse myself in the story more. It doesnt mean that I like Hans hand passing through Jabba or seeing footage from Jedi in Empire but I can live with it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.