main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why the Double Standard?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by rpeugh, Dec 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    But opinions are infallible. Because they are a persons view, and you can't really argue that that person is wrong because they happen to like something you don't or vice versa.

I dont think people like yourself, Philip, are wrong, I just disagree with your opinion.

No matter what critics think or the reviews say, they aren't a sufficient backup for someones opinions as to whether AOTC is good or crap.

Besides the actual concensus here, which is important really because its a Star Wars site, is that AOTC is a really good film, you only have to look at the poll to see this. I mean we have what 87% of the fans on this very site giving AOTC 3 or more stars out of 5. Which shows it has a very good popularity. And thats in the face of the critical reviews which are only 60% favourable.
    It shows perfectly why Critics mean nothing, and its the individual's view thats important.

2. Philip023

Philip023 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2002
    I mean we have what 87% of the fans on this very site giving AOTC 3 or more stars out of 5. Which shows it has a very good popularity. And thats in the face of the critical reviews which are only 60% favourable.
    It shows perfectly why Critics mean nothing, and its the individual's view thats important.

But wait a sec. This is a fan site! People are going to like it no matter what, right?

Is that valid? And when you compare a 60% favorable rating with an 87% favorable rating - there is some kind of disconnect, which is my point.

People maintain that the PT was as good or better in many and/or all respects than LOTR. When asked why they believed this in the face of poor reviews for the PT and rave reviews for LOTR - they said a double standard existed. And now we're into the whole critic debate.

Of course members of this site are going to like the PT. But that doesn't answer the question. And since only 60% gave the PT a favorable rating, where do you think these people are coming from? Why the large disconnect. That's the answer I'm looking for. Not "a double standard exists" or "they don't like GL".

3. ElfStar

ElfStar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    Besides the actual concensus here, which is important really because its a Star Wars site, is that AOTC is a really good film, you only have to look at the poll to see this. I mean we have what 87% of the fans on this very site giving AOTC 3 or more stars out of 5. Which shows it has a very good popularity. And thats in the face of the critical reviews which are only 60% favourable.

All that shows is that the majority of posters on the Attack of the Clones message board like it. Not surprising, really.

If you were to do a poll on a different part of the site, I imagine the results would be different.

4. DarthTerrious

May 16, 2001
    Not surprising, really.

Exactly.

5. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    "Well I think you're not paying enough attention to the visuals in AOTC there. Look at Padme in the scenes with her and Anakin, a good example is the scene in her coruscant apartment."

Not paying attention??? She comes out and tells Anakin that she feels uncomfortable around him.

"When she first notices him, look at her face and more importantly her eyes, its clear (to me at least) that she finds him attractive and is quite taken aback by the young man before her."

All I see is Natalie Portman's infamous BLANK STARE.

"And thats really the thing with Padme, alot of her interest in Anakin lies in her facial expressions, the look in her eyes, and her own body language. Its a very subtle nuance and one I'm not surprised most guys dont recognise (to be frank we aren't the best at figuring out what women are actually feeling)."

Most guys don't notice it because it's not there. There are no facial expressions. She's as motionless as a 2X4.

"Plus she even gives away her feelings towards Anakin in the fireplace scene, despite her denial of any relationship they can have. And thats pretty early on, and its those feelings which help cement her revelation after the events of Tatooine and the situation on Geonosis."

She doesn't give away any feelings. She says that they can't be together because of their positions in society regardless of how they feel about each other. That doesn't say Padme actually has any interest in Anakin. Anakin just jumps to the conclusion that she is interested. Up until Geonsis, we are led to believe that this relationship would not work. It's all one-sided.

6. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    If half of us notice it, and half of us don't, what's more likely? That the people who saw it were hallucinating, or that the people who didn't see it missed it?

7. DarthMaul13

Nov 26, 1998
    "All that shows is that the majority of posters on the Attack of the Clones message board like it. Not surprising, really.

If you were to do a poll on a different part of the site, I imagine the results would be different."

Post this AOTC poll in the Classic Trilogy forum. Let's see how people vote.

8. DarthMaul13

Nov 26, 1998
    "If half of us notice it, and half of us don't, what's more likely? That the people who saw it were hallucinating, or that the people who didn't see it missed it?"

Or people want to see things that are not there to begin with.

9. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    In the fireplace scene, Padme explains that it would be impossible for them to fall in love regardless of the way she feels for him.

Even Anakin himself says: "So you do have feelings for me."

Where were you when this was going on? In the bathroom? Fast forwarding to the final conflict in the arena?

10. DarthMaul13

Nov 26, 1998
    "In the fireplace scene, Padme explains that it would be impossible for them to fall in love regardless of the way she feels for him.

Even Anakin himself says: "So you do have feelings for me."

Where were you?"

I was watching the movie. Anakin jumps to the conclusion that she has feelings for him, but she never said anything of the sort. She just told him that it wouldn't work even if there were feelings involved. Why didn't she just say "I like you, but it won't work". She doesn't which makes the audience believe that she has no interest in this guy.

11. DarthMaul13

Nov 26, 1998
    "Where were you when this was going on? In the bathroom? Fast forwarding to the final conflict in the arena?"

And what drugs were you on, watching this film?

12. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    SHE SAYS THEY CAN'T BE TOGETHER REGARDLESS OF THE WAY SHE FEELS ABOUT HIM.

Okay, let me calm down for a moment...

What about the part where they were laughing and rolling around in the grass? Was that pushing Anakin away as well?

What about when Padme and Anakin stare longingly into each other's eyes and then she lets him kiss her by the lake? She ends up pushing him away, but not before the kiss really gets going.

13. DarthTerrious

May 16, 2001
    Not paying attention??? She comes out and tells Anakin that she feels uncomfortable around him.

Sorry I meant the FIRST scene in her apartment when she meets Anakin & Obi-Wan again.

All I see is Natalie Portman's infamous BLANK STARE.

Not paying attention.

Most guys don't notice it because it's not there. There are no facial expressions. She's as motionless as a 2X4.

Maybe you should watch the movie and come back to me, its pretty obvious by the way she looks at Anakin, but her movements, that she fancies the hell out of him.

She doesn't give away any feelings. She says that they can't be together because of their positions in society regardless of how they feel about each other. That doesn't say Padme actually has any interest in Anakin. Anakin just jumps to the conclusion that she is interested.

"....regardless of the way we feel about each other."

She does feel something for Anakin by that point.
    Try and listen to the whole dialogue, even within her denial, she can't help revealing that she has some feeling for him but is scared of it because of what it would mean for the two of them.

Up until Geonsis, we are led to believe that this relationship would not work. It's all one-sided.

Its not all one sided, if you bothered to watch those scenes and look at the interaction between the characters, and how Padme's words are betrayed by the looks she gives Anakin and her body language, she wants him really but she is trying to convince herself more than Anakin that any relationship wouldnt work.

14. DarthMaul13

Nov 26, 1998
    "SHE SAYS THEY CAN'T BE TOGETHER REGARDLESS OF THE WAY SHE FEELS ABOUT HIM."

Read above ^^^^

"Okay, let me calm down for a moment..."

Yeah, you do that.

"What about the part where they were laughing and rolling around in the grass? Was that pushing Anakin away as well?"

They were just having fun. ;)

"What about when Padme and Anakin stare longingly into each other's eyes and then she lets him kiss her by the lake? She ends up pushing him away, but not before the kiss really gets going."

Padme is more weak-minded that Anakin thought. The power of the force can do wonders. ;)

I don't buy the romance, simple as that. She goes from possibly liking Anakin (according to you) to confessing her love?!? If those deleted scenes of her at her Parent's house, were put back in, I could believe it more. But they were cut out, and that leaves an uneven romance.

15. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    You see it as you choose to, not how it was portrayed.

16. DarthMaul13

Nov 26, 1998
    Wow, the only argument I get from you guys is watch the movie. It's there. [face_plain] Yeah, I've watched the movie a dozen times. The romance is not believable because it appears all one-sided. The only facial expressions on Natalie Portman are those saying she wants to fall asleep.

17. Philip023

Philip023 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2002
    Which shows it has a very good popularity. And thats in the face of the critical reviews which are only 60% favourable.

In this forum! And that's it.

But I am looking for objective viewpoints outside this forum. Just because 80% or higher liked the PT or AOTC in this forum doesn't mean the movie's good!

I think your random sample is a little skewed, don't you think. It would be more correct to conclude that your opinion means nothing because you're biased rather than the critic because he has no horse in this race. You do. You're a fan. You want SW to succeed.

I say again, provide me with evidence outside this forum that AOTC or the PT is better than LOTR without concluding a double standard exists.

I agree with Darthmaul13. There is no pretext for Ani and Padme to fall in love nor is there any reason for it. I blame that on George. it is assumed that they do and I think that alot of peoples view of the film is based on that assumption.

And as far as Natalie Portman's acting ability in the PT, at times it made me wish for Sophia Coppola.

18. DarthMaul13

Nov 26, 1998
    "You see it as you choose to, not how it was portrayed."

Or your seeing things that were not there. Obviously this discussion is not going to go anywhere. You guys like the romance, I don't. Leave it at that.

19. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    I have repeatedly shown you where Padme is engaing Anakin in romantic activites like rolling around in the grass in each other's arm, kissing by the lake, and Padme flat out admitting she has feelings for him.

If you can't see these things, then you are ignoring them. I am certainly not making it up.

You don't have to like the romance, just don't try and tell us that the first time Padme indicated she has feelings for Anakin is in the arena, because that is factually incorrect.

20. DarthMaul13

Nov 26, 1998
    "I have repeatedly shown you where Padme is engaing Anakin in romantic activites like rolling around in the grass in each other's arm, kissing by the lake, and Padme flat out admitting she has feelings for him.

If you can't see these things, then yes you are ignoring them. I am certainly not making it up."

Yes you are. She doesn't admit having feelings for him. She was being hypothetical. The rolling around in the grass was just childish fun. And the kiss was just being caught up in the moment.

21. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    You are choosing to see her words as hypothetical, her actions as plutonic, and her kiss as being absent minded.

22. DarthMaul13

Nov 26, 1998
  23. DarthMaul13

Nov 26, 1998
    So they decide to get married, because they rolled around in the grass once and kissed each for a brief moment?

Wow, true love.

24. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Let me put it this way, what makes more sense? That Padme did love Anakin but was repressing her emotions until the arena, or that she didn't like him at all and then suddenly decided to get with him because he was the only one in the chariot with her?

By your own admission, the latter makes no sense, so why would you assume that's the intention of the narrative?

25. DarthMaul13

Nov 26, 1998
    The latter didn't make sense, and that's how it was portrayed in the movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.