main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why the Double Standard?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by rpeugh, Dec 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhaegar

Rhaegar Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 29, 2001
    Star Wars has been unseated from its position at the top of "moviedom". I won't get into whether or not LOTR deserves all the accolades... but for all the die hard SW fans out there, you must face this fact. Denial is pointless. Like it or not, what LOTR has acheived is unprecedented. The whole LOTR phenomenon is awash in positive energy... I won't even get into the public perception of the new Star Wars films... that would be opening a whole new can of worms...

2. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    LOTR is great. It is the first example of a studio being able to trust a director with the freedom he needs to see his vision through.

Lucas and SW set the precedence outside of the studio system (well after ANH), and Peter Jackson has followed suit. It was the example set by the SW films that gave the stuffy suits the numbers they needed to think it could be done.

LOTR is just good enough for me to consider it an honerary Lucasfilm.

3. Rhaegar

Rhaegar Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 29, 2001
    Ah, my opinion of you has improved, Gomer. Your admission of LOTR's greatness almost makes up for your continued insistence that the prequels are good films.

4. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    ^Then you´re going to hate me ´cause I say
    LOTR is overrated and the Prequel parts are WAAAAAAAAAY underrated. One of the great things of the prequels is the sheer amount of different things you get to see, with Rings it´s just the same stuff with minor differences and that for friggin`nine hours.

Also, there are some really badly done CGI things in ROTK as well. I think the LOTR´s big secret is quite lousy. You have a battle with millions of soldiers. Battle´s over. Now a battle with two millions. Battle´s over.
    Now a ceremony with millions of soldiers.
    Now a million close-ups of a worried Frodo.
    :)

5. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Star Wars has been unseated from its position at the top of "moviedom". I won't get into whether or not LOTR deserves all the accolades... but for all the die hard SW fans out there, you must face this fact. Denial is pointless.

[face_laugh] I disagree. Jumping the gun. THE LORD OF THE RINGS movies are new. Popular, now. The in thing, now.

Let's see where THE LORD OF THE RINGS movies and their merchandising and popularity are almost 30 years from now.

Like it or not, what LOTR has acheived is unprecedented.

Unprecedented? Really?

6. SkottASkywalker

Jan 3, 2002
    when it becomes a distraction

The amount of CGI usage can be a distraction?

I can understand CGI poorly done being a distraction or CGI poorly done and nothing else about the movie helping to hold the viewer's attention and the result being the poorly done CGI being a distraction, although the viewer's wanning attention can also be the fault of the viewer, including entirely.

But the amount of CGI usage being a distraction?

Fault of the viewer, possibly?

[face_mischief]

7. Alomanuma_Topha

Alomanuma_Topha Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 2, 2004
    LOTR is incredible. Among other things, it was the first movie to make a very believable and important CG character. I wanted so badly for the PT to be this good, but quite honestly, LOTR makes the PT look like a pile of puke.

I haven't read the books and I don't even like fantasy very much, but the LOTR will without a doubt trump the PT. Even if ep3 is great, nothing can make up for the poorly paced, horribly acted, biggest disappointment movie, known as TPM... and dats no stink-a-whif!

8. SkottASkywalker

Jan 3, 2002
    LOTR is incredible.

Pretty amazing. Each of the THE LORD OF THE RINGS movies.

Among other things, it was the first movie to make a very believable and important CG character.

Not the first. [face_mischief]

Even if ep3 is great, nothing can make up for the poorly paced, horribly acted, biggest disappointment movie, known as TPM... and dats no stink-a-whif!

And yet, here you are in a Prequel forum, in a Prequel thread, quoting from a Prequel movie character from a Prequel movie. [face_mischief]

9. darthtj

darthtj Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 27, 2002
    Rotk was fantastic don't get me wrong , but there is no doubt in my mind episode 3 will be better imo. I'll tell you why , You people complain the pt hasn't been dark enough. Wait till u see the last film unlike rotk, important charcters will die good guys will die. It will be dark , it will be tragic, which you lotr fan boys were complaing about. In the end the pt is much more tragic and dark than lotr.

and for the record I do enjoy Aotc over any of the lotr films.(not that i hate them just prefer star wars to wizards)

10. Alomanuma_Topha

Jan 2, 2004
    "Not the first."

Care to elaborate?

"And yet, here you are in a Prequel forum, in a Prequel thread, quoting from a Prequel movie character from a Prequel movie."

Yes indeed. the movie is SO crappy that I waste my time talking on forums about it.

"You people complain the pt hasn't been dark enough. Wait till u see the last film"

So what... you're saying that bad acting is harder to notice in dark scenes??

11. SkottASkywalker

Jan 3, 2002
    Care to elaborate?

I'm sure I don't need to. And I'm sure you wouldn't agree.

Yes indeed. the movie is SO crappy that I waste my time talking on forums about it.

Yes, I can see that. In a Prequel forum, in a Prequel thread. [face_mischief]

12. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    There's no question that there is a massive double standard. The media and many internet fanboys absolutely worship LOTR. It's completely turned me off to the trilogy.

And talk about corny scenes with bad acting--the Arwen/Aragorn dream sequence thingy in TTT is worse than any scenes in any SW movie. It ranks down there with the Beastmaster or soome other such tripe that you see a million times on TBS. Yeech.

LOTR: Overrated.

13. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    I have criticized The Matrix, but not so much. What do you expect on a Star Wars board?

LOTR's sweeping cameras is not an effect - it's a directorial style, which I like very much; you may have noticed, the setting of Middle-earth is an important character on it's own within that trilogy. By using such shots, the viewer gets the feeling that he/she is in Middle-earth. I agree that there are too many slow-mo shots in the films, but some of them are really good (notice Frodo's cloak as he runs away from Aragorn at the very ending of the first one).

I have often said that the prequel CGI effects are better than the LOTR effects, but the big difference is that it used more wisely in LOTR than in the prequels.

And ANH:SE Jabba better than Gollum? I cannot possibly comment on that without getting banned.

14. oLiquidRusho

oLiquidRusho Jedi Master star 2

May 8, 2002
    Hey, I like ROTK a lot, but from what I understand you can find their own lil basher threads on Two Towers and ROTK for deviating from the book here and there. Its not as big as "basher" threads as here, but its there nonetheless. And yeah I'm not a real big fan of double standard either. I'll compare certain movies to make an case in point, but I wouldn't say THATS the way you have to do it to make me like a movie. Thats too closed minded.

15. Darth_Insidious

Darth_Insidious Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    There's no double standard, simply a few pissed off fans at a message board that can't stand their preference being in the vast minority.

16. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Vast minority? Yes, maybe here on these boards. But in the rest of the known universe...I don't think so.

17. ackbar1

ackbar1 Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2002
    look at Yodas scenes, the 'acting' is excellent throughout- he easily accomplishes what is required of him in each scene without any pointless mugging

Forget about these?

Around the survivors a perimeter create!

Seeing you alive, brings warm feelings to my heart.

Yoda in ESB only used the backwards sentence stuff every few lines. At first, the backwards sentences were cute. Now, he does it every line and it becomes agitating and corrosive. Its like going to the south, and hearing their dialect for the first time. It can be soothing. But if you run into some tractor-driving redneck saying "Ya'll come back now, ya' heer, yee haw!!!!!!!" every three seconds, it would be annoying. To me, Yoda is that tractor-driving redneck.

18. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    The backwards sentence thing is how every single line of dialogue Yoda has ever had has been delivered. It's nothing new.

I seriously doubt theres a vast minority of people who feel SW is inferior to LOTR. More than likely the vast majority of people don't care. The vast majority of people here should like SW better than LOTR since it IS a Star Wars fan site.

19. Alomanuma_Topha

Jan 2, 2004
    "The backwards sentence thing is how every single line of dialogue Yoda has ever had has been delivered. It's nothing new."

This is somewhat true, although ackbar1 makes a good point. I just feel they did a better job with yoda's dialog and role in TESB. Like most dialog in the PT, it's very clunky.

"I seriously doubt theres a vast minority of people who feel SW is inferior to LOTR."

The vast majority of people think LOTR is better than the PT. Sorry, but this is true and warranted.

"The vast majority of people here should like SW better than LOTR since it IS a Star Wars fan site."

Many people are only here because of the OT, and when you get fans of the OT who hate the PT, that's when you get very strong negative opinions. Then the people who liked the PT get all whiny when people bash the movies, probably cuz the know we're right. ;)

20. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    There's really no need to defend the prequel trilogy against LOTR.

That exercise in humorless, overbearing, inflated storytelling is no match for the prequels.

How can anyone take a movie about hobbits and elves and drawves that seriously???

The whole franchise implodes from the mass of it's own pompousity.

It's a spectacular effort, but that doesn't make it good filmmaking.

I'd rather watch a Discovery Channel epic on monkeys. At least they'd make me chuckle at some point.

21. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    The vast majority of people think LOTR is better than the PT. Sorry, but this is true and warranted.

Yeah this "vast majority" is only among the geek crowd. And thats a small percentage of the worlds population anyway.

Unlike the geekdom, the rest of the world likes whatever comes along, they just want entertainment and if they enjoy it then thats good.
    SW is enjoyable to them, as is LOTR right now.

Now I maybe a minority in the geek world, because I find the SW films more enjoyable than Jackson's version of LOTR.

22. Alomanuma_Topha

Jan 2, 2004
    Yeah this "vast majority" is only among the geek crowd. And thats a small percentage of the worlds population anyway.

FOTR

TTT

ROTK

TPM

AOTC

vast majority = vast majority. And if you disagree with the reviews, that's cool, but let's not fool ourselves into thinking only the geek crowd finds LOTR superior to the PT.

23. The_Nameless_One

The_Nameless_One Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    So far, your only posts at TFN seem to be made from a anti-Star Wars standpoint.
    What exactly are you doing here?

24. Darth_Insidious

Darth_Insidious Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    The vast majority of the public feels that LOTR is better. It's palpable. Show me a single poll on an objective site that puts the PT as better than LOTR.

25. The_Nameless_One

The_Nameless_One Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    if you have heard of the late English "author" Barbara Cartland, I suggest you attempt to read one of her "novels", then study her sales figures and popularity, and then decide if qulaity and sales-figures/polls have any relation to each other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.