main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SNG Why the English?

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by Shadow_of_Evil, Jan 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    Hey guys, just an Aussie here who happens to speak Indo/Malay.
    I found it curious that you guys are all posting in perfect English instead of your own language. Is that due to forum rules or do you guys/girls prefer to chat in English?
    Hoepfully I'm not offending anyone, I just found it very odd.

2. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Hiya there! :) Welcome to the group. ;)

Well, we are all from Singapore, a multi-racial country where the main races are Chinese (Majority), Malay ("original" residents of the region), Indian and other races. In school, we are taught in English for every subject except our mother tongue so we find it more convinence to speak and write in English, especially if we come from schools that emphasize the usage of English Language most of the time. Anyway, if we post in our own languages like Chinese or Malay, then others in the group won't be able to understand us which won't be fair. And posting in English will also allow others not from Singapore to understand us or even ask us any questions.

Ya, our Official National Language might be Malay and Native Languages depending on races may be Chinese, Malay, Tamil etc but our Trading and Main Language is English. ;)

3. Azmi-wan_Kenobi

Azmi-wan_Kenobi Jedi Master star 1

Sep 27, 2004
    What DE said.
    Welcome!

4. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    Well that answers that.
    Thanks mate ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.