main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why the lack of Qui-Gon items?

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Meriwyn, Aug 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    Has anyone noticed a serious lack of Qui-Gon merchandise out there? No Unleashed, no MR saber, no Koto (although these are still coming out), etc.? Does Lucas have some kind of moratorium on him the way he does with not letting authors write about Padme? Seems kinda weird that he was probably the main character of Episode 1 and there really isn't much out there in relation to him.

Just an observation.

2. robertyodarugenstein

robertyodarugenstein Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2002
    Why the lack of Qui-Gon? That would be because he is Episode I. Hasbro and just about every one else avoids putting out products from that movie because they don't sell. Think about it when was the last time Hasbro put out a 3.75 figure from that movie.

It was over kill for that line in the summer of '99. You could not walk into any store with out seeing that stuff. And that is why the Episode II line was scaled back for.

3. rebelwookiee

rebelwookiee Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    yeah, i think it's just due to the total overkill of TPM. there were plenty of Qui-Gon items back then...several action figures, t-shirts, coffee cups, lightsabers, paintable statues, pvc figures...are just a few that come to mind. and most of those items could be purchased at the "everything's a dollar" store shortly after TPM because there was so much and nobody wanted it. i think they REALLY overestimated how popular TPM would be, and they don't want to go there again.

4. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    Interesting theory. Wrong but interesting.

Check out the latest Jedi Council sets where you'll get not one, but six characters from the publicly hated Phantom Menace, including a Qui-gon re-pack. Last year they released a battling Eeth Koth, one of Amidala's costume changes, and a new Qui-gon sculpt. So they are out there.

The PT Bashing Empire hasn't driven them away fully.

5. PhantomMenace

PhantomMenace Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 20, 2001
    "Check out the latest Jedi Council sets where you'll get not one, but six characters from the publicly hated Phantom Menace, including a Qui-gon re-pack."

That's the exception. Hasbro knows that Jedi fans will purchase their Jedi Council scenes no matter which Jedi are in there. And since these scenes are supposedly strictly TPM (despite Shaak-Ti), they couldn't use Jedi from AOTC.

"Last year they released a battling Eeth Koth, one of Amidala's costume changes, and a new Qui-gon sculpt. So they are out there."

The Amidala figure you speak of came out in 2002, not 2003. The same goes for Eeth Koth, except that he was repacked for the Saga at the end of the 2002 collection. Qui-Gon also came out near the start of the Saga line in 2002. And as you can see by going to your nearest KB Toys store, he was not all that popular.

TPM figures do not sell well this far after that film was released. All of the Saga figures from TPM were pegwarmers... Qui-Gon, Teemto Pagalies, and Lott Dodd. Wow, all THREE of them! :p

The only way these figures will sell is if they are figures that the fans want which is why Rabe and Padme' in celebration outfit are on the way. Fans have been wanting these for years. During the Saga, I didn't hear fans complaining that Hasbro wasn't giving them another Qui-Gon or that ultra-cool, gotta-have-it Teemto Pagalies that was all the rage. If the fans want it, they'll buy it. If they don't, it is useless for Hasbro to make it.

So do we need another Qui-Gon Jinn? No, we've had our fair share for a really, really long time.

6. robertyodarugenstein

Mar 9, 2002

The only way these figures will sell is if they are figures that the fans want which is why Rabe and Padme' in celebration outfit are on the way.

PhantomMenace is right. People want Padme, Yoda, and Darth Maul. Right now Hasbro is only making what the fans want. As for the Jedi council if you look at the new sets the are all repacks.

7. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Remember also, he's in one movie sporting the
    same outfit throughout. There are only so
    many ways you can gussy him up.

I do have a good idea for anyone who wants
    to make their own Qui-Gon figure though.
    Glue a beard to a piece of wood and, TA DA!
    You have Qui-Gon! ;)

8. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Maybe cause,with TPM having its own line,people have lost interest

9. rebelwookiee

rebelwookiee Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    The PT Bashing Empire hasn't driven them away fully.

PT bashing? me? i actually liked TPM. i was just stating an observation about the general public. i honestly can't think of a single person who will admit to liking the prequels, and the merchandise is still piled up at bargain stores. i probably own more episode 1 merchandise than anything else...a testament to it's very widespread availability.

10. robertyodarugenstein

Mar 9, 2002
    Remember also, he's in one movie sporting the
    same outfit throughout. There are only so
    many ways you can gussy him up.

Darth Vader and Chewbacca are in all 3 OT movies but they to never change there outfit and people still buy them. There's a market for some figures. And also there's is no market for some. Qui-Gon happin's to be in the second.

11. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    I also think its because he just isn't a popular Star Wars character. When you think of 'Star Wars' is the first name to come to mind Qui-Gon? I think Hasbro is aware of that and producing figures with that in mind.

12. JediJunkie247

JediJunkie247 Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 24, 2002
    I personally liked Qui-Gon and was almost devastated when they slaughtered him.

I for one would love to see Master Replicas do a Qui-Gon saber. I think it was one cool hilt.

13. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    QGJ was the token good guy to get killed, just as DM was the token badguy with no lines who is evil because... Because he's evil.
    Of all the characters in TPM, QGJ was the only one with any real depth (hence why people liked him), and the only one with any dramatic changes.

That said, since not even his ghost has appeared in the later movies, there's not much hope of seeing any more of him except as some comic-book EU figure like the Training Armor fig.

But good luck.

14. bantha_poodoo

bantha_poodoo Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2002
    I'd buy a qui gon mini bust anyday. Liam Neeson is one of the greatest actors ever!!! (see michael collins)And the way Qui Gon hits mos espa like hes going to vegas??? Qui Gon has style.

15. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003
    Qui Gon has style.

Qui-Gon had a gamblig problem :p

like many have stated before me, he was just too mass-produced. the fans got sick of him. now, there's no qui-gon, and some fans wanna see him again, but not enough

16. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    We seriously need VOTC styled waves of the PT- only they are not "vintage". SA Qui-Gon Jinn with cloth tunika?
    That would be awesome and NEEDED!

17. young_zev

young_zev Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 1999
    Qui-Gon is one of my all-time favorite characters, but I do not own a single 3 3/4 figure of him.

Why? Because the sculpts were so godawful. In fact, I might have bought one if I *hated* him, because then I would've had a nice mockery of the guy. But no.

The 12" was passable, and that's what I own.

I'd definitely like a Master Replica hilt. Indeed his lightsaber was cool. Very streamlined and simple.

I don't think a Koto or Unleashed would be very appropriate cuz well... anyone who remembers the "Angry Qui-Gon" 12 Inch will understand. He just doesn't look good in dramatic poses.

"There's always a bigger RAAAAARR!!!!!"

18. Beautiful_Skywalker

Beautiful_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2004
    I think the problem is a series of poor Qui-Gon sculpts by Hasbro. Collectors won't buy them because they don't look like Qui-Gon. The best likness on Qui-Gon I've seen is the Defense of Naboo Portrait Edition that comes with Padme in her battle gown. I think as the MR and GG lines continue, we'll see Qui-Gon. They will run out of OT stuff, and then we'll see Qui-Gon high end stuff.

19. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Qui Gonn's voice on the video games is done by the lead soldier in Doctor Who: Earthshock.

20. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I would *Love* to see a QG Unleashed....

21. Mr_Self_Destrukt

Mr_Self_Destrukt Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 29, 2004
    I remember doing a search on E-Bay for a Qui-Gon Jinn lightsaber and I found a guy who manufactured one and in his speil about the replica he made mention that Master Replicas will never produce one.

It seemed like a bold statement but he seemed to know something that I did not.

22. Jedi_Princess_Padme

Jedi_Princess_Padme Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2005
    Either that or he's just trying to sell his lightsaber by telling people that MR will never make one.

23. Rebel_Spook

Rebel_Spook Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2002
    I think he was just saying that to make his saber more interesting. I highly doubt that MR has made any kind of blanket statement (internal or external) that they will never produce Qui-Gon Jinn's lightsaber. If they feel the interest is there, I would expect to see it produced, especially as they "run out" of other Jedi sabers.

24. VadersApprentice

VadersApprentice Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2004
    I love qui gon. and wish I could find more of his stuff too

25. DaDarth

DaDarth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    I would settle for a Qui-Gon unleashed...that would make a cool figure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.