main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why The Name Vader

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Favs_the_Jedi, Jan 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Favs_the_Jedi

Favs_the_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 11, 2005
    I cant find anywere that explains what vader means and why it is given or taken by anakin.

Any Ideas?

2. DarthBullGates

DarthBullGates Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Cause it rhymes with Tater I bet ;)

EDIT: Seriously though I would assume it's in-vader like in-sidious. Before someone says it, no, it's not the dutch word for father and Darth is a comination of DARklord of The sitH or at least that's what I always thought.

3. BigOlaf-aka-TheSarge

BigOlaf-aka-TheSarge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2004
    I am sure that there is some explanation other than just the sound or shock value of it. Maybe it is a derivitive of a latin name. I'll google it and check it out.

4. Anakin-Fan

Anakin-Fan Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 5, 2004
    It's because you came to the wrong section , but to tell you the truth around the name .

Vader looks like baby , you see he's padmes baby and vica versa ! , if vader did not kill Padme , he would killed palpysidious and dubbed Padme : Darth maider .

Also , next time go to the saga forum , and look for that tiny fellow in the right corner and/or hit perform search and enter your quiestion [ keyword ] it's really that easy ! :)

5. darth-revenge

darth-revenge Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 19, 2004
    VAin
    Dump
    Empty
    Retarded

6. Favs_the_Jedi

Jan 11, 2005
    thanks but i wanted to know like why he chose that name or if it was givin to him like tyrannus took dooku? right or was that when he was a jedi that he took that name.

7. darth-revenge

darth-revenge Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 19, 2004
    It's given to him...;)

I think...[face_thinking]

8. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    good grief gerdie -
    darth vader = dark father
    in dutch

hello?

9. Anakin-Fan

Oct 5, 2004
    yeah , he confronted the council and said , well my fellow Jedi brethren , i dub myself Lord Tyranus , BOW DOWN BEFORE ME !

Mace and co : Hell no !

Dooku [ now tyranus] : Yikes , well i'll be off then.....

10. Favs_the_Jedi

Jan 11, 2005
    did he change his name from tyrannus to dooku or dooku to tyrannus thats what im confused about

11. Anakin-Fan

Oct 5, 2004
    Dooku to tyranus ! , he began life as dooku ! , and when one becomes a Sith you get a new name , in other words and in his case : Darth Tyranus !

12. KyleKatarn96

KyleKatarn96 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 19, 2004
    favs the jedi i have your answer

i read it on a thread before...vader-invade..he invaded the jedi temple..i believe there was another word that involed "vade" that meant invader etc etc

13. schmoogana

schmoogana Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2004
    Per LoveLucas' post above -- One of many theories long discussed on these boards . . . .

VADER = FATHER in Dutch (see THIS SITE for Dutch/English translation)

Soooo, Darth (Dark) Vader (Father) is one of many possible options . . . . but only GL knows fer shur!!

14. Favs_the_Jedi

Jan 11, 2005
    ya but wouldnt that name be relevant to him being luke and leias dad but he doesnt really no he has them well both of them by the way wich one was the secret

15. DarthBullGates

Dec 2, 2002
    I'm not Dutch (well a little) but I still think Dutch for father is Vater. Any Dutch folks here?

16. schmoogana

schmoogana Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2004
    'VATER' is German . . . 'VADER' is Dutch!

See THIS SITE for the German-English translation (Dutch-English link is listed in my post above)

17. -AE-

-AE- Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 30, 2004
    Planning to have Sith name picked out for Annakin when he awakens, when thinking of a well built and imposing figure, Darth Sidious couldn't help but think back to his wrestling roots... "Lord, Vader?"

"Yes, Master...?"

18. DarthBullGates

Dec 2, 2002
    I checked several sites. You win.

19. femme01

femme01 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2004
    Does he get the name Darth Vader before or after his vision of having a daughter?

Because if he knows he's really going to be a father... ;)

20. LegatoBluesummers

LegatoBluesummers Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    I found this on a forum so Im posting it, all the sith's names come from some word that means it and this is like the perfect example:

About the names
    SIDIOUS: Insidious
    TYRANUS: Tyrant
    VADER: Invader or; some people think it is "Father" in some other language

21. Xyber_Hex

Xyber_Hex Jedi Master star 4

Jan 3, 2004
    Does it have to mean anything?
    Seriously, maybe in the language of that galaxy it means Bad a** m***** ****** or something.

Not everything has some deep hidden meaning and any meaning that George could come up with would come off as very cheesey.

22. dark_armored_one

dark_armored_one Jedi Youngling

Jan 15, 2005
    George Lucas created the mythology of the Star Wars Universe with a compilation of his own imagination mixed with events of our own history, society, and cultures. Look at the Imperial Uniforms compared to Nazi uniforms and Vaders helmet compared to Nazi battle helmets. These are just a few examples. With this in mine it is interesting to discover that the German word for FATHER = VATER. George probably altered it so it was not a direct translation. The term Darth is easily translated to Dark. Put them together and you have "Dark Father". This is my theory on it...take it for what it is.

23. GreekGodChaos1234

GreekGodChaos1234 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 12, 2004
    vader, cause it cool, thats why the name is.

24. Darth_Sideous

Darth_Sideous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    Lucas wanted something kind of evil sounding, something you would be afraid of.

Not much of a jump from Dark Invader to Darth Vader, is there?

Not EVERYTHING has to be difficult and convoluted.

Vader means father? Nothing but coincidence.

Like someone mentioned above:

Darth Vader: invader
    Darth Maul: maul
    Darth Tyrannus: tyranny
    Darth Sidious: insidious
    Darth Plageuis: plague

Invader, maul, tyranny, insidious, plague. All bad stuff. Scary stuff. Bad Sith...

This is George Lucas. He isn't reaching too far to get these Sith names. You can reach for whatever explanations you want to, and make things harder than they have to be, but sometimes things are so simple that you just don't want to believe it could be THAT easy. Sometimes it is just that easy, though...

25. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    When you become a Sith, you drop the "in", because you're not longer in with the hip crowd, you're an outsider.

Just ask Darth Cest and Darth Tercourse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.