main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why The Name Vader

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Favs_the_Jedi, Jan 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-ellen

darth-ellen Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2004
    Maybe instead of coming from "invade" it comes from "EVADE." The root of this word is "VADERE" which means "to walk away." Maybe he get this name because he walks away from the jedi order.

2. Count_Solidus

Count_Solidus Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 31, 2004
    Perhaps. Maybe it is in reference to his invasion of the Jedi Order. He wasn't supposed to be there, and, all though, he had no intention to destroy the Order when he was nine, maybe Palpatine saw the implications.

3. radgeeb

radgeeb Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2004
    From what I understand Lucas only got 'the idea' for the name Vader from the Dutch word for father. However, I understand that the name is to be a constant reminder of his dead children. How the name Vader will be linked to fatherhood and decided for him is yet to be seen. Either way it is an original, intimidating name.

4. Lukesdogwalker

Lukesdogwalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 25, 2004
    I think what people want to know is where the name comes from in a story sence. We all know the stories of Lucas' insparation be it Dutch or an old school friend.

The question is how did Anakin get the name not where did lucas get the name. And in reply I have no idea but I think it will become apparent in Ep3

5. IMTHEGENERAL

IMTHEGENERAL Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    This has probably been said before but just in case-

reading the George Lucas biography it staes that lucas says that name darth vader was made up by 'death water and dark father'. the dark father part is well known but death water???? didnt know that. Hmmmmmm

6. babymouseinzehaus

babymouseinzehaus Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2002
    My guess, is that Anakin is trying to say JarJar as in "JarJar PLEASE help me" (like Luke in ROTJ), but it ends up sounding like Vader.

Vay dar

Jar Jar

See it sorta rhymes.

7. jbird69

jbird69 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 11, 2000
    It's Myth related, and Darth Vader in German (I think that's the language) means "dark father", and that's what Vader is, the Dark Father of Luke and Leia.

8. Sith_revengist

Sith_revengist Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 28, 2003
    hmm... all very well saying it's German etc, but does the name Vader have a meaning in the context of the film?

Edit - Dark Father doesn't make sense when he doesn't know his kids are alive?

9. jvberggren

jvberggren Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    to jbird69:

father=vater in german, as someone has already pointed out. darth, as far as i know, means nothing.

10. UPwind-ooooh

UPwind-ooooh Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 17, 2003
    It turns out that once Anakin turned Sith, he never filed his galactic tax forms -- Yes, that's right! He's a tax e-Vader!

11. radgeeb

radgeeb Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2004
    Good one, Up wind. Beats the in-Vader theory. I've never bought that.

Perhaps 'Death Water' can be a clue to the lava that eats up Anakins arms and legs in EP3.

With all this talk about how Vader got his name, I bet Lucas completely fails to mention it in the movie. Now that would be a b!tc#. Has anyone even stated that we would find out or are we just hoping they will?

12. jvberggren

jvberggren Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    the death water thing made me think of something. perhaps vader originates from the name of the lava river/ocean or whatever? sort of like how native americans got their names from certain imortant incidents in their lives while growing up.

sidious: that river was the final resting place of anakin, and the birth of the sith in you. it shall be your new name -vader!

13. LordLogan

LordLogan Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2003
    I believe it will be based on E-vader. Think about it. It appeals to Anakin's need to hold onto things and people - an evader of death. Palpatine will use this to keep Anakin thinking that the Darkside is the only way to evade loss. Instead of just Palpatine implying "You will be an evil invader" and appealing to Anakin's destructive side - "evil for the sake of evil" (We already have that in the General - contrast, anyone?), he knows Anakin's weaknesses. Therefore he will use them by implying that Anakin won't have to deal with death or loss the way normal people do - "You're much too powerful for that". IN-Vader is just "a bad guy name", which Anakin does not see himself as. However, Anakin would gladly see himself as an all-powerful E-Vader. It speaks to what Anakin sees as his goal and purpose. It also describes his character. As do the names Sidious, Maul, and Tyranus.

evade

v 1: avoid or try to avoid fulfilling, answering, or performing (duties, questions, or issues); 2: escape, either physically or mentally; 3: practice evasion; 4: use cleverness or deceit to escape or avoid.

Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University

Once he dons the mantle of (E)Vader he is trapped, literally and figuratively, in his attempt to escape from the inevitable - loss. Only when he stops "evading", by sacrificing himself for Luke, does he cease to be an "evader", ie, he ceases to be "Vader". It works both in-story and allegorically.

That is something that would come from the mind of Lucas, IMO, applied to what we now know to be "Star Wars".

14. JediPrettyBoy

JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    Sidious probably convinces Anakin that he, as the Chosen One, will be the father of all that exists one day.

15. Crimson_Empire

Crimson_Empire Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2005
    Don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but
    ten bucks says Sidious's speech goes something like this:

SIDIOUS
    You will be the father of a new and terrible galaxy.
    I name thee Darth Vader. Father of the new order.

Or something evil like that.

16. Force-Keeper

Force-Keeper Jedi Master star 5

Jun 16, 2004
    Well, Anakin's first mission as Darth Vader is to invade the Jedi Temple. Corny, I know.

17. Revan_DeGarmo

Revan_DeGarmo Jedi Youngling

Mar 1, 2005
    I am not sure completely why the name is Vader. Throughout Star Wars Lore, there have always been Sith Lords with intimidating names, but the common link is that they all start with "Darth". It occurred to me that "Darth" is the Sith version of a knighted title, like Sir Alec Guiness, Sir Paul McCartney, or Sir Sean Connery. The other names, Darth Revan, Darth Malak, Darth Trayus, Darth Nihilus, Darth Sion, Darth Bane, Darth Sidious,Darth Plageus, Darth Maul, Darth Tyrannus, and Darth Vader were appointed by the Master to the apprentice, with the exception of Revan and Malak. So it seems to me that the Master comes up with the name for the apprentice, which is a title of honor bestowed upon them. Who knows, maybe Darth Maul's name was Bob before that.
    Revan

18. VonHelmet

VonHelmet Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2004
    "Sidious: Do not concern yourself with that issue now, my friend. You have more pressing matters at hand.
    Anakin: Yes, my Master. By the way, what language is Dutch?
    Sidious: It is a language spoken on the planet Earth, from where we humans originated 500000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 years ago. That planet has been long forgotten by everyone, but people in there still exist that are watching this as we speak. It is May 19, 2005 in their calculation of time and they are fans. Your new mission is to destroy them, LORD VADER.
    Anakin: Yes, my master."
    Uhhh, ever try reading the scroll at the beginging of the movies? A LONG TIME AGO, in a galaxy far, far away... Star Wars is in the past, not the future.

19. obi1andreasen79

obi1andreasen79 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2005
    EVADER? i dunno about that one man. all the other sith lords characters match their names dictionary definintions. i was trying to figure out the vader thing...thought of evade too....but it just don't feel right. I don't like it. just for the record though....it could apply to him.{so i kinda agree lordlogan}

20. Saddiq_Fett

Saddiq_Fett Jedi Youngling

Feb 5, 2005
    I agree with Darth_Sideous

21. RufusMogatto

RufusMogatto Jedi Youngling

Mar 4, 2005
    For what it's worth, "Dark Invader" was what the World War I-era German operative Franz von Rintelen called himself in the title of his memoirs.

http://www.cia.gov/csi/studies/vol46no1/article02.html

22. PrinceEspaaValorum

PrinceEspaaValorum Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    Two issues here. One external to the story, one internal.

I EXTERNAL ISSUE

A 'Darth Vader' means 'Dark Father' in German and/or Dutch. Odd, how some still argue this as it has been repeatedly shown that 'Darth' does not mean 'dark' in either German or Dutch, while 'Vader' does mean 'father' in Dutch. However, the first written account of GL's having come up with the name 'Darth Vader' is in 1974 in the first draft of what became ANH. There, even more than in ANH, Vader is not the father of the protagonist.

B 'Darth' means 'Dark Lord of the Sith'--just take the first 2 letters of 'dark' and the last 2 letters of 'sith' and presto!!! Sorry, but wrong again. Both the name 'Darth Vader' and the term 'Sith' appear in the 1974 1st draft. However, there were no 'Dark Lords of the Sith'--there were 'Knights of the Sith', who in the 2nd draft became 'Black Knights of the Sith', who in the 3rd draft became 'Dark Lords of the Sith', whom we never hear of in the OT films that began with filming of a revised 4th draft of ANH. Moreover, Darth Vader in the 1st draft is a general with no extraordinary powers--but then neither the Jedi Bendu nor the Knights of the Sith have extraordinary powers until the 2nd draft, where we get the Force of Others with its Ashla (light) and Bogan (dark) sides.

C The Darth Vader we all have come to know and love is an amalgamation of 5 characters from the 1st draft:

1 General Darth Vader, who serves Emperor Cos Da**** in the Imperial Space Force.
    2 Prince Valorum, leader of the Knights of the Sith, who has a change of heart of heart and helps the good guys at the end.
    3 Kane Starkiller, great Jedi warrior who is injured to the point of becoming a cyborg and father of protagonist Annikin Starkiller.
    4 General Luke Skywalker, Jedi and former 1st bodyguard to the Emperor.
    5 Annikin Starkiller, the hero who trains to become a Jedi and who saves the day.

II INTERNAL REASON

Maybe Sids will lest in on the secret when he knights Anakin Skywalker as Darth Vader.

23. darthmichael

darthmichael Jedi Youngling

Jul 23, 2001
    Y'all are overthinking it.

If you don't name him Vader, imagine the outcry from the Fanboys when they see Darth Widget in Episode III and Darth VADER in EP IV.

It's all about continuity, people...

24. Jade40291

Jade40291 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 4, 2005
    Hey everyone...I'm new to the boards, but I assure you I am not a troll. I have been watching the threads on the boards for quite some time, and I have to admit, on some of them I'm just left shaking my head.

Here's my take on the origin of the Vader name...many years ago George Lucas let it slip that he had designed an entire backstory for the OT in order to tell the story that he wanted to tell...many MANY fanboys have taken that knowledge to the extreme, assuming that Lucas had everything planned in advance, down to the last detail.

The truth is that the theory of Vader=Father in Dutch probably has SOME merit to it, as Lucas claims to have known that Vader was Luke's father since the first draft (referred to as the Starkiller draft). Being a writer myself I can appreciate the need to come up with a good name, as it is not only an easy thing to do, knowing as we do that Lucas paid homage to other cultures in the saga, the father translation theory is not too far off.

There that's it. It was a script WRITING idea...there is no grand theory about it in the film! The translation of Vader=Father will not be mentioned in the film! As far as the origin of the name being explained in the film, I suggest everyone just wait until May, but don't hold your breath that it will be explained.

Sorry for the long post, but I had to weigh in on this one...some of the fanboys out here are going into this with entirely too much expectation! You all need to calm down! Like it, love it or hate it...they really ARE just movies!

Hallelujah! Holy Sh**! Where's the Tylenol!?!?!?

P.S. before the flaming begins I'd like to remind everyone that the above is only my personal feeling...if it differs from yours, don't waste time flaming, just get over it and go on with your life.

25. obi1andreasen79

obi1andreasen79 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2005
    i just don't get why everyones a "fanboy" yeah,..I am a fan but I damn sure ain't a boy. all this noob-05er-fanboy crap is the equivalent of cyber racism friends! think about it. and oh yeah....were all fanboys....thats why were all on a starwars website right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.