main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why The Name Vader

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Favs_the_Jedi, Jan 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediPrettyBoy

JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    Why the name Vader?

Because Darth Tater just sucks.

2. obi1andreasen79

obi1andreasen79 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2005
    so does darth helmet.

3. Jade40291

Jade40291 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 4, 2005
    Alright, my apologies for the term fanboy...I always considered it an affectionate reference to those out there that spent all their time in High School/College Whatever, watching Star Wars instead of dating/going to sporting events being *intimate. Usually these people are called geeks or nerds by those who aren't fans as well, but it does refer to the fact that most of this demographic is male between the ages of 12-26.

No offense was intended by my use of the the word fanboy...nor will I change it to fanPERSON, I am not a politically correct person, so all of the fanboys out there can read the above to determine what my understanding of the term is...

Oh...and by the way...I was one of those geeks/nerds...so don't bother calling me a bully or whatever insult your heart desires. I'm just trying to explain myself here...again, no offense is intended.

4. obi1andreasen79

Feb 25, 2005
    none taken just wanted to hear your views on this before I judged you. you are officialy cool with me friend!

5. Darthette

Darthette Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 2003
    I also read that Vader was the name of someone Lucas went to school with, and I don't think he liked him very much.

6. obi1andreasen79

Feb 25, 2005
    i thought that the name fett came from lucas's schoolyard nemesis. not vader. could be wrong though.

7. Darthette

Jun 10, 2003
    Anyone have access to his high school annual? :)

8. obi1andreasen79

Feb 25, 2005
    lol. wouldn't surprise me.

9. Darthette

Jun 10, 2003
    How about Hayden's fax number? :)

10. Barth

Barth Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    The people that are bringing up the "Dark Father" reasoning from Dutch are missing the point of the thread. I think he means in the starwars universe. Dutch doesn't exist in a galaxy far far away. He wants to know why Vader is named Vader in the movie, not why George picked it.

11. Darthette

Jun 10, 2003
    I think he means in the starwars universe

Well, since you put it that way...that's a big place...it could mean anything.

12. lighteninggun

lighteninggun Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 17, 2003
    Vader from invader. He invades the Jedi Temple as a Sith. It seems that the Sith take their names in relation to how they deal with their Jedi enemy. Maul mauls. Vader invades. Sidious works behind the scenes insidiously. Tyrannus is a bit trickier, perhaps he applies tryanny to defeat the Jedi?? Anyway, the Dutch thing is close, but no banana.

13. Jade40291

Jade40291 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 4, 2005
    *shakes head* can't believe this thread is still receiving new posts....let it be people....let it be.

14. light_sabe_r

light_sabe_r Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    Vader.... Vader....

space inVADERs???

I'm pretty sure it'll be something like that...

inVADER
    eVADER

That sorta thing...

15. The Gimer Stick

The Gimer Stick Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 1999
    Prince Valorum said it all. Any other reply is pointless.

...except one tiny bit. GL did say that there was the POSSIBILITY of Vader being Luke's father by the time the final drafts of Star Wars were being written. But since any sequel at all was a long shot, there was no point in even worrying about it. As has been stated, I still doubt that that had anything to do with his choosing the name.

16. Joedi

Joedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 28, 2005
    I think people overread the name. It's probably just a name. Forget the Dutch thing. Forget any grandious interpretations. One could argue:

"the name 'Luke' means light in its origins oooh oooh Luke is of the light side, and 'Leia' means weary, well uh...she's like tired of being...uh...war n stuff, and 'Yoda' means uh...wait where was I going with this?"

Its just a name. Lucas probably thought it sounded like a nice bad guy name for a dude in another galaxy. The end.

Will it take on any meaning in the movie? If asked that 10 yrs ago I would be like, plllfff - no, why, its just a name? But now that we know all Sith are called Darth ____ I would expect some sort of Sith meaning. Probably not related to anything of normal language though, just Sith meaning, probably only covered in EU. Don't go expecting them to be all, "you're Darth VADER, because you're an inVADER, just like I'm Darth SIDIOUS, because my plot was inSIDIOUS" That would be dumb (much like this thread...I kid I kid, just too obvious a flame opening to pass up).

17. TheForgottenJedi

TheForgottenJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2004
    Darth Badass was taken.

18. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Speaking of bad words beginning with "In"

IN-Sidious
    IN-Vader

What are other cool-sounding words that start with "IN"?

19. PrinceEspaaValorum

PrinceEspaaValorum Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    The truth is that the theory of Vader=Father in Dutch probably has SOME merit to it, as Lucas claims to have known that Vader was Luke's father since the first draft (referred to as the Starkiller draft). Being a writer myself I can appreciate the need to come up with a good name, as it is not only an easy thing to do, knowing as we do that Lucas paid homage to other cultures in the saga, the father translation theory is not too far off.

Not possible. Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker were both generals serving the emperor in the first draft. Skywalker, a Jedi, left to fight the emperor, whom he originally served as bodyguard.

20. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    with george lucas it's never "just a name" - and that most especially applies to the character whose story this most definitely is. did you know that padme is sanskrit for lotus a symbol of death and rebirth? i don't know the answer to the question of why vader, but it's not just because george randomly selected it.....a reason, there is.

and prince v. - you are a star wars encyclopedia.

21. hk_spyke

hk_spyke Jedi Youngling

Jan 27, 2005
    I someone told me .............Darth Vader (meaning "The Dreaded Tormentor" in the ancient Sith language). but take it with a Grain of salt

22. sithforcemaster

sithforcemaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 20, 2004
    Vader = Father In Dutch you say?

Hmmmmmm. very interesting.

So does that mean that Sidious paid a visit to Earth at some point in the past?

Are the Dutch somehow distant relatives to Sidious?

How could a Dutch dialect from modern earth be linked to a dialect from a galaxy far far away a long time ago?

hmmmmmmmmm.

I must go now to ponder these questions.

23. Darth Kruel

Darth Kruel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    The name Vader would indicate Darth Vader likes to invade.

The name Maul means Darth Maul likes to beat up people.

The name Tyranus means Darth Tyranus caused great tyranny.

The name Sidious means Darth Sidious is insidious.

24. PrinceEspaaValorum

PrinceEspaaValorum Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    LoveLucas

Thanks. However, Darth Sinister is probably more qualified for being called a Star Wars Encyclopedia.

Amazing how in this thread there is the same ole rehashing.

25. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.