main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Why the NJO and Legacy Era are toast.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by stellarmagic01, Nov 5, 2012.

?

Do you think the NJO and Legacy are going to Survive Episode VII?

1. Yes

59 vote(s)
    27.6%
  2. No

154 vote(s)
    72.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    But Yoda and the Skywalkers SHOULDN'T win against everyone.

2. Golden Jedi Knight

Golden Jedi Knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    Well, of course the movies are the important thing. I get that. And I am looking at this from a "different point of view" . . . otherwise, you and I wouldn't be sitting here having a debate, would we? LOL :)

You can still have the new trilogy cater to the broader Star Wars audience without doing away with the most significant parts of the EU. So what if Han and his grand-daughter are flying around in the Falcon without Chewie around? The movie doesn't have to go into a lengthy explanation about how Chewbacca died. They didn't give any detail about how Marcus Brody and Henry Jones, Sr. died in the fourth Indy movie because it wasn't necessary to the main plot. Same deal with Chewie . . . they can say he died in battle and not necessarily go deep into the "how" and "why." The movies don't have to go back and explain every single major thing that happened between ROTJ and Episode VII; they only need to give details that will drive the plot of Episode VII and the ST in general.

I'm not saying that the makers of the ST will research all of the hundreds of books out there to avoid conflicts . . . that would be crazy to expect them to do that. But they can set the story far enough into the future to make it easier to resolve any perceived conflicts that fans of the EU might pick up on. And as I said earlier, they only need to give details about the past that help push the story forward; there is no need to explain every single event that happened over the last half of a century. That, too, minimizes conflict.

Regardless, I think we can all agree that we'll all enjoy these new movies. They are going to kick butt!

thesevegetables likes this.
  3. Golden Jedi Knight

Golden Jedi Knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    I don't think the Spaarti cloning cylinders are really much of a contradiction. For one thing, it was never said in the movies that the Kaminoans were the only ones with cloning technology. It's conceivable that the Empire could've acquired cloning technology from more than one civilization. See what I did there? It's not that hard to come up with reasonable explanations for most perceived conflicts.

4. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I think there was a novel where the Republic was switching to Spaarti technology since it wouldn't require training or the long growth time of their current clones.

5. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    1. True :)

2. But many movie goers will expect to see Chewbacca. He is a pretty iconic character. His off screen death will feel like a crock to many people. And bringing back Chewie is enough reason in itself to jettison the EU.

3. But it bluntly - the main source of revenue for the trilogy will come from people who don't give a flying fiddler's about a bunch of books that they are never going to read. And LFL and Disney are looking to recruit a whole new generation of fans who aren't going to be able to gather up 25 years of books and comics, but they will be able to collect them from now on.

3. You better believe it ;)

I enjoyed EU as much as the next guy, but out with it now and lets see the next generation that Lucas intended and Chewie back on the screen.

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  6. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    I don't see the midichlorians as a bad thing per se. To me, they are simply the biological component which acts as a force medium,revealing the will of the mystical force. There's no reason why science and religion shouldn't sit comfortably side by side, not that I'm interested in opening that particular can of worms, it's just my opinion of course.

7. thesevegetables

Nov 11, 2012
    It actually wouldn't be crazy to research hundreds of books. People do that for lower-profile movies all the time.
    But I agree with everything else.

8. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    "You can still have the new trilogy cater to the broader Star Wars audience without doing away with the most significant parts of the EU. So what if Han and his grand-daughter are flying around in the Falcon without Chewie around? The movie doesn't have to go into a lengthy explanation about how Chewbacca died. They didn't give any detail about how Marcus Brody and Henry Jones, Sr. died in the fourth Indy movie because it wasn't necessary to the main plot. Same deal with Chewie . . . they can say he died in battle and not necessarily go deep into the "how" and "why." The movies don't have to go back and explain every single major thing that happened between ROTJ and Episode VII; they only need to give details that will drive the plot of Episode VII and the ST in general. "

Marcus Brody died because actor Denholm Eliot died. Henry Jones Sr. died because Sean Connery retired.

This is different, there is No Reason Whatsoever to not include this beloved character whom everyone wants to see in this movie. Every normal moviegoer who will pay to see this will want Chewie in there.

Just kiss it goodbye, folks!! Elvis is about to totally leave this building. He started as a svelte figure ready to rock the masses (Thrawn Trilogy) and ended as a pale, bloated parody of himself (LotF), stumbling off the stage of some Las Vegas dive. His time is past.

There's some pretty good stuff in the post RotJ EU; but it is about to get overwritten by the real author of SW, Mr. George Walton Lucas. And I for one can't wait to see what he comes up with. It will doubtlessly be better than the sub-Star Trek plotlines that Del Rey concocted.

9. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Star Wars is THE only existing franchise that has included the content of its tie-in fiction as part of its official canon; however, because of the way the various levels of canon work, the content of said tie-in media is subsidiary and subservient to filmic and TCW canon, effectively making things operate exactly like other franchises. Anyone who genuinely believes or expects the EU's canonical status to prevent the filmmakers from telling the story they want using the characters they want in the manner they want is deluding themselves in terms of the actual canonical importance of the EU. The filmmakers are not going to write around any of the events of the EU... End of story.

ThatWanFromStewjon and Krueger like this.
  10. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Yeah but Lucas didn't cut in a scene with him or Xixor. That's about the level of EU reference you can expect from Episode VII: hey, look, there goes the Lady Luck!

Unless they choose to please me personally by having the Force Ghost of Master Arca...we all know how much general audience members want that ;) And the Eu is so very important, all those bestsellers, they'd be crazy not to tap into that!! Disney really needs the pocket change :p

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'd be fine with scenes featuring Prince Xizor checking out chicks as they walked away. He does that a lot in the novel.

12. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Well since he died in Shadows of the Empire, a book that takes place before ROTJ, then he can't really do that in Episode 7.

13. thesevegetables

Nov 11, 2012
    But if the NJO is toast, all post-RotJ EU may be toast, so Xizor could come back...

14. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    Shadows isn't post-RotJ... it's between ESB and ROTJ so yeah... he's dead.

15. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    Um....did you read what i said? Shadows of the Empire takes place BEFORE ROTJ, not AFTER. Even if you wiped out all the EU after ROTJ, Xizor would still be DEAD, since he died after ESB, but before ROTJ.

EDIT: Looks like stellarmagic01 beat me to it.

16. thesevegetables

Nov 11, 2012
    Oh all right. The movies could also potentially kill ALL EU AS WE KNOW IT.

17. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    Mickey Mouse: Now I have become DEATH destroyer of worlds.

thesevegetables likes this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Alrighty then. I'd be fine with scenes featuring a Prince Xizor clone checking out chicks as they walked away. He does that a lot in the novel.

19. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I'd be ok if they said, hey lets pick up right around the time at the start of NJO, Anakin Solo still alive, Mara still alive, Jacen still light and still alive, no bastard children. New Sith. Solo kids join together with unky luke... we get to keep Corran and Kyle. And someday Luke's son will be named Ben... Because it fits

20. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    Hell, you could do that and have Ben since without Nom Anor's Coomb Spores, there's no reason Mara hasn't had a kid yet.

21. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Ben and Anakin the same age? Have NJO on be an alternate universe? Ganner Krieg lives?

22. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    This is precisely why none of this stuff will be used in VII.

Can you imagine the press release?

"Star Wars fans rejoice! The series has finally returned to the clear storytelling, exciting stories, and emotionally charged adventures of its roots: it's all about the implications of Nom Anor's Coomb Spores!"

23. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    I wouldn't say that close together in age... My proposal would be to go to 30 after Endor (34 ABY) call the NJO alternate universe and do this...

Our new Master Apprentice team and focus characters:
    -Jaina Solo, 25 - Knight (About Obi-Wan's age for Episode I)
    -Ben Skywalker, 13 - Apprentice (What Anakin's age should have been... 9-10 is just too young.)

Then you have Luke taking the grand old wise dude position (Yoda's) and Mara taking the maverick jedi position (Qui-Gon's). Han and Leia provide more background support and so forth. I think that'd work really well as you have a complex set of relationships in play both in terms of instruction and influence and familial ones. Family is the one part of this trilogy I think people are underestimating the importance of.

You could then do a Jacen's fall story if you really wanted to as well as Ben's coming of age... I mean there are so many ways you could go if you just dropped the NJO and it's follow ups or used them for little more than a bit of inspiration.

24. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    EU as Inspriation not as doctrine

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  25. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    Exactly... people are expecting it all to go down the tubes, and the only way I could see all of it get tossed is if Lucas forces them by doing something stupid like: "No that's not their kid's names." or "Luke should be celibate." and so on...

What will happen is what happens when say Christopher Nolan gets permission to do a Batman movie... the adaption of elements, inspiration, and so forth. So they start off trying to figure out what they wanted to do for enemies: Vong? No they're too niche. Aboleth? Please we're not playing DnD. The Sith? Okay, maybe but how? The Mandalorians? Well... it would be more acceptable, maybe in tandem with a sith again?

Then when they go to characters it'll be: Who would work in role X? Who is well liked by the fandom? Does using this person inhibit the direction I want to go... and all that. That's what they're going to do.

Do I know with absolute certainty exactly what they'll do? No. Do I have very clear suspicions on what they would choose amongst the vast landscape of EU material to incorporate? Yes.

1. Luke will be present as a Master, but he will not be Obi-wan, he's more in line with Yoda in the PT... the master of masters, teacher of teachers position.

2. The preexisting children of Leia and Han will be utilized, though Anakin may be pushed to the background simply because of the name issue being Anakin.

3. The new government will be a Galactic Republic, it may be the New Galactic Republic but it probably won't be the GFFA unless that becomes an umbrella organization of which the New Republic is a member.

4. Luke and his New Order will not have a vow of celibacy if only due to the pragmatic reason that there aren't enough force sensitives around for it to really be any other way. Plus Luke had a squicky love triangle in the OT... attachments will exist and may be big issues.

5. Mara Jade and the Thrawn trilogy will be largely undisturbed in their place in the Canon due to their immense popularity. As such expect a Mara Jade Skywalker as a figure since it isn't worth explaining the whole Jacen turned evil thing. The best way to put this is to think of the Thrawn Trilogy as Star War's version of the 'Killing Joke' in the Batman universe. It's big, critically acclaimed and loved... go against it and die.

6. The character age for Ben Skywalker will likely be adjusted... having him being so much younger then the Solos would throw people (though him being the youngest makes sense as the general audience wouldn't know his mother).

7. The New Jedi we see will be largely populated by EU figures with a scattered addition of new names, as it's so much easier to just adapt that material then start from scratch. It will be small, more familial in nature and much less orthodox.

Beyond that I can't wait for where they go.

adraco4 and Kyris Cavisek like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.