Speculation Why the NJO and Legacy Era are toast.

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episode VII and Beyond (Archive)' started by stellarmagic01, Nov 5, 2012.

?

Do you think the NJO and Legacy are going to Survive Episode VII?

Yes 59 vote(s) 27.6%
No 154 vote(s) 72.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mavjade It's so Fluffy Fanfic & New Movies Manager

Manager
    star 5
    To answer the original question, I don't think it's as simple as 'yes' or 'no'. Do I think some parts of it will be changed, oh yeah! But I think they can also use some of it and it will work. It really just depends on when E7 is set.

These are things that could be easily explained, and very quickly, it's character development and it happens in movies all the time.

If they didn't go though introducing Mara and having her as a character (I'm not saying they will or won't, just giving an example) they could do a flash back, they could have any character talking about her, telling a story/memory, the opening crawl as someone else already said. There are any number of ways to introduce characters that aren't even seen and it's very easy and quick in movie time to do. If those characters are ones hardcore fans are familiar with, that's great and we know a little bit more about them, but that doesn't mean they can't easily introduce them as new characters (Or change aspects of characters we already know, for that matter.) to people who haven't read the books.
  2. Lord Nikon Jedi Master

star 1
    Agree. I think a lot of people are of the mind that everything has to be revealed about everyone before the credits roll for the average movie goer to pick up on it. When such a thing is patently ridiculous. No movie with characters older than 15 would ever get made if a general audience couldn't br brought up to speed through expositionary conversations between characters.
    Apophis_ likes this.
  3. Bashar Jedi Knight

You should have included a "I sure hope so!" option.

I really didn't like what Del Rey did with NJO and beyond. That's not to say I hate it all. There are several books and stories that have merit, but for the most part, Del Rey hasn't met my standards. Bantam may have been considered bland or boring, but the stories themselves were higher quality.

I wouldn't be mad at all if everything from Vector Prime on was just completely wiped out.
    JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  4. Jobertus Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I give audiences more credit than that as well, Lord Nikon.
    Lord Nikon likes this.
  5. stellarmagic01 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I'm not saying they couldn't do it... that way, because yeah they could... but honestly people would be disappointed if they do it that way. No the better way is to simply reduce the amount of baggage to a level that can be used in character development in the movie. Plus if you hint at big things for the character (Jaina killing her twin for example) the moviegoers will want to see that at some point.

Could they do it that way and make it work? Yes. Would I want them to do it that way? Heck no.

Better to get rid of bad works then try and incorporate them for EU fanatic's sake.
  6. syferdiasisalie Force Ghost

star 2
    I voted no but I think most chronologically earlier EU will survive.
  7. C Creepio Force Ghost

star 3
    As Doc Brown says in Back to the Future, the EU is about to be "erased from existance...."
  8. Chewbacca89 Force Ghost

star 5
    I, respectfully, disagree. I think if Anakin's relationship was permitted he would have been able to openly talk about it and ask for help from the Jedi. I think the stress from keeping it secret, in addition to his visions, play a role in his downfall. Just my opinion...
    Apophis_ likes this.
  9. The-Eternal-Hero Force Ghost

star 4
    I think the best bet is to detach the separate chronologies (books, movies, tv), gently let the original EU come to a solid close by 2015, and classify it as "semi-canon" or something. Try to make everyone happy but allow it to be part of the "tapestry" for further use.
  10. stellarmagic01 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    They do have the Infinities title for AU stuff still, don't they? Tagg and Bink is also that for example.
  11. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    To be honest, I don't think any of the EU is safe, not just the NJO onward. Sure, there will be things they will probably include as a nod to the fans, but I doubt they will follow it word for word, making sure they dotted every 'I' and crossed every 'T'.

Maybe I'm alone in this, but if the creative team went ahead and stuck Jaina, Ben, Jacen, Anakin, etc into the story, it would feel like a cop-out. I'm looking for something fresh and new to come of Star Wars, including new characters to explore. Give Disney and Lucas the creative freedom they need to tell the story they want to tell.
    Blazer-Smith and TaradosGon like this.
  12. Ringo_DeathStarr Jedi Master

for all we know "new original story" just means "not a reboot"
  13. Sith_Knight087 Jedi Master

star 1
    I don't think they'll relegate the EU into being nothing more than non cannon/infinities stories... For all we know the sequel trilogy could take place anywhere between 50, 60 or 70 years past ROTJ. That way it can be an original story without it ever effecting any of the existing continuity.
    LawgSkrak likes this.
  14. jedimikey Jedi Master

star 2
    I agree, and that's what I'm hoping for. Ben and/or Jaina, post-FotJ, or perhaps a teenaged offspring of one or the other. What's important is that the story is NEW, and has nothing to do with the story/plot of the OT and PT.

What would be cool? New heroes and new villians, with a couple of cameos and special appearances from the original characters (the ones who AREN'T dead). Return of the Mandalorians? Quest for the Special Ultimate Holocron? Revolt of the Bothans?
  15. Chancellor_Ewok Force Ghost

star 6

Sorry. The Expanded Universe isn't going anywhere.
    Apophis_, Amphimachus and Jobertus like this.
  16. The-Eternal-Hero Force Ghost

star 4
    Until the writer and director start getting creative...

There's no reason why the original eu can't exist in its own print continuity while the movie spin-offs have their own continuity.

But face it: Chewbacca didn't die. They'll want him back. The audience wants it, Mayhew will want to do it, the writer and director will want it. There's no retconning something that big. This movie will definitely erase some of the EU.
  17. Jedi Merkurian Episode VII Thread-Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    I'm sorry, but outside of the nifty poll, how is this thread not redundant?
  18. stellarmagic01 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Yeah, they'll want Chewie, and if the writer has even a fleeting understanding of the EU and character popularity, they'll probably want Mara Jade. So yet another reason that NJO will get torpedoed or extensively retconned.

EDIT: I started this thread because I felt the EU general thread was well... General. I thought that since this would likely be the most contentious part of the EU debating that it deserved a thread of it's own.
    Last edited by stellarmagic01, Nov 5, 2012
  19. melkor834 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    How is using it as a "treasure trove" of ideas mean it is safe? It doesn't mean it is toast either, but the Clone Wars show has been using the same methodology and much of the Clone Wars EU has been overwritten.

Anyway, I don't see anyway that post-RotJ EU is going to survive these films. Lucas supposedly will have a large role on the creation of these films and he has made it clear that in his universe Luke does not marry.
    Last edited by melkor834, Nov 5, 2012
  20. Luke_Sparkewalker Force Ghost

star 4
    He also said there will never be episode 7.

A writer/Director that KK picks wont stay very long if he/she can't do their own thing.
    Last edited by Luke_Sparkewalker, Nov 5, 2012
  21. WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I don't like a lot of the NJO stuff, but then again, I don't like a lot of the Bible, but EU is so integral.
  22. Ghost Chosen One

star 6
    No, the EU is NOT toast.

Were you asking about "who's Luke's mom" in Episode IV and Episode V and felt that ruined those movies?

All Luke needs to say is "you have a fiery heart, just like your mother, I wish she could see you now."

As for the Solo kid, Jacen and Anakin are both dead now.
    Last edited by Summer Dreamer, Nov 5, 2012
    Apophis_ and LawgSkrak like this.
  23. Krueger Force Ghost

star 4
    Put it this way, if Solo is going to be in the film, then chances are Chewie will follow suit. Maybe the entire EU isn't toast, but I think nearly all post-ROTJ stuff is going to go the way of the dodo. Especially the NJO series.
    LawJedi likes this.
  24. WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    @Krueger unless this is set after Chewie dies.
  25. The-Eternal-Hero Force Ghost

star 4
    It would be suicide to make arcane references to the EU. This is a fresh start. They will probably mine the EU for planets, technology, weapons, aliens, vehicles, and snippets of pre PT history, but no director or writer they hire is going to curtail their creativity to fit the Byzantine narrative of the post-RotJ EU. The EU was created to fill the gap left by the absence of VII-IX. That gap is about to be filled by the real thing. Lots of post-RotJ EU will be displaced. It's Leland Chee's headache how to sort that out, not the screenwriters or director of Ep. VII.

I don't know what will happen to that whole enterprise, I'm not wishing it any ill-luck, I absolutely love the DH comics (I'd hate to lose "Legacy") and a lot of the novels. But it would be complete insanity to not have Chewie, or to reference a dead EU character. This is George's vision of VII-IX, as interpreted through Kennedy & Co., not the EU.
    Last edited by The-Eternal-Hero, Nov 5, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.