main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Why the NJO and Legacy Era are toast.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by stellarmagic01, Nov 5, 2012.

?

Do you think the NJO and Legacy are going to Survive Episode VII?

1. Yes

59 vote(s)
    27.6%
  2. No

154 vote(s)
    72.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    He could be overruled, but I doubt Kennedy is going to start ignoring what Lucas suggests wants (she has said he wants him advising her).

Even the authors who write the EU novels want to rbing their own ideas and characters. Thats why Mara Jade disapeared for so long, why E-Wings never replaced X-wings, why K-wings never caught on, why that female lead in Vector Prime disapeared etc.... We have only ever been told that the filmmakers won't be bound by the EU, its likely that Arndt will have his own ideas he'll want to write about (same with Lucas), ad its just bad story telling to drop a character with as much baggage as Jaina or Ben into the movie, or not show someone as important as Mara Jade etc...

2. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I will still love star wars but if they scrap EU, I will stop reading, I only read post EP 6 novels anymore.

3. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Speak for yourself, chum - if I'm told that I've wasted twenty years of time, money and interest following characters that I'm not going to be able to follow any more (because of what would then appear to be a major misrepresentation - of no more movies); then I'm not going to waste any more (of any).

4. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Until/unless you hear the next book in the new continuity is great. Comic book fans say this all the time and it never sticks.

5. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    so fenton do you like the Eu or no?

6. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    How is it a waist? You still read and enjoyed those stories. That doesn't change. The only thing that happens is you get hte oppertunity to read and enjoy more and different stories (which might be better....) .

And as I pointed out, this happens in comics all the time. Fans say they waisted their time, its not their character anymore, they aren't reading etc... And they all keep on reading (apparently tell their friends because sales always go up).

7. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Yes but Comic book reboots, refreshes, and the like tend to utilize the same cast of characters... so why shouldn't we anticipate the inclusion of EU characters and figures? It's one thing to reboot refresh, it's quite another to take a set of characters and say they never existed.

8. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    I like some of the EU, but I see that its there to support the movies, not the other way around. And getting new characters and new situations and a new universe to get stories in excites me.

So what if the Thrawn Trilogy "never happened", none of it ever happened anyway. I still read it, I still enjoy it. But now I will most likely get new and different stories told in that time period, and hopefully better ones.

9. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    All other franchises have reboots or alternative universes or what not. Fans are used to that, so it's time for the SW geeks to join the club :)

Personally, I have a sentimental attachment to Mara and Kyle because of the Jedi Knight games, I won't bitch if they're gone.

10. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    As long as Corran Horn is there, I will read.

11. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    SOmetimes, but they also often change the characters so much they aren't that much like the original ones (ie - Peter Parker not being moarried or a teacher).

The main characters will obviously still exist. But as Is aid, who is to say that the new child/children they make up for the characters won't be better? Or that the stories won't be better or more intresting?

12. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Personally, if that's the attitude you have, then I think you got into the SW novels for the wrong reasons and have the wrong idea of what tie-in media is meant to do.

13. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    If thereĀ“s one thing that's consistent about EU, it's that it gets trampled. EU fans really should know this by now.
    That doesn't actually affect the quality of the works themselves, though, but the EU fans in this thread don't seem at all concerned about the quality aspect.

14. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    He is a perfect example. His history is completely contridicted by the films. His grandfather wasn't a Jedi, they didn't have children as its explained in the books. His grandfather didn't sqaure off against a group Sith as it described in one book (I forget the details) during the clone wars because Palpatine and Dooku (and now I guess Maul and Savage) were the only Sith out there. The G-Level canon completel contridicts the Corran Horn story, but it doesn't change YOUR enjoyment of it one bit.

15. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    If I wanted to read comics, I would read comics - I don't (I last read a comic some forty-five years ago).

I'm quite happy with the stories that I'm getting now, and the characters that I enjoy reading about and want to keep following.

(And please try to spell correctly - particularly when my quoted text contains the exact same word in the exact same context; it's annoying.)

16. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    I'm sorry that, in all likelyhood (its not 100% at this point) the stories that mean so much to you are being "wiped out". Maybe you just have to have it happen to you before you realize that removing them continuity doesn't removed them from the world. But in all likelyhood, its happening. I guess its up to you, if/when it happen, if you want to be bitter about it or accept it and reep the benefits.

17. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Fenton what do you love in star wars? What brings you to these boards? You have been here forever and you are well versed in the EU. Corran Horn exists until he doesnt.

18. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Where, and in which film, does it say that there is, was and never had been a Corellian Jedi named Nejaa Halcyon?

Anakin Skywalker? Ki-Adi-Mundi (with the Council's permission)? Others we don't know about?

They were Jedi (Dark Jedi by that stage), playing about with copies of Sith inscriptions.

It doesn't contradict anything.

19. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    I've been into it since I was a kid, always have been. I read all the EU pretty loyally until NJO, I got to the one were Anakin died and lost interest. I've watched/kept up since then but thats it. I'm a little more picky now. When Lucas put the G-Canon stamp on Force Unleashed I played it. I loved the Plaguis book and liked the Midnar (that right?) book. I want to check out the new X-wing book as well as the New Republic stuff (even though tere were no Sith 4000 years before the movies).

And you're proving my point. Corrans history/backstory as it was written doesn't fit anymore. Its not in the canon of hte movies. BUT YOU DON'T CARE. He is your favorite character, you like the books and stories he is in. The same will be true with the ST. If you love the Zahn books and they whipe them out, who cares? You still love them? Thts all that matters.

Just for the record, I'm not that big of a Corran Horn fan. I was until 2-3 X-wing books in. Then Anderson just turned him into a Mary-Sue and I lost interest.

20. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Its says in the PT that Jedi are not allowed to be married and Padme is clearly worried about having a child with Anakin so thats probably suspect. Nejaa was married and had a child. Maybe you need to read alittle more EU.

Ki-Adi Mundi didn't have children, just like he didn't multi. wives and he wasn't a knight who was on the Jedi council.

Its contradicts all of it my friend. Again, you be bitter about it or just accept it and enjoy it anyway. Try just enjoying it anyway, its more fun then being bitter.

21. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Kyris Cavisek
    His last post before the news about Lucasfilm was way back in December 2001 - his posting history betrays him.

22. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    anyone who doesn't post on here isn't a fan?

You didn't join until Sept of this year. I guess you weren't a fan of Star Wars before that?

23. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I used to be a part of the Star Wars boards, since they shut those down, im here

24. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Nothing will ever be whipped out only retconned. Some stuff might have to be erased but most of it will be events where han luke or leia cant be at two places at once, or changing the date of a birth. Even if Kyp or Kyle were to be booted from the council for the movies, they would be retconned onto a really long mission who returns after the ST

25. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    You clearly posted that Corran Horn's grandfather wasn't a Jedi -- he was! There's nothing in the PT or anywhere else to directly override M. A. Stackpole's book' claim that Nejaa was a Jedi.

Like Nejaa, Anakin Skywalker married and had children - so what could the Council do about it, post facto? One doesn't need to be subordinate to the Council to be a Jedi, or to use the Force, or to carry a Lightsaber!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.