main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Why the NJO and Legacy Era are toast.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by stellarmagic01, Nov 5, 2012.

?

Do you think the NJO and Legacy are going to Survive Episode VII?

1. Yes

59 vote(s)
    27.6%
  2. No

154 vote(s)
    72.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    It wasn't Chewie there to begin with. It was a clone designed by _______ to kill________, who overrode it's programming. Chewie was held by the people who cloned him since NJO. He only reciently escapes. The Big 3 will come to his rescue in Crucible, you will see.

2. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I'd like that. I'd guess...

3. BoomBach

BoomBach Jedi Youngling

Nov 17, 2012
    In my opinion the problem in the EU after the Empire falls is they just try to top the death star. They repeatedly try to do bigger and more dangerous and after awhile it just feels silly more than epic...

4. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Anakin does mention 'the air lighting up with fire', to which Jaina replies 'from the compression' and Anakin then responds ' We didn't even know where the wind had taken Chewie, or if he was even still alive'; but that's all -- and it's a teenager in profound shock and wracked with survivor's guilt speaking (not the best of witnesses, IMHO, however much he would want to be one).

IMHO, it's at least arguable that the wind-blast pushed Chewie clear of the immediate impact area - and as I keep saying, no one saw the body.

SW may be science fantasy, but it does contain the word 'science' (which means that it has to respect some actual science - Anakin himself states that a land strike is better than a water strike -- and that's actual science; while imaginitively building in advance of current technology) and the 'fantasy' element makes it possible for the very unlikely to occur; provided that a plausible explanation can be found.

5. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    They do that in Big 3 novels. Novels like Scourge, Rogue Squadron series, Crosscurrent, and Riptide. Not to mention the countless sub series of NJO.
    Sun crusher, constant galactic wars=unnecessary. I would love to see Jedi/Apprentice mission books. ie. Horn and Rhysode.

I feel like entire missions glossed over in LotF and FotJ could be plots to entire books. Jacen and Ben infiltrate a ship factory? That could be an entire book.

Valin, Kolir, Thann, and Seha, accomany Kyle to fight a dark Jedi? Entire book.

Myri, Jaina, Jag, Corran, and Antilles clan spring a trap for a fallen Jedi? Entire book

Small scale, small cast, not Big 3= Character development, Connection to other characters strengthened.

I always imagined that the Antilles kids and Horn kids were really close because of all that time on the Errant Venture in the Maw during the Vong War. Not to mention their parents being really close. Plus the whole Wedge best friends with Mirax before she marries Corran... I feel like Valin and Syal would end up together. Then there is Doran, another Jedi and Wraith squadron, who I feel like would be a perfect foil to Valin. Valin is reserved and much like his father. Doran is more like Kyp, impulsive and brash. They would be best friends and rivals. Those ties could drive a book plot, just add an apprentice or two, Wedge and Corran cameos, maybe Myri and Jysella can appear in the sequel once the main three, Valin Syal and Doran are established.

6. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Ah retcons... Tim, that's almost as big a pill to swallow as Boba Fett's regurgitation from the Sarlac. In scenarios like this, maybe allowing a bit of Lucas overwrite is a better idea then having Chewie thought dead for... twenty years? *head desk*

As I said, I have no qualms with keeping the new characters that have arisen in the post-25 ABY EU, it's just that the events, deaths, and plots are a major inhibitor to fans getting what they desire most. People have been begging for Timothy Zahn to quote: "Fix this mess" when it comes to the NJO period and beyond, and he hasn't. A sizable number of fans left the readership after Mara Jade's death. Others left at earlier points where other deaths occurred and so forth. If I'm honest, I think that in order for Episode VII to really succeed, there can't be any deaths in the Skywalker and Solo families until the start of the film, and we can't retcon all of those things.

A 'soft reboot' aiming at making the transition from the post-RoTJ EU to the pre-VII EU would alleviate so many problems and make for a great way to rejuvenate the post-RoTJ EU which has been loosing readership steadily since Vector Prime.

7. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Chewie was never there to begin with. It was a clone. Much easier to sell to the no way he survived crowd. Yes its a cop out.

8. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I started reading after VP. I went back and read Bantam age. But NJO was good to me. Yeah I miss Chewie. Anakin Solo was the first EU character I met when I was little reading JJK. I was upset he died, but it had to happen.

9. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    THIS A THOUSAND TIMES THIS! Stories like these remind me of Survivor's Quest, which I think is a perfect example of what the post-25 ABY should have been. Hell if I could break into media tie-in writing I'd happily be writing novels like this until the end of time. Mara Jade and Kyle Katarn team up in a book to destroy a Imperial Slave Labor camp (leading to the events of Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith). Six weeks of sorties aboard the Mon Calamari Cruiser Liberty, told by the pilots of Corsair and Rogue Squadron during the Galactic Civil War. It's six months after Order 66 and Obi-Wan Kenobi receives a communique from Satine Kryze as the Empire imposes a tyrannical rule on Mandalore led by a being known only as Suprema. Hell, I always thought having a running series on Mandalore during the Galactic Civil War would be fun...

10. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    We don't need a galaxy wide war for good stories. Characters should be the heart of the Stories. I always thought it would be cool for Star Wars and Del Rey to do a short stories collection, maybe 500-600 pages. Have fans write short stories. Set rules, no bringing people back from the dead. Stay in this time period (whenever-whenever), this many pages. EU characters only. You may reference Trilogy characters, but not interact. Keep personal character creation to a minimum. All proceeds go to R2-KT foundation. All work is made EU level canon. Fans can vote for their favorite. The top favorited gets a one off book.

11. BoomBach

BoomBach Jedi Youngling

Nov 17, 2012
    That's a major difference of the original and the prequels
    The originals had a simple story with a character driven storyline.
    The prequels had a almost history book of it.

Kyris Cavisek likes this.
  12. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Lucas nearly showed him escaping in one of the updates, so I've heard! ;) Mind you, he didn't propose doing it three times (what the heck is it with Fett and that Sarlacc, anyway; if it were me I'd never go within a dozen miles of the place, doesn't he remember that it's there -- or does he enjoy being ingested and/or use it as an opportunity to test his skills?) !

Without the 'culling' in the Yuuzhan Vong War, how large would the Order have got by 45/50 ABY? With all those Knights running around, I would think that a threat wouldn't really have time to materialise before it was dealt with -- Palpatine blindsided the Order, but that's not going to work a second time; not so soon, anyway. Don't forget it took 1000 years for the Jedi to settle into the complacent mindset that made Palpatine's actions possible.

And who would the threat be from? We've been Sith-ed (and Dark-Jedi-ed) out recently; but who else can really threaten a Galaxy containing even 100 to 200 Jedi - current canon says 50 fully-trained in 25 ABY, 300 Masters, Knights and Students by 36 ABY? Certainly not armies of mundane beings - unless you bring in a modified form of Vong, suitable for a film-going audience. Even that has problems of expaining why the Jedi aren't as effective against them -- ISTR even some of the authors had problems! Droid armies are likewise out, not least for the reason of backlash from the Clone Wars.

13. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Enemy 1: Revamp Vong
    Enemy 2: One Sith
    Enemy 3: Lost Tribe
    Enemy 4: Fallen Jedi
    Enemy 5: Empire
    Enemy 6: Rule of Two Sith

14. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    Enemy 7: Mandalorians with Droid Backup or Ysalamiri
    Enemy 8: Elite Forces (Average Jedi really aren't that invulnerable. 212 went to Geonosis, 30 came out alive)
    Enemy 9: Hostile Politicians in the New Republic (Hey... they got an army)
    Enemy 10: Any Government with a Standing Army above a million men.

15. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    One to three would be challenging, the others more or less Lightsaber-fodder IMHO.

16. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    WHere do we go? Palpatine has an evil kid? No Ken Palpatines... Vader had another kid with another woman? So there is a half sibling running around we don't know about? Extra galactic threat? The Sith are the Jedi's natural opponet. They dark opposes the light, ergo a Sith must rise

17. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    While Vader was wise to say it is foolish to underestimate the power of the Force, the reverse is also true, it is equally foolish to overestimate said power. Jedi are not gods, or even Marvel superheroes. They have superhuman abilities yes, but unless one reaches unto The Force Unleashed-style heights of excess, these powers are very limited in scale. Jedi have the power to bend the laws of probability in war, to make a highly unlikely outcome - such as a nigh-impossible shot - possible, but their entry onto to the Order of Battle in galaxy-wide war is ultimately rather modest. The Galactic Empire had, at it's height, twice as many Star Destroyers as the Old Republic had Jedi Knights. In the one and only movie example of a Jedi strike force versus massed enemies in a battlefield environment - the Battle of Geonosis - the Jedi get slaughtered utterly by the weight of superior numbers.

The Prequel trilogy had, if anything, too many major Jedi characters, with the only non-Jedi of consequence on the side of good being Padme Amidala (I refuse to count the droids given how the Prequels abused them). The writers of the sequels would do well to avoid that. That doesn't mean killing all the Jedi, it just means keeping them otherwise occupied.

18. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Agreed, Obi Wan, Anakin, Mace, and Yoda had their hands full. There was a solid 5 minutes of Order 66 being executed. That being said, Aalya Secura, Kit Fisto, Luminara Unduli, Bariss Offee, and Ki Adi Mundi (and Quinlan Vos if we can count him) were kind of nice back ground Jedi characters. I would have been satisfied if we cut out the majority of order. Ie. Trebor COleman, Bultar Swan, countless Geonosis Jedi...

Don't introduce characters like Even Peill, countless Zabrak Jedi Masters, and Shaak Ti, then don't get around to using them. I liked Shaak Ti, she just fell to the way side, else she would be up on the other list. Still including her and Vos, and the main 4 Jedi, and the periphrial suggested ones, the old order would have numbered 11. Less then one Jedi council.

WHile im on it, lets make a female yoda, have her in one frame call her Yaddle and then make her disappear

19. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    I wanna see a Hutt Jedi

20. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Can be done, I guess. I know you are joking.

21. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Putting that onscreen would be interesting.

22. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Shaak Ti's scenes were cut in RotS, she was intended to be a Grievous murder-victim aboard the Invisible Hand and the Wook alleges that her Council seat was intended to be taken by Tsui Choi - an Expanded Universe Jedi - so there's another one who became G-canon (he is seen in RotS during the Battle of Kashyyk).

23. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    i didn't read all of NJO i only have Vector Prime, Dark Tide I: Onslaught, Star by Star and The Unifying Force. and i have all of the Legacy of the Force Books, but from what i've been seeing most people have called that series the prequel trilogy with original trilogy and EU characters.

24. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Prequel Trilogy = The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith - Movies

Original Trilogy = A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi - Movies.

Sequel Trilogy will fit in sometime (we don't know when yet) after Return of the Jedi. Agaiin, these will all be movies.

25. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    which i am looking forward to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.