main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Why the NJO and Legacy Era are toast.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by stellarmagic01, Nov 5, 2012.

?

Do you think the NJO and Legacy are going to Survive Episode VII?

1. Yes

59 vote(s)
    27.6%
  2. No

154 vote(s)
    72.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Luke falling in love with Mara... It isn't necessary. This is why.
    Luke in OT, the only Jedi
    Luke in EU falls in love, gets married, has a kid, wife dies
    Luke in ST serves as mentor to son/other Jedi

But where is his wife. She isn't needed. Maybe a nod, but she isn't the focal point. Luke has 2 roles in the 2 trilogies. Hero in OT, Mentor in ST. If he has a kid, Mara, the once cool Zahn character, became a breeder for Luke to have a child. She is killed off so that Luke can drive toward his role as the mentor.

Lucas gets his single and hermit like Luke, fans get another Skywalker descendant

2. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    The battle of Yavin is not Luke's starting point, though (unless he was flying that X-Wing and blew up the DS1 as an infant). You're forgetting the 19 year gap between RotS (when Luke was born) and ANH - then there's another 30 years after that. Has to be at least that if they use the original cast.

About 30 years later.

3. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Nothing happened in those 30 years, aside from maybe Han and Leia having kids, don't you know. The entire galaxy stopped politicing and fighting so that they could pick back up cause they knew there was another movie coming. We will see a still strong Empire, no artistic liscense, nope. All hints toward what happens can be seen in the final moments of EP6.

No something happens between 6 and 7? What is that? THE EU!

tsunami1138 likes this.
  4. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    You really have trouble with the "this is a movie and people want to see these kinds of things" element of this don't you? Do you think it would have been good in ANH if Obi-wan had given Luke Anakins lightsaber and told him about Leia when he was 12 years old?

I don't know why you hold onto this so much, Kennedy has already said they don't have books to use a template and are talking and having meeting with Lucas about the new movies. The EU won't be used.

Would it have been good to start ESB with Luke a fully trained Jedi Knight and he mentions to Han thathis Yoda person trained him? Would that have been a good story telling move? Does everyone assume Luke and co. did NOTHING between ANH and ESB because none of them are married, Han still has a bounty on his head, Luke isn't a Jedi yet etc....? Why would Lucas leave all these story elements for the next movie instead of having the characters deal with them all in the 3 years between movies?

Why didn't Anakin see Padme at all between TPM and AotC? The Jedi didn't find one clue about the Sith in that time? Did nothing happen in that time? Why didn't they have Anakin and Padme fall for each other in the 10 years or so bewteen movies?

5. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Thast what I said, set it 30 years after RotJ. If you want to the BoY time line, it would be 34 years later I guess. I honestly don't know why you started about this other 19 years.

6. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Because Mark Hamill and Luke have to look of similar age - I don't think that he could be turned out to look younger than 50 - he's 61 now.

7. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Because Mark Hamill and Luke have to look of similar age - I don't think that he could be turned out to look younger than 50 - he's 61 now.[/quote]

http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=mark+...87&start=25&ndsp=31&ved=1t:429,r:38,s:0,i:187

I have no problem with that being someone in his mid 50's.

8. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    No, he's looking a lot better than in some of the earlier shots posted to this forum.

9. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    61 is not far off of 54-56 (which is how old Luke would be 30 years after RotJ). And sure in som epictures he looks bad, in others he doesn't. You can't just dismiss the ones he looks good in.

Ifhe loses weight he'll look younger (most people do) and if he grows a beard....

10. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    It's been reported in that thread that both he and Carrie have been dieting since GL took them to lunch!

Someone also photoshopped him to have a beard - looked good even without extra work. I would really like all three of them to reprise their roles - they'll always be Luke, Leia and Han to me.

11. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Me too. If you want a young post RotJ Big 3 and Chewie, I'd look for a Star Wars animated show. What would make a good script... THE EU!

12. tsunami1138

tsunami1138 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 15, 2012
    The very fact that there will be 30 years between the movies means that there will be things the audience hasn't seen. Unless you want a movie that's two hours of reminiscing about what happened between-times, the audience is going to have to accept that these things happened.

Why bother coming up with 30 years of brand new history, when you could avoid really pi**ing a load of people off and use the stuff that's already out there? This is where the difference between the EU as "collateral damage" and the EU being "deliberately destroyed" comes in.

13. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Obi-Wan is supposedly 58 in ANH... so it's perfectly acceptable for Luke to be played by someone older then the character and just look at how much Luke aged in the OT life experiences are hard on people. Also when doing ages based on the ABY and BBY dating system... don't forget to add +1 for year 0. Luke is 20 in ANH, Obi-wan is 58, and Han is 30.

I hate that term... 'breeder' you guys are throwing around, it's not very respectful. *sigh*

This works or not depending on the circumstances of Mara's death. When developing a character backstory you have to realize, having your kriffing cousin murder your mom when you're a teenager is a hell of a lot different then if she died when he was very young. It's why movies like Batman Begins include the whole death of the family scene, it greatly affects the characters course and arc.

The adopted or orphaned hero is an archetype of it's own that works rather well, but it only works because the loss of their parents as an infant isn't going to impact their characters nearly as much as finding Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen's burned corpses. You show things like that, so in a way fenton is right... Ben isn't suitable if you use all the EU for his backstory.

The same is true for Jaina, I mean she kills her own brother, fights in two galaxy spanning conflicts, and so forth... Yes, there is the archetype of the older more experienced ally in the trilogy (a role played by Han in the OT and Obi-wan in the PT) but lets put the amount of life experience each has next to Jaina's shall we?

Han Solo in ANH
    - Imperial Academy Grad with a couple years working as a smuggler.

Obi-Wan Kenobi in TPM
    - Jedi Padawan with a number of independent missions and several years of experience under Qui-Gon Jinn.

Jaina Solo at 45 ABY
    - Jedi Master
    - Veteran of the Yuuzhan Vong Invasion and Second Galactic Civil War
    - Lone survivor of three siblings.
    - Defeated Jacen Solo, her twin brother, in a duel.

I'm sorry... just no, there's too much. I'm not saying don't use her, I'm saying wipe away the backstory to an acceptable level and keep it sane. It should be reduced to roughly this level if you use her...

Jaina Solo in VII:
    - Jedi Knight and former apprentice of Mara Jade Skywalker.

Ben Skywalker in VII:
    - Jedi Apprentice and son of Luke and Mara Jade Skywalker.

That's an acceptable amount of backstory for a first installment in a trilogy, not the loads you get accepting the whole EU.

14. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Collateral damage, I'm ok with. Deliberately destroyed would make me very angry. We will retcon and salvage what we can

15. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm ok with walking back Jaina and Ben's ages and ranks. However, I do not believe that Jacen or Anakin will be used. Anakin will be not spoken of. They might referenced that Jacen died.

Jaina will have had a few years to get over the battle with her brother. She is a warrior, do you really think she is psycotic at this point? Plus the Jag subplot allows us a chance for a girly Jaina when not on field of battle.

What you propose im not dead against. I just think you want to large of a cast

16. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm not against keeping the narrative focus off Anakin and Jacen, but killing them is a bit extreme. Think about it, Harry Potter has the Weasley family with 9 members... Only one of them is a focal character. We're talking about three siblings, all of which would have been knights at this point. They could be off on other missions and stuff. Their presence could be as little as a 'Hi sis' in the hall of the temple or mention in a council meeting.

Corran: "Jacen reports that the negotiations with the Hutts are going well."
    Luke: "Yes, onto new business... Ben, Jaina come on in."

I think what all of us EU fans can agree on is that we want George to accept and use the characters... we could care less about the established backstories as they are instead of the characters and their established relationships.

17. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    There was 10 years between TPM and AotC, why did they wait to have Anakin and Padme meet? Why not have them fall in love in between movies and start AotC with them together?

Why throw it out? Because it won't piss off that many people and by restarting it you make it more accessable to a larger group of people.

Steller - if you throw out all that stuff in Jaina's backstory your aren't really using the same character. At that point just leave the old EU in tact and start fresh with a new one. If you retcon the existing stuff to the point were it isn't reconizable.......

18. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Given his past and what Kennedy has said, its pretty clear they won't thoug, so why keep hoping for it/assuming they will?

19. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    I've been advocating a partial reboot this whole time fenton. I'm saying the events of the EU up to 25 ABY are perfectly useful, and subsequent events can be cast into an alternate universe. Those characters however would still exist and would be plenty useful in the new trilogy.

20. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I agree but I feel as though they killed off Mara, Jacen, and Anakin by order of Lucas to prep for EP 7.

21. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    The odd thing is that George and Hamill have both reportedly said they're fans of her character... Jacen and Anakin I might see as being ordered, but Karen Traviss has repeatedly stated Mara's death was her idea.

22. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    And as for the "Breeder" Term.
    Pre Marriage Mara= Emperor's Hand, Dark Jedi, Scoundrel, Master Infiltrator, Joins the Jedi Order, uses her abilities for good
    Post Marriage Mara= Council Member, Infected by Virus, Gives birth to Ben, Spends most of NJO infected, killed half way through LotF, DN isn't focused on her.

If you were going to go for a soft boot, I'd be more inclined to use Post NJO time period. Cut from DN on if anything...

23. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Perhaps, Luke can turn one of her darkside clones running around in Riptide for the purpose of having A Mara... Perhaps Maara? LOL.

24. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    If their was one Jedi who I believe could survive death and be retconned it would be Mara. Let Ben be hardened by her death. Have the Jedi Shadow plant clues for Ben to lead him to the conclussion it was Jacen. During FotJ, Mara tails her husband and son, killing additional enemies before they reach them. Think like Assassin's Creed/Jedi Mara Jade only bent on protecting her family. She is discovered, returns to her family. Luke asks why she stayed hidden for so long. Her answer, "Force Vision said if I didn't, the galaxy would go down the wrong path"

That is alot of explanation for the wife of the mentor character, who will only be a supporting character. But it can be done...

25. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I think you are just a hardcore Mara fan, Stellar. You want her back

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.