main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Why the NJO and Legacy Era are toast.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by stellarmagic01, Nov 5, 2012.

?

Do you think the NJO and Legacy are going to Survive Episode VII?

1. Yes

59 vote(s)
    27.6%
  2. No

154 vote(s)
    72.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith_Knight087

Sith_Knight087 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 5, 2012

2. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Wait, where in that video do they say they'll consult the EU for story ideas?

3. Sith_Knight087

Sep 5, 2012
    The EU continuity has NEVER been tampered with in it's 30+ years of existence, why in the hell would Lucasfilm change it now.

tsunami1138 likes this.
  4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The The Clone Wars project is in the process of tampering with it- compressing events that took place over two or more years, into the space of a few months.

LawJedi likes this.
  5. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    It gets modified one or twice a decade or so. TCW is one; the 32BBY date for TPM is another; so is the 1,000BBY date for the full-scale war at the start of the Republic. As you can see, it's mainly the prequels. :p

I tend to feel that with the ages of the Big Three, not alot will actually get touched-Lucas matches character age to actor age, so there's literally about a thirty year gap in the chronology. Also, Chewbacca was Lucas' substitution for Luke dying in Vector Prime. And that's easily the biggest event, character-wise, in the whole EU; they hadn't, and haven't, killed a main from one of the films before or since then, besides Palpatine in Dark Empire, which was also George's suggestion for the story. If they get unoriginal and unleash the Empire, that'll be a pretty big deal, but not one (imo) that can't be worked.

SuperWatto likes this.
  6. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Because Episodes 7, 8 and 9 weren't a reality before.

7. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Right, that's why Obi-Wan was so calm when Qui-Gon was stabbed. Or Yoda didn't break his non-attachment rule in AOTC. Not to mention the tragedy in ROTS.

8. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Wait, didn't the entire line of early Marvel comics get de-canonized? What about "Splinter in the Mind's Eye," the very first EU product (apart from the ANH novelization), didn't ESB and ROTJ render that non-canon?

9. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    DB, you're absolutely right. Except I'm not sure about Chewie; I don't think they can resist bringing him back into the fold. After all, how old do Wookiees get? He may be the only one still in his prime. The only one of the old guard really fit for action.

But if NJO on and onwards is discarded, there'd still be a lot left unscathed.

10. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I don't think NJO is in danger at all, personally. The character-age thing sets Episode 7 after its end point.

DNT, LOTF, and FOTJ can all ride the train to oblivion, though. :p

SuperWatto likes this.
  11. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    well doesn't that make the first Clone Wars Project non-canon?

12. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    No.

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Okay those are some good examples. I'm trying to say overall they seemed aloof. I did like Kenobi's and Qui-Gon's relationship in TPM especially the part you mentioned.

-NaTaLie- likes this.
  14. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    What? It has constantly been tampered with.

15. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    They're supposed to be detached due to their letting go philosophy. It doesn't mean they never feel love or fear, they just learn to control their emotions before they interfere with their duty. That's why they have trouble understanding what Anakin is going through. I suppose Yoda and Obi-Wan realize that traditional Jedi upbringing needs to be changed after the disaster strikes and give away Leia and Luke into the normal families. However, they still underestimate the power of attachment when it comes to Luke and Vader.

16. mattman8907

Nov 17, 2012
    well speaking of Jedi the one thing i would like to see is Jedi Council Meetings.

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I agree and while the meetings that we did see in the PT were interesting, I want to see more. I'm curious where the ST could go with how these meetings could be presented.

18. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    If the Order is small, which is likely, you probably don't even need a Jedi Council. Just gather all the Jedi nearby and discuss stuff.

Tim Battershell likes this.
  19. Sith_Knight087

Sep 5, 2012
    Maybe I should rephrase my statement. Yes there have been many times in the EU where there have been small retcon's in older stories so as to make them more consistent with more recent stories. But there has never been a gigantic continuity purge in which many EU stories and dare I say it even entire publishing era's that have been completely disregarded.

tsunami1138 and DarthBoba like this.
  20. mattman8907

Nov 17, 2012
    there are a few stories that i wish will stay in continuity and that is the thrawn trilogy, Spector of the Past and Vision of the Past (which deal with the end of Galactic Civil War and Luke getting engaged to Mara) and Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of mindor in which he resigns his new republic General commission.

21. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    The Zahn novels are such EU darlings that I doubt they'll be touched except for really minor things (date error in TTT for the clone wars for example). Survivor's Quest incorporated logical elements of TPM and it's partner novel Outbound Flight really incorporated a lot of the Prequel stuff. So I think that's fairly safe (baring George Lucas declaring Luke never married).

Vector Prime, New Jedi Order, and following stories are likely on the chopping block for a number of reasons.
    1. Chewie's Death (Killing a popular character in a Novel only a tiny portion of his fanbase read isn't smart business)
    2. The end of the New Republic (Lucas has said the sequel trilogy will be about the restoration of the Republic, well they can't do that if there is no Republic but the GFFA)
    3. Two Galaxy spanning wars we don't witness? (The Vong War was such a disaster it makes the Clone Wars and Galactic Civil War pale in comparison)
    4. Character baggage for possible heroes (Jacen's fall and subsequent death, Mara's death at Jacen's hands, and so forth).

22. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I have to agree about TTT not being ignored. I've seen figures that say they've sold more than 15 million copies. That's a lot of people assuming that some aspect of those novels might play a role in the ST.

23. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Which are, so someone posted, exactly the titles/series which teenaged new readers are into. Empire and warlords were said to be old hat, and of no interest to them.

24. mattman8907

Nov 17, 2012
    some of the reviews i read said the LOTF was basically a prequel trilogy rip off with original trilogy characters replacing the PT characters.

25. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, if this new trilogy is going to continue to be about the Skywalker saga, doesn't Luke have to have a child to continue the Legacy. Otherwise, the name dies with him. I don't think Han and Leia's child/children would count. Just a thought. I posted this in another thread , but I think it's relevant to this one as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.