main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Why the odds are "3720 to 1" you'll actually like EP7

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by phatdude1138, Nov 10, 2012.

1. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I too went in with an open mind. I could actually feel my face burning with embarrassment during the opening scene when the mouths of the Chinese alien voices of the Nemoidians didn't match the words they were speaking. The next so bad it's embarrassing incident came when I heard Jar jar use the same catch-phrase as the Olsen twins from Full House, ("Exsqueeze me"). Scene after horrible scene just piled up from there. Stepping in poop, Opie farts, Yipee, Bug Squat, little person in a badly fitting rubber suit as alien child, etc. In spite of all that, I went back, with a totally open mind, and saw it 4 times the first week in an attempt to try to like this movie, but it just wasn't happening. Now, in 2012, my expectations are nearly zero. I'm so alienated from this franchise that it can ONLY win me back. I'm going to be delighted if it merely doesn't suck. With the exception of a vocal minority of people that really seem to love the PT, I literally know of no-one with high expectations for SW VII. I think most of us are just hoping it merely doesn't suck. That really isn't much to live up to...

Grand_Moff_Jawa likes this.
  2. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    I think you hit the nail on the head. I believe that this is absolutely where the SW franchise is right now. Because of the last 12 years, SW VII is in the exact same situation as the Hulk film that followed the Ang Lee Hulk.

3. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    ...except for the fact that the majority of the audience loved the PT.
    I only expect one thing: a good movie. That's probably what I'll get, too.

BTW: Disney are still not making these movies.

"The dark side of fandom has clouded your vision, my friend"
    /LM

4. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    URL to any comment section anywhere outside of JC where the majority of the people in it are about how much they love the PT?

Grand_Moff_Jawa likes this.
  5. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    It's Star Wars. It'll be entertaining if anything. I'm optimistic enough to be pessimistic.

KilroyMcFadden likes this.
  6. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    As long as the ST focuses on story instead of special effects, I'll likely be a happy camper. You know, like the OT did. After the WOW factor wore off, the PT sort of lost its luster to a lot of people. You have to have a solid story foundation to build from, otherwise you'll end up with a weak movie overall. That goes for any movie, not just SW, obviously.

Inblackestnight likes this.
  7. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Kilroy: Please. You know as well as I do that the internet is mostly used as a wall of complaint. Those who are content don't feel the need to shove their love down everybody's throats.
    Besides, the numbers speak for themselves. The PT was a huge commercial success. All over the world, kids have been watching the movies, buying the toys and costumes and generally enjoyed the franchise. Just like the kids of 1977-1983 did with the OT.

You keep believing what you want to believe, though. That won't change the fact that Star Wars is now a stronger brand than ever before.

"Good is a point of view, dude"
    /LM

StampidHD280pro likes this.
  8. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Yes, we all know that ticket sales = a good movie.

9. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    ...and we all know that a dismissive remark that conveniently ignores the point of the above statement is always right...

"You don't know the power of Star Wars"
    /LM

10. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    These are 2 different scenarios. The PT told a story that everyone knew the ending to and had developed in their mind how that played out and some were dissappointed it didn't follow their script.

The ST has no such baggage. We know nothing about how this will play out making this more like TESB and RotJ.

Not even close. Episode VII is a sequel to RotJ and the OT, somthing fans have wanted to see since 1983. The Incredible Hulk was an attempted reboot of a franchise 5 years after it started. This was closer to what happened with Nolan Batman vs. the earlier Batman film except there was more time between the reboot and it was atually beter than the originals (unlike The Incredible Hulk).

11. Jedi Master Kenobi

Jedi Master Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Nov 17, 2012
    Much like with the prequels I just love that Star Wars will be alive again! Also my little girls will have a chance to watch "Daddys Roboks" (As my eldest calls anything SW related) on the big screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I agree. People paid to see these movies over and over agin.
    TPM = 1 billion worldwide
    AotC = 650 million worldwide
    RotS = 850 million worldwide

You don't do that business if people do not like the movies

13. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    You can't classify anyone who did not like the prequels in that fashion. Episodes II and III were enjoyable, but The Phantom Menace was a terrible film. Not because of my expectations since I was a kid, but because in my view, it really was terrible.

If SW can survive TPM and the horrible love story (if you can call it that) of II, then it will certainly survive the Mouse.

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  14. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    That's not what I'm arguing at all. You're reading into my statement. I said literally nothing in there about expectations for Episode 7. And I have a question for you: The Star Wars films are some of the most popular entertainments in the world. Despite our own self-congratulatory nature there is nothing "niche" or "cult" about them. They are massively popular entertainments and have always been so. So how is it exactly that following the structure of the original Star Wars films (which were three of the templates for the big action blockbuster, even if they are generally more intelligent than the blockbusters that followed) is going to "alienate the masses"? The masses are what made the structure popular in the first place.

15. Ron Fett

Ron Fett Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    My toes could be gnawed on by rabbit ferrets for the whole two hours and I know I will still love Episode 7.

16. TheMasterOfSoresu

TheMasterOfSoresu Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2011
    Star Wars: TPM total ticket sales: 85 million
    Star Wars: RotS total ticket sales: 59 million

That's a big drop.

17. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    I disagree. I think expectations for SW is at the absolute lowest point right now, and that, just like the Hulk, even if they make a mediocre flick, it will be heralded as brilliant.

18. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Well, actually, the expectations are going to be high because of the original actors, good screenwriter and (hopefully) solid director. Besides, some people think any Star Wars movie that's not a masterpiece is a disappointment.

19. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    If those films weren't "Star Wars" and they were unrelated movies, they would have bombed. Success at the gate had nothing to do with the quality of the films themselves. They basically rode on the "Star Wars" name. I saw those flicks multiple times in a vain attempt to truly like them, b/c I am a Star Wars fan. If they were "such & such" and not Star Wars, I would have seen the first one & ignored the second two, let alone get second & third chances to win my affection.

Kilroy said it best. The vast majority of people outside of the Star Wars 'circle' don't like those movies, for a host of reasons.

Jedi_Lover and TheMasterOfSoresu like this.
  20. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    For a second sequel? Not really.
    Anyway, the point is that Star Wars is a very strong brand right now, not just because of those movies, but also because of TCW, TOR, KOTOR, LEGO Star Wars and SW literature, which seems to thrive like never before with stories like LOTF, Legacy, Clone Wars novels and never-before-told stories of characters like Palpatine and Obi-Wan Kenobi.
    It's an exciting time for Star Wars fans, to put it mildly. Expectations are bound to be high for EpVII. Whether or not it will disappoint as many fans as TPM disappointed, though, we'll probably never know. Those who are disappointed will make themselves heard regardless.

"Look I so shallow to old eyes?"
    /LM

21. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Actually, it's the other way around: fans are the harshest critics. Casual fans and general audience might have been disappointed to some extent but there's no proof that the majority hates them. Kids have always liked Star Wars in any form (and that's the target audience, after all). After all, if everyone is hating them, who's buying all those Blu Rays with prequels and altered OT?

22. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Ask around. You'll find your proof.

23. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    7 years after ROTJ Star Wars was pretty much dead. 7 years after ROTS it was still going strong (even before the acquisition). I could never get into the post-ROTJ EU, but I dig a lot of the PT related products: games, TCW, some comics and books. This would never come to pass if the prequels were total abomination like some people claim.

24. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    I had conversations over the years. Most people I know in real life are not die-hard fans. They're either indifferent or like the saga as a whole (not just the OT). There're plenty of positive reviews on Amazon from parents who like watching movies with their kids (and TCW, too). They just don't have time to go and rant like fanboys.

Just recently talked to one guy at work. He said the news about the Disney deal got him excited all over again so he took out his Blu Rays and watched all six with lots of popcorn. Does he think the prequels are flawless? No, but he still had a blast.

25. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I'd say the odds are great that I'll like Episode VII. Although I am fully expecting to like it in the same way I like the new Star Trek and Avatar, where I mostly just enjoy the surface action/adventure as opposed to being wowed by narrative and imagery. Likewise, I'd say the odds are great that I won't find any scenes in the new film that rival my favorite directorial moments of Lucas.