main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Why the odds are "3720 to 1" you'll actually like EP7

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by phatdude1138, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Suginami

Suginami Jedi Youngling

Nov 16, 2012
    I think Disney will make Star Wars movies great once again. I watched ROTJ three times in the last week, and just thinking about the Sequel Trilogy makes me feel like a kid again.

2. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I'm sure they're involved in at least some of those conversations, but I'd think even the majority of those decisions will probably still be left up to Kathy Kennedy. After all, Lucasfilm already had at least one writer aboard before the Disney deal even went down.

3. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    It (the story treatment by Arndt) was probably used to illustrate the sort of value that Disney could get out of the deal, that said I'd say that Arndt's contract probably had a precedent condition of the Disney sale going through with a retainer.

4. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Hah! I have that beat. I've seen RoTJ in the theater 17 times - 13 times in 1983, and 4 additional times in 1997.

5. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Nah, I really doubt that. Move along.

6. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I have to say, I didn't expect such disrespectful behavior from an oldbie.
    I'm not gonna take the bait, though, if that's what you think.

My point, since you seem hellbent on missing it unless I spell it out once again, is that the kids of 1999-2005 love these movies just as much as the kids of 1977-1983 love the first three.
    Furthermore, I'll point out that the only reason that this love doesn't make as much of a racket is that there are many more beloved franchises of the same ilk these days. There is just no way for Star Wars to have the same kind of cultural impact again.
    Over and out.

"There are so many!"
    /LM

lbr789, Chels and ThatWanFromStewjon like this.
  7. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012

I don't think anything I said is there :confused:

8. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    From me?

I haven't logged on in a while as there hasn't been any news.

And I don't think I typed anything in that post - it "quotes" me but it isn't me:confused:

9. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    In an effort to reduce "redundant" threads on the forums, I just decided to "re-use" this one.

As more and more info comes out on EP7, I'm starting to notice more and more people coming up with grandiose ideas of what they think the "perfect" film would be. This is starting to send red flags up because it seems we have the catalyst for the conception of a new breed of "Trilogy Hater" in the works. In the corporate world it's called "managing expectations".

I also like to use the formula: "infinity -1". Basically there are only a "few" ways you want something done correctly (in your opinion), but there are an infinite number of ways it can be done, minus the ways YOU'D like it done. Which means the odds a pretty much against you having it the way you want. This formula can be used for almost anything: for example what are your 5 favorite foods? Now everything on earth that are NOT those five foods are NOT your favorite.

Long story short is I think you have to be open to almost anything. You can't be super critical on anything when it comes to EP7 and beyond. I'm seeing in almost every thread people posting "If ____ happens, it will totally ruin the film." Or I see the opposite: "They totally have to do ____! If they don't, it will just be stupid".

I have to reiterate that I saw this same type of setup before TPM came out. People were hoping for a big buff manly Anakin fighting Obi-Wan on the top of an actual volcano, not a innocent child that lost his mother and fell in love with a girl he shouldn't have gotten involved with. They never envisioned Gungans. They never thought the "Republic" would actually involve a "political" settings. I'm not sure what people were wanting (or not wanting). But what ever it was (or wasn't) didn't work for them and the PT hater was born.

I honestly don't see a way around having future "ST Haters". Some people will not be satisfied. My hope is that they will just "manage their expectations" and be open to whatever is thrown out there for us to watch..

10. Doug625

Doug625 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 9, 2012
    As I have said before on another thread in here, unless you were there in the theaters in 1977, you have no idea how big Star Wars was. For those of us who lived it back in the day, there was no way the PT could have lived up to expectations. I watch the PT sometimes but much of it is painful to get through, just terrible dialogue! But I think because of the disappointment of the PT for many of us, we have realized that nothing can ever compare to the hysteria the OT caused, and now I am just happy to have more star wars movies coming and I have no doubt I will be happy with them.....they gotta be better than the PT!

KilroyMcFadden likes this.
  11. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I was there is '77 (I was 10), and at first I was taken aback by E-1. Hearing Obi-Wan's name, and seeing lightsabers on the big screen and thinking 'holy ****, that's Luke and Liea's mother when we first saw Padme in her red dress was fan girl super joy, but the rest? Errrr.. No.... It was during Clones where I learned to 'let go' and enjoy the ride (and where I had my holy.****, Luke's dad is HOT!! when we first saw the adult Anakin in the lift...) Of course I have expectations and hopes for the ST, but I'll just have to wait and see like the rest of us...

12. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I just don't think there will be ST haters unless the movies end up being as bad as the PT. The expectations going into this are so low as a result of the PT that it is almost guaranteed that the worst anyone will say is, "at least it's not as bad as the PT." Unlike GL, I think JJ is capable of taking the lessons of the PT to heart. He almost can't lose.

Heero_Yuy likes this.
  13. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Bravo sir. Bravo. =D=

And don't tell me, you didn't decide what the story would be before you saw it? ;)

EDIT: And reading on we have this:
    Bravo once more sir ^:)^

phatdude1138 likes this.
  14. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I was a big spoiler guy back in the TPM days.I would do anything to get tidbits of the story and find out what it was about. Going into the theater on opening night I "knew" what to expect. However a lot of my un-spoiled friends left disappointed (for the exact reasons I listed).

Even though I'm not a fan of Abrams or Disney, I'm going to take the same approach as I did with the PT, and go in just expecting MORE content (if my retinas can handle all the lens flares!). As I said before, if Abrams follows the basics of a Star Wars film, it can't really be bad.

I do however seeing even more segregation with the fans. There are the "whole saga" loving folks, and then the PT haters. Now with the ST, there will be even more combinations of fans: All 9 film saga lovers. PT & OT saga lovers, but hate the ST. People that only like the OT and the ST. And possibly the ST only fans.

15. Death T

Death T Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 12, 2012
    There's no avoiding it. Plenty of people will hate the new movies. I think the prequels will get more respect though since the hate will be re-focused on the even-newer Star Wars trilogy. =P

I see what you're saying though. I already have some ideas I really wanna see in the ST, and will probably be let down when they're not included the way I want them to be. I'll like them just fine though--I just sit back and enjoy these kind of things.

16. DiditAllForTheWookie

DiditAllForTheWookie Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2001
    You are right in one way. Being upset about the prequels was about my expectations. My expectation was that the movies would have characters that I could identify with that reacted to situations realistically, that the dialogue wouldn't make me laugh outloud at how obnoxious it was, that the narrative wouldn't get stuck in the mud over and over.

The prequels were worthwhile for me in a lot of ways, but the fact that they disappointed me wasn't my fault. That...is a new one. You are trying WAY to hard, dude.

KilroyMcFadden likes this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    As long as I have fun I will love this movie. If it has lightsabers, starfighters, Skywalkers, Solos, Rebels, Empire, aliens, Jedi, Other Force users, etc, I will be content.

18. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Avoid the mistakes of The Phantom Menace. Have content that works for both kids and adults, not some content that works for kids, and others that work for adults. That causes each party to have something major in the film to dislike (in this case, kid-aspects would be Jar Jar - adult aspects are politics in the Senate).

19. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012

Not everyone who disliked the PT was let down by their expectations. There are valid critiques of the PT. However, there also valid critiques of the OT. Phatdude1138 was pointing out that there is a significant subset of fans who glorify the OT ad infinitum and has such absurdly high expectations of the PT that when the film came out, they were let down. You are not one of them. The ones who claim GL raped their childhood are.

phatdude1138 likes this.
  20. Doug625

Doug625 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 9, 2012
    Disney is the perfect match for making things work for kids and adults, they know how to do this better than anyone.

07jonesj likes this.
  21. admiral_Jim

admiral_Jim Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2004
    I think you've just got to go along for the ride, there will be bits you like and maybe others you don't but I suppose for most of us on here, Star Wars is more than a movie franchise and more of an interest, or even a hobby, that wasn't the case in '77, more movies represent a continuation of our hobby and in my opinion that's a very fine thing indeed. If you go into this movie expecting to hate it, you probably will