Why the PT & OT are so different, and why thats a good thing.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by legolas-fett, Mar 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
  1. legolas-fett Jedi Padawan

This is my first topic and first post! (though I have been an SW for like 11 years)

The PT is getting a lot of crap because it isn't the fun adventure that the OT was. Well it period can't be. The OT was fun because you the bad guys and good guys were black and white. But in this film the hero is a "star-crossed" hero. Even through the darkness of the OT there was fun because there was no doubt the good guys were going to win. But the PT isn't a classic battle of good and evil, it is a more complex myth with the hero falling from grace.
    In my opinion it is all going to pay off and the lack off fun is going to be worth it when Episode III comes out because everything will finally fall into place and come together in an awesome dark tale.

Just think about it if Episode I and II were so fun then the next one would seem so out of place.

Anyone agree with me?
  2. ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling

star 4
  3. Pfft Jedi Youngling

star 1
    The PT is getting a lot of crap because it isn't the fun adventure that the OT was. Well it period can't be.

The PT is fun.

Anyone agree with me?

No.
  4. Latorski Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, good and bad is not so clearly defined in the PT. I like it this way and agree that we have a good build up to Episode III.
  5. vampire-jing Jedi Knight

star 3
    Very impressive,legolas-fett,you took the words from my mouth.
  6. Luukeskywalker Chosen One

star 4
    I think the problem is that the PT is taking crap for not being fun, when in fact it is LOADS of fun, and pretty darned complex and mythical too.
  7. SithLord-Will Jedi Knight

star 3
    Complexity is a hard thing for people to accept in movies, they want complex storys to all fit together in the end. So yes its true... When EpIII comes out and puts everything in place, people will finaly relize how good it is.

The OT, though extremly good, wasn't complex at all realy, Vader Bad Luke good... and it grew from there... The only complexity is that Vader is Lukes father...Which in itself is more of a twist...

So...Bashers....Mark My words and eat your own! EpIII will turn you into a believer!
  8. DamonD Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Good points, but I don't think there is that much difference between the PT and the OT.
  9. Durwood Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The primary reason things are so different is because of the way the story progresses. To put it another way, the shifting environment is perfectly logical.

Think about in, in the prequels, it's a time of peace and our heroes are living in the heart of wealth and prosperity. By the time of the originals, the heroes are a band of outlaws, on the run, scraping together whatever they can just to get by. The first few films take place in the center of the galactic government while the last half is all set on backwater planets.

Lucas is slowly moving us from the glitz and opulence seen in TPM to the gritty locales of the originals. Even AOTC was a darker, grittier film than its predecessor, and I have a feeling that Episode III will bridge the final gap that remains between the two trilogies. I fully expect that Episode III won't simply be the end of the prequels, it will flow logically and cleanly into Episode IV fulfilling Lucas' vision of making this one continuous story.
  10. G-FETT Force Ghost

star 7
    I always think of the TPM as being like Europe and America during the early 1920's. The so called "roaring 20's" Much wealth, fun and enjoyment in a generally peaceful galaxy. AOTC, is kind of like 1929, when the world was rocked by the "Wall St Crash" This was really the start of the whole world unravelling. As is the Clone Wars, to the galaxy. Episode III, will be like the mid to late 1930's, when the world was on the brink of war, there was much suffering and millions of people all over the world were in poverty and general misery. This of course, leaves the OT to be like the terrible "War Years" of the early 40's.

11. stacysatrip Jedi Master

star 4
    I love the PT. It's fun, start to finish. So is Episode IV. Ep. III, Ep. V, and Ep. VI will not/are not "fun." They are/will be depressing (though not VI so much). I think each film just makes the ones before it and the ones after it that much better, and I agree that it will all fall into place. The PT is there to explain how the Republic falls, how the Empire rises, and what the hell happened to Anakin Skywalker to make him turn out the way he did. And I think they're doing a great job.

I love the PT and the OT equally.
  12. Pfft Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Even AOTC was a darker, grittier film than its predecessor, and I have a feeling that Episode III will bridge the final gap that remains between the two trilogies.

I think the subject matter for AotC gave it a better atmosphere than TPM. TPM wallowed too much in CGI and not enough in story. What I saw in AotC, I expected to see in TPM. I personally think TPM totally missed the mark for the first episode in a variety of ways.

I also believed GL failed in making the movie for kids. If he wanted to that, he should have followed the lead of Walt Disney's Beauty and the Beast, Lion King or Aladdin; the best children's stories are those which appeal to kids, but are able to affect adults too.

Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.