main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why the PT will never be as good as the OT

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Sebulba-Dug, Jun 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bleh19

bleh19 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2001
    Sebulba...

First you have to be able to tell what is CGI and and what is real world elements, to be any any position to bitch about the CGI.

2. Sebulba-Dug

Sebulba-Dug Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2002
    Yodave27: You addressed my points and I agree with you, but I am giving reasons as to why I think the OT is better. I'm not trying to bash on the PT. I loved AOTC. I loved TPM, even though most people hated it. I just think the OT is better and I'm giving my reasons why I (emphasis on I) think it was better.

3. sidious1000

sidious1000 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2001
    well i for one didn´t have a clue that the clonetroopers where cg until i read it here and neither did any of my friends know about it

4. jedi-jeff

jedi-jeff Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 2, 2000
    I generally agree with the criticisms of the romance between Padme and Anakin. I particularly felt that the dialogue between Padme and Anakin could have been better. This is the only major problem I had with this film.

5. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    Also the PT is a set up for the OT. Alot of things that happen in the PT don't get resolved until the OT. (Anakin's redemption, fall of the Empire, the twins fate, etc.)

6. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    I can't believe some people don't like the PT as much because it's not simple like the OT. I thought intricate plots and complex characters were good things. Just because it's SW doesn't mean you have to shut off your brain.

7. Yodave27

Feb 2, 2001
    Just because it's SW doesn't mean you have to shut off your brain.

Yeah but some of the people on this board prove that theory though PB.

8. jedi-jeff

Nov 2, 2000
    The "AOTC story is too complicated" criticism is the dumbest complaint I have heard about AOTC.

9. Skywalker1177

Skywalker1177 Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2002
    I'd have to agree with Sebulba-Dug, sure the PT is good, but there are just certain aspects that no one could make better and top the OT. I mean, it's the Original Star Wars Saga from the 70's/80's, NOTHING will ever be better. Ever. 'Nuff Said.

10. Sebulba-Dug

May 25, 2002
    My point in the Good vs Evil thing was that this is what Star Wars is supposed to be about IMO. I don't want to get into an EU arguement, but if you look at classic examples like the Thrawn Trilogy, that's what makes it so great. It's classic Good vs Evil, as was the OT. That was the feel of Star Wars. The PT just doesn't have that feel as much. Once again, I love the PT...I'm not trying to say it sucks, I just like the OT better.

11. Kay-Elle

Kay-Elle Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2002
    The problem there, sebulba, is that Anakin is probably as many shades of grey as you can get - and he needs to be just that, for him to fall and then be redeemed. That plus the fact that life rarely is black or white. I like it, I don't think it's "un-starwarsly", so to speak - it just gives us a new dimension.

12. Adali-Kiri

Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    It's a pointless debate ... of course people who got into the OT first will always cherish it the most (well, probably) ... the original Star Wars was the FIRST! It was the movie that started it all! Just by being that film, none of the others can really compare. How many times can you make that first brilliant film? Once. And you're allowed to say that you dig the OT more than the new movies. I just don't get why people will want to make lists of reasons and try to convince others on the matter. That's attracting debate, but it seems like Sebulba-Dug wasn't very happy with the debate unless people agreed with him ... so what was the point? I'm happy to know that you prefer the OT, but your reasons means very little to me. And especially so if you expect me not to voice any disagreements.

Someone brought up how Star Wars was more of a cultural phenomenon back in the early 80s, but that now it's just another blockbuster. Well, I agree. But is this really because Star Wars isn't what it was? Hmmm, could be. But why don't we look at the bigger picture? Is the world in general and movies in particular the same today as back then? Most definitely not! There are zillions of blockbusters each year that spawn zillions of spin-off merchandise. Star Wars invented the blockbuster (hot on the heels of Jaws, though) and Star Wars invented the spin-off merchandise heaven. These days everyone does it, and Star Wars doesn't have any special place there anymore. Apart from being the originator. And of course, we may not be as much into the toy thing now as when we were 10, don't you think?

I dare to state this - the world has changed, Star Wars has not.

Peace! :)

13. sidious_fan3

sidious_fan3 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2002
    People make me sooooooooooooooo mad when they talk about how the OT is better than the PT! If you ask a six year old kid which is better he would say the PT. If you ask a thirty year old he would say the OT. The reason people think that the OT is better is because it was sooo revolutionary for it's time. No one had seen anything like it before. The OT was hailed as the greatest movies of all time. When Lucas created TPM everyone expected it to be exactly the same feel and emotion as the OT when it's not possible. The galaxy is completely different during the PT. It's nearly impossible to compare the two because they are so different. I don't think there was anyway Lucas could have pleased the public even if every aspect of the PT was perfect. People need to lighten up and see the PT for what it is. A completely different story that eventually links with the OT. Just enjoy and stop putting up impossible standards of perfection that can't be lived up to. Kids today pick apart the OT just like the adults pick apart the PT. The special effects look unrealistic and crappy. Just relax and enjoy the movies.

14. Sebulba-Dug

May 25, 2002
    I just don't get why people will want to make lists of reasons and try to convince others on the matter. That's attracting debate, but it seems like Sebulba-Dug wasn't very happy with the debate unless people agreed with him ... so what was the point?

I wasn't trying to attract a debate. I thought more people would agree with me. And when was I not happy with the debate because people weren't agreeing with me? The only reason I was getting upset, is because people were misinterpreting what I was trying to say and making it sound like I HATE the PT, when I infact love it.

Everyone is asking why anyone would want to bring this up even. My reason for posting this is because I was watching ESB and ROTJ last night, and realized there was just something about these movies that appeal to me more than the PT. Up to that point I never really had a standpoint on the whole PT vs OT thing. Then I started trying to figure out what it was about them that was so appealing. These are the things that came to mind.

15. The_Reek

The_Reek Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 15, 2002
    Personally. I like the PT better than the OT. #1. It is much more epic and realistic, I'm a fan of those two things. #2. Royal and classical character types, I can't stand listening to the everyday, american banter of Han and Leia and Luke. #3. Cooler characters, Mace, Yoda (I like him in AOTC just as good as in TESB, though the fight makes me favor CGI just a little bit more :) ), Nute Gunray, Count Dooku, Maul, Padme, Qui-Gon, Palpatine, young Obi-Wan, Anakin, all the Jedis, Watto, Jango, and Zam. Compare that to the only characters I really and truely like in the OT: Yoda, Tarkin, Vader, Ben Kenobi, the Droids, Jabba, and of course the Emperor. The only cool Rebel guy is Admirl Ackbar, he totally rules. #3. More action, compare the end of AOTC to that of ALL of the OT put together. Its pathetic, though I enjoy the final Space Fight in ROTJ. #4 Clonetroopers are WAY better fighters than idiotic Stormtroopers, Clonetroopers suits are also way less bulky and are far more spify. I've always hated Stormtroopers, but Clonetroopers, they rock. #5. More awesome planets. From Coruscant to the INCREDIBLE planet of Kamino, from the green royal planet of Naboo to Boonta Eve, from the insectness of Geonosis to Mos Espa. #6. The PT is just so classical, epic, and so ultra cool, I practically peed myself re-watching the opening scene of TPM today.

But there is one thing that makes the Classic Trilogy what it is: Darth Vader. My favorite OT character, the man behind Episodes-4-6. He rocks.

Will the flames ingulf me? Maybe...

16. jedi-jeff

Nov 2, 2000
    The_Reek

Though I prefer the OT over the prequels, I am still a big fan of the prequels for many of the reasons you have listed. I am particularly like many new planets we see in the prequels. The scenes on these planets are much more expansive than the OT because of the use of a variety of techniques including CGI. This is why I am critical of fans who don't like CGI.

17. Yodave27

Feb 2, 2001
    I like the PT better than the OT for this reason; I was 15 when TPM came out, 18 for AOTC and will be 21 for Episode III. These are my formative years and I have a SW saga unfolding in front of me. When the saga is released on DVD in 2006, I'm gonna watch the PT more than the OT just because when I see the opening shot of AOTC I'll remember where I was.

As opposed to the OT which I first saw on video, it's good and I love it, but it doesn't have the emotional connection for me the way the PT does. And yes the OT was re-released in 1997, but that wasn't the first time I saw it. The opening shot of the Tantive and the Star Destroyer wasn't on a huge screen, it was on my dad's 27" TV.

18. Sebulba-Dug

May 25, 2002
    Just for the record, I was never bashing CGI and agree with what you guys are saying, but I do prefer the more "realistic" look of the OT. (ie the forest on Endor in ROTJ)

19. JBFett

JBFett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    well...
    there are definately some great posts with some great opinions in here. Kudos to all of you for a consistent slew of decent posts...no one has really bastardized the thread with completely moronic statements.

I personally dont prefer any trilogy to the other. They are both part of ONE saga which i love as a whole. As far as story and plot goes...i think AOTC has the richest plot of all of the movies. period. Its got such urgency and it really is brilliant on all levels. This is a backstory for the OT, and its one hell of a good one. Lucas could have half a$$ed it and made it just like the OT, but he was great in being very very creative with it. New worlds, creatures, characters and struggles. A political story, a tale of love and war and the classic struggle between good and evil. The whole anti-hero tale of Anakin is just marvelous and you will all see in 2005 how happy you are that there was a PT.

Enjoy the ride while it lasts, cause we are truly blessed to be able to enjoy the magic and wonder that is Star Wars.

20. JBFett

JBFett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Up and away

21. Darth_Xero

Darth_Xero Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2001
    Why would you want to compare them now? It's unfair. The OT has 3 films while the PT has only 2. Wait until Episode III comes out then we could really have a discussion on which of the 2 trilogies is most satisfying. Although I have a feeling that Episode III could turn the tide on the Prequel trilogy's side. *Vader breaths* ;)

22. SW3TheHolidaySpecial

SW3TheHolidaySpecial Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 2001
    Sebulba-Dug,I get what you're saying about the CGI,the models and such were actual physical things that made them look real-becuase they WERE real.

23. Sebulba-Dug

May 25, 2002
    Finally!!! Someone understands me!!! Woohoo!!! I thought maybe I was not making sense or something.

24. NORTHSTAR

NORTHSTAR Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2002
    SEBULBA

Great comments! I wish George Lucas would read your idea's. On Raiders of the lost Ark, Lucas pissed off Speilberg by cutting out 1/2 of the climatic ending (from 6 minutes to 3 minutes)

In the end Speilberg was amazed (with Geroges vision) at how "less ended up being more". I just wish George Lucas would get back to that approach.

25. jedi-jeff

Nov 2, 2000
    Just for the record, I was never bashing CGI and agree with what you guys are saying, but I do prefer the more "realistic" look of the OT. (ie the forest on Endor in ROTJ)

Now that you are more specific using the forest of Endor in ROTJ as an example, I now see where you are coming from. You do raise a valid point on this aspect of CGI. I doubt that if GL tried to do CGI forest, that it would look as good as the real thing.

BTW, a forest planet in Episode III would be great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.