main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why tonyf should be reinstated as an Admin.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by LostOnHoth, Jul 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    And it probably stay like that.

2. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    I think that Tony's accomplishments over his time here at the JC more then make up for a couple of small indiscrestions. I mean for God's sake, he single handedly cleaned up the epII/III(SA) forum when it was at it worst period. So he got drunk and posted while drunk. Nothing in the thread blantantly broke the rules, existent or not.

And the fact that none of the other mods were consulted about this in my mind is almost un-excusable. Just by reading this thread, you can see that its something that should have been done. If the mods are supposed to be a team, then decisions like this should be made with the input of everybody, not just at the whim of some higher up.

3. AlienAcid

Nov 27, 2000
    Its not though.. were told that all the time...

Basicaly one big guy..

whatever admin is banning you.
    the rest stay out of it.

4. Azeem

Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 12, 1999
    Very simple folks.

Posting how fun it is to be drunk. While not specifically against the rules, it is very poor judgement, especially for a moderator who has the power to ban and edit other people's posts.

He also had posts of sexual references which is against the rules and everyone knows this.

This was not a first time incident. Although I did not make the call to demod him permanently, I agree with it.

There is no disagreement with the Administrators because only darthcleo and I are Admins.

5. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Helmet, I said the exact same thing [tonyf's single handledly cleaning up the spoiler forum] in the Admin forum.

It seems there's been a recent push to "streamline" inactive Mods without any discussion with current Mods. Also, there seems to be no taking into account of any previous work or time given to the JC in the past. I mean, what incentive do Mods have in giving their time and dedication to moderating the forums if in the future, should real life take precedence, our position will be under jeopardy?

In anycase, there's discussion concerning this in the Admin forum and I think it's already pretty clear what the majority of our feelings are.

6. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    The majority of feeling being that of the Mods... not the Admins.

7. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    Didn't darthcleo step down? What is she, a silent partner now...?

8. AlienAcid

Nov 27, 2000
    she is out of contact pretty much, moving and stuff.

Coolies for her though =)

So who did it? or will we never know.

9. Senator Dzrekpo Amegnran

Senator Dzrekpo Amegnran Jedi Master star 3

Oct 6, 1999
    Posting how fun it is to be drunk. While not specifically against the rules, it is very poor judgement, especially for a moderator who has the power to ban and edit other people's posts.

Why is it poor judgement to post about how fun it is to be drunk? There are hundreds of incidences of poorer judgement every day, including instances from moderators. What does posting about how fun it is to be drunk have to do with tonyf's ability to ban and edit? The short answer: nothing. He's proven time and again how effective a moderator he is. It seems that he's being made a scapegoat for unwritten rules. How foolish.

By the way, it is fun to be drunk. Try it sometime, it has a tendency to lighten you up. (Or is that light you up?)

He also had posts of sexual references which is against the rules and everyone knows this.

Where are the rules posted? Is the only instance of them on the page when a user signs up? If so, maybe they should be posted elsewhere. It's unfair to assume that we all know all the rules. After all, assuming makes an ASS out of U and Azeem.

This was not a first time incident. Although I did not make the call to demod him permanently, I agree with it.

Who did it then? You know this cloak and dagger stuff just doesn't cut it around here.

There is no disagreement with the Administrators because only darthcleo and I are Admins.

Witness the power of this fully-operational Administrator.

Sheesh.

10. Darth Vaernexx the Scion

Darth Vaernexx the Scion Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 22, 1999
    The Admins have their politics, and I have mine. Signatures are such a wonderful feature.

11. drunkdude

drunkdude Jedi Youngling

Jul 9, 2001
    i fer one find nuthin' wrong with <hic> posting drunk.

12. CloudClimber

CloudClimber Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 1999
    I posted this in the other tonyf thread. I think it belongs in this one as well.

The downward spiral this board is, and has been experiencing is so large and so gradual that those inside will never fully understand its consequences. Isolated glaring examples as this amazing abuse of power and censorship will serve as a reminder to those who are aware of the existing problems and a rallypoint for the disillusioned masses who believe their own status or possibly even their oneday adminship hangs in the balance of going with the crowd and kissing ass.

I've seen trolls with the sole purpose of wreaking havoc accros the boards handled with more subtlety than this minor disturbance. Inflammatory posts were either edited or deleted, sometimes a temp spank would be handed out. What tonyf did was not deserving of a permanent demote. Much lesser, yet serious, actions by the powers-that-be would have been a sufficient reminder of how to act like an "admin".

It is disappointing that it has come to this. It is disappointing that the masses will go on sinking further downward as the JC continues it's degradation without knowing fully what is happening or the consequences that will result. Those that make this board what it is will see and react. They will react by leaving. It has been happening and will continue to do so. This place has never been "Golden" but it once was so much more than this. Before the bashers/gushers, before the slackers/refugees, and before this. They will be replaced by newer quality members who will eventually discover this as well. What does that leave?

In the end I suppose none of this really matters. The next few years are the prime years of this board. But with the release of III membership will dwindle. It is unfortunate that an experience of bringing other fans across the world together for only a few years would be restricted to those who must be acceptably PC.

I do not hold the admins responsible. I feel that they are merely doing their job. A job that pays nothing, earns disrespect from others, and disallows the individual to be the normal member they once were. No, it's not the admins. They're doing the best they can to hold back the few leaks that are popping out of this crumbling dam. I believe the steps that we have taken have been taken as a whole community, all of the boards together.

It is regrettable that it has come to this. I wish you all luck in the future.

-CloudClimber

13. Azeem

Apr 12, 1999
    How clever of you.

Administrative decisions are not for public release. Tony and the moderators all know who made the decision.

14. Senator Dzrekpo Amegnran

Oct 6, 1999
    Administrative decisions are not for public release. Tony and the moderators all know who made the decision.

While I understand this as a general policy, I think that, considering the public response to this particular issue, there should be some disclosure.

We may not all be administrators or moderators, but, as contributors to this board, we are stakeholders. You can't expect us to abide by the rules if we don't know the actions which govern them.

15. AlienAcid

Nov 27, 2000
    No kidding.... so do the admins have a special set of rules we cant see hidden away?

16. Darth Vaernexx the Scion

Darth Vaernexx the Scion Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 22, 1999
    Administrative actions should be documented, citing the reason, the exact quotation of the violation in question, and a list of a majority showing of administrators who feel that the action was just.

This isn't a fascist government, after all. You can't grasp for reasons when there is nothing to back up your own personal belief. You have the priveledge of not liking anything, but you don't have the right to misuse your authority to intimidate, threaten, mislead, or reorganize as you and you alone see right.

Now post documentation or retract the punishment. Those you claim to govern await your response.

His Own,

The Devil's Advocate

17. Azeem

Apr 12, 1999
    The TFN Staff make all the final decisions when it comes to the site. The staff includes myself, darthcleo, Josh Griffin, Scott Chitwood, and several others.

We can be reached at starwars@theforce.net

18. drunkdude

drunkdude Jedi Youngling

Jul 9, 2001
    <hic> i bet my stoopid brother kyle had something to do with this. hes always trying to beat <hic> beat <hic> to be better than everybudy

19. Senator Dzrekpo Amegnran

Oct 6, 1999
    We can be reached at starwars@theforce.net

We will not write to you to gain individual explanations of what happened. This is a divide-and-conquer tactic, allowing for tailoring of messages, disinformation, and secrecy. This situation is not anonymous, therefore correspondence regarding it should not be.

We demand two things:

1. A clear, concise yet comprehensive explanation of why tonyf was demoted, and why this punishment was arrived at instead of another type of punishment.

2. A page with a list of rules that govern this board. Enough with the "unwritten" rules and questionable judgement calls; let's have everything spelled out.

Until you respond in a thoughtful and complete manner, this issue will not go away, and neither will we.

20. juwannajedi

juwannajedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2000
    Here! Here!

//settles down with popcorn bowl and a bee., um,... beverage...

21. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    Sounds like we have one power mad admin (since cleo is gone) and a whole lot of people who don't like his fascist style of adminning.

If the team is failing, fire the coach.

Sorry, Azzy, but this little world is crumbling, and I'd say the responsibility (and blame) falls on your shoulders. Over adminning, absurd and unrealistic rules and inconsistent enforcement of rules probably isn't the best way of keeping the place running smoothly.

OW geabs a Kimballade and sits on his E-Z-Sith recliner and waits to see what happens next.

22. juwannajedi

juwannajedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2000
    *my eyes*

23. AlienAcid

Nov 27, 2000
    I think if everyone in this thread was drunk it would be a much happier place.

24. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    I think it's clear to everyone that there was no grounds to ban tonyf other than the administrators are in charge and they can do whatever they want. Well at least we all know where we stand on the food chain, don't we?

25. Sith Vicious

Sith Vicious Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 1999

Yup...we're plankton.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.