main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why tonyf should be reinstated as an Admin.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by LostOnHoth, Jul 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    //sits and passes DE some Barq's ROOT beer in a glass bottle

2. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    "Highly suspect actions require highly vigilant civilians."

"Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?" (Who watches the Watchmen?)

The situation surrounding the demoting of tonyf has created a definate, unchanging rift in the power structure of the Administration.

Actions should be taken.

3. No blasters!

No blasters! Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 14, 2000
    All the administration has to do is simply ignore this thread and all appeals in it.

It'll be quite easy, really.

4. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    Yup they can do anything they want.

Hell they could ban anyone who posted in this thread and no one could stop them.

5. Force of Nature

Force of Nature Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 12, 1999
    True, AA, but you may remember what happened last time ...

6. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    what's that, FON?

Revolt? All of the good posters leave to EZ Land and the JC spirals into a cesspool of worthless, immature but puritanically correct spam?

Oh wait, that's what they want, isn't it?

7. Senator Dzrekpo Amegnran

Senator Dzrekpo Amegnran Jedi Master star 3

Oct 6, 1999
    There are two issues at play here, really:

1. Should moderators, who regulate and perform "quality control" on these boards, be involved in issues which decide the rules, regulations, and direction of said boards? Or should they just be mindless automatons who follow largely unwritten rules and govern according to highly arbitrary, circumstancial, and questionable rules handed down to them by individuals who are largely disconnected from the proceedings on these boards? I think that the answer is fairly simple: as moderators who are acquainted with the daily proceedings of the boards (actual discussion and user administration), they should be involved in decisions which affect the boards. To take them out of the equation is unfair and unjust. It effectively relegates them to a thankless and mechanical role.

This isn't acceptable. The moderators must be given an equal voice in all board proceedings which affect other moderators, content, or user administration.

2. As the true stakeholders in this board, and as the very reason that the boards exist, the TF.n membership should be apprised of rule changes and actions which affect the spirit of these boards and their administration. Users are responsible for visits and page views, which determine ad revenue, which is what keeps these boards running. As such, users have a stake in this site. Our patronage of TF.n entitle us to a large degree of disclosure. And, as I said before, we can't be expected to follow the rules if we're not aware of the actions which create and govern those rules.

We deserve more.

8. Norman

Norman Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 3, 1999
    While I disagree with the decision and think it was handled with about as much tact as a pistol-whipping, I must say it's enjoyable in a mean-spirited kind of way to watch the admins (sorry, mods) get all worked up and post indignantly in the kind of ineffectual fervor they tell regular members to "deal with" and "get over."

9. AlienAcid

Nov 27, 2000
    Ya slackergate, and actualy if you have seen those posts there you notice they are intellegent.. like the book thread =)

EDIT: Ya we get told to move on if we try to help a normal.

10. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    I find this chain of events disturbing.

11. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    I was just thinking the same thing, Norman. Although fortunately with the mods, not all of us take that approach.

Vertical

12. Lord Bane

May 26, 1999
    "We deserve more."

We deserve ***t. Without this place, you'd all have to do something else with your lives. We may frequent the forums, but they belong to the mods and admins and managers and other grnad poobahs who let us have fun here.

They do it for free too! We don't have to pay a dime for the services here!

But I think an independant counsel should look into admin/mod abuses of power and what better time to start this than now. While we are owed nothing by them, they should at least try to operate on the same playing field as we norms do.

13. tenorjedi

Aug 17, 2000
    addendum DE:
    And be prepared to not be able to enjoy the fruits of your labor too.

14. Darth Scooby

Darth Scooby Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 1999
    Looks to me like a good ol' fashioned mod mutiny!!

anyone got any gummi bears?

15. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    Anyone want to make a bet on how many threads currently open in the JCC have "sexual references" in them?

16. AlienAcid

Nov 27, 2000
    first how many threads are in the JCC

and ones that dont have sexual refrences will have drugs/alcohol, or flaming.

17. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    I don't agree with tonyf's banning, but Lord Bane is absolutely right. These are not our forums, and the people who own it and those the owners choose to manage it can do as they please. It would be nice if they would reconsider and allow the mods some say in the issue, but that would be more of a courtesy to us, not their obligation.

18. tenorjedi

Aug 17, 2000
    ska- I think everyone understands that, but the point is that this was so arbitrary and their reasoning behind the decision was not written anywhere, so it makes one take pause (especially mods) and consider exactly what they mean to those that run the boards, and if the time they volunteer here is worth it. I know I would.

It raises many questions.

I don't presume to speak for anyone else but this is my take

19. DarthNivuahc

DarthNivuahc Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2001
    okay... I read the thread and I didn't find any sexual references that were any worse than:

Padme Bra

but, that's okay I guess.

I also noticed that tonyf has the word Admin under his name and his colors are back.

What's up with that?

Has the situation been reversed?

20. Darth_Dolza

Darth_Dolza Jedi Master star 5

Sep 19, 2000
    Nope, Niv. Just checked his profile and he's still a normal user. He still has his admin icon, though.

21. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Quote:
    "I must say it's enjoyable in a mean-spirited kind of way to watch the admins (sorry, mods) get all worked up and post indignantly in the kind of ineffectual fervor they tell regular members to "deal with" and "get over."

That's a bit of a blanket statement and one that doesn't apply to most of the admins who are in this debate. I've made decisions that had to be final but I've never once told anyone to "deal with it" or "get over it" without even a thought to the opinions of the members.

I realize the irony in mods having grievances about not being listened to but it's not applicable to mods like myself, Vertical and the others who have contributed to this thread. I don't think that any of us have handled our issues in a manner comparable to the way this was handled. In fact, we go out of our way not to.

22. Lord Bane

May 26, 1999
    I'm not saying mutinity, I'm saying checks and balances. Look into the real number of people here who are pre-teen.

I bet the majority is suited to PG-13 behavior and language, innuendos and the like. I bet almost all of the posters (that aren't lying socks) are 14+ yrs old.

We also need to look at the reasons for bannings, threads being closed while obvious sources for trouble, inappropriate threads, or off topic threads remain simply due to mod favoritism.

And in rereading tonyf's last hurrah, I posted worse. There have been whole threads dedicated to what is the best beer or alcoholic beverage. Political debate threads are closed because someone mentions SEX or DRUGS or some other 'taboo' topic.

On further analysis (real indepth here...), despite his being a mod and all, tonyf was simply taking a night and acting like a normal poster. He was slumming, in the parlance of our times. Now he is punished too harshly even if (or though) he did this before.

No one is an island of responsability and authority. No one can act perfect all the time. I think the mods are a perfect example of this. There is definately a lack of perfection, though it is often tried at or alluded to by holier-than-thou characters.

No one is perfect. We all have little indescrations we'd rather forget, but sh** happens. So I say to the mods and admins, suck it up and restore your brother.

23. LookSirDroids

LookSirDroids Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2001
    Since a lot of people are defending tonyf/dexsterfinster on posting whilst smacked and have since stated that post while smacked themselves, is it okay to post while under the influence of marijuana?

24. LookSirDroids

LookSirDroids Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2001
    ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

ooh, 100th post...

:p :p :p :p :p

e: language

25. Lord Bane

May 26, 1999
    Well, that isn't the debate. The debate is over the language and wording tonyf used.

Not what substance you can post while under the influence of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.