main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why tonyf should be reinstated as an Admin.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by LostOnHoth, Jul 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IronParrot

IronParrot Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 2, 1999
    I think at most this should have been a temporary suspension of mod powers.

If we cracked down on regular members as far as we cracked down on tonyf here, there would literally be no JC Community.

Besides that, I have nothing to say for the time being that hasn't already been said by one of the other mods... as for administrative issues being private and undisclosed, we all know where that leads to.

2. Santee Ordrin

Santee Ordrin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 9, 1998
    And it seems to me to be a rather one sided point of view.

Now are we going to go full tilt towards the PC and Christian position? This smacks of a rather "strict" attitude, totally at odds with previous administrative tenures...

3. Senator Dzrekpo Amegnran

Senator Dzrekpo Amegnran Jedi Master star 3

Oct 6, 1999
    We deserve ***t. Without this place, you'd all have to do something else with your lives. We may frequent the forums, but they belong to the mods and admins and managers and other grnad poobahs who let us have fun here.

They do it for free too! We don't have to pay a dime for the services here!

I thoroughly disagree. These boards do belong to us. We use them; we define them through our posts and personalities. What do you remember most about the time you spend here? The technical wizardry? No! You remember the posters you get to know, you remember the debates, you remember the camaraderie and the conversation that goes on here.

You've probably even cracked a smile or two in real life when thinking about some of the funny things that have been said here.

We frequent these boards, and infuse them with our time, energy, speculation and thoughts and, therefore, they belong to us to a large degree. Posters have defined this corner of TF.n, thus they are stakeholders in it.

As I said before, we're directly responsible for keeping the site running through clicking back and forth as we look for interesting topics. Clicks produce ad revenue, which keeps this place going.

We are stakeholders, financially and creatively.

The moderators are stakeholders in these ways as well, but also administratively. They keep this place together. To add to this usually thankless volunteer job, are we to expect that the powers-that-be will also keep them out of the loop on certain discussions and decisions that will affect not only them, but all stakeholders?

Why should we?

If the TF.n administrators and non-moderating staff aren't willing to share the reasons for administrative decisions with us, as stakeholders, perhaps they should relegate this to a board just for them.

In refusing to discuss an issue with us, they are, effectively, saying that our presence here isn't really that important. They could take us or leave us. Is that the message that's being sent?

I have fond memories of this place. I met many friends here, friends who I talk to every day at The Refuge. I'd be sad to see TF.n go. However, if administrative proceedings are carried out in a cloak-and-dagger manner and not shared with the stakeholders, then this place is already gone.

4. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Quiet Senator, you hurt my ears.

We may post here and appear to define it, but we are merely filling out the plan set down by the Administration (old school; newbie admins gets nothing! haha) and the TFN founders.

And we are not stakeholders, we are standard wavers, or solicitors, or something related in that sense. We have no true stake in this place monetarily or physically unless you go through withdrawl. I'm sure some do. They owe us explanations, sure, but are not beholden to us in any way when it comes to making decisions.

They decide what is best for the boards, good or bad, not us and never us.

This is not a democracy; it you haven't learned that by force yet learn it now.

However, if administrative proceedings are carried out in a cloak-and-dagger manner and not shared with the stakeholders, then this place is already gone.

Now, that's a bit much. It's not cloak-and-dagger, it's just business as usual. Do you know everything your nat'l government does? Is every decision run by the people? No, nor should it be. We cannot afford to have the JC Forums to be watered down and twisted to fit posters' personal desires.

Blanket policies apply, much to my chagrin. We must cater to the college posters, but also the pre-teen posters.

But, if you feel so stongly:Questions on Authority? Take it to the Lord (-->) in post

Tell me about it in deep description.

5. LookSirDroids

LookSirDroids Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2001
    Well pm some of SlackerCounciler's with the dexsterfinster/tonyf refuge password. I hear it has adult content there. :D Besides there is always www.Aldera.net :D

6. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
  7. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    LSD, only if you post the M-B password. ;)

8. LookSirDroids

LookSirDroids Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2001
    As far as the SlackerCouncil ezboard MB forum is concerned,
    I refer you to this topic: http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=2384348

Some would say that rules maybe used to get rid of members outside of the "clique" or group.

Take the Slacker Council Ezboard for example. It used to be people were just
    name-banned. Now it's name banned together with email banned and IP banned. I'm not talking about random bannings either, as funny as some think they are.

People are being driven out by those of the sexual orientation that prefers same-gender relationships. One need only to take a look at the SC's forum names and member titles to see this.

Take uploading pictures with adult content. They are either deleted or moved to the "adult password-protected" forums. They would say the Ezboard does not permit this. Now we won't want to break Ezboard's rules would we? We being the SC self-proclaimed hell-raisers. Thing is, the young men that enjoy the "adult SC forum" are taken off the list.

So then you have freaks like darthpsychotic, who not only knows how to get around the all the names bans, email bans, and IP bans afforded to him, knows how to get passwords to Playboy CyberClub for free. darthpsychotic then spams the Slacker Council Ezboard with Playboy CyberClub photos and even posts a few "free" passwords.

What happens? The SC moves the photos and the passwords to the "adult forum" to which alot of SC'ers don't even have access too.

I guess what I'm trying to say is remember that South Park spoof where there is a alternative universe good Cartman to South Park's evil Cartman? They, like the SC and JC, are alternate universe twins.

The SC and the JC, we are the SuperFriends.

9. Jedi Master RussDog

Jedi Master RussDog Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 26, 1998
    Super Best Friends.

10. Darth Dane

Darth Dane Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2000
    What thread did he get banned from?

Just so I would be in the loop?

11. jediguy

jediguy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2000
    I go away for the weekend at TonyF gets banned!

*sigh*

12. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    1st thing: tonyf, I think we all want you back as an admin.

Quoted by Darth Eric:
    //Note to self: when VOLUNTEERING to help with something, be prepared to be treated like total crap, and told you have no say in anything, and that your opinion doesn't count OR matter.

Strange, huh, it actually makes sense?

I haven't seen SDA so worked up for a long time. This is important. And it's far from over.

And tonyf, I don't think it's so much that you were demoted, but the why that we're concerned about.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. Lord Bane

May 26, 1999
    If any of *you* care about it, it should be because the powers that be are ignoring the input of the moderators regarding what rules should be put in place and enforced. On a board that allows users ages 13 and up, they are trying to make it so strict that not only is it not PG-13 level, not even PG level, but G-rated content only. As I said, the rules *I* was used to enforcing were hard enough, but this is just begging for both members and mods to leave.

And thus, the great rating war begins. I for one believe in a PG-13 JC, as it is the reasonable thing to do, considering the super majority of 13 and overs here.

14. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    Heck, I got a 48 hour IP ban for quoting The Simpsons. How screwed up is that?

15. Lord Bane

May 26, 1999
  16. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Did what Tony do dewserve demotion? No. In my time here there has only been one permemnant demotion. Paul. He hacked the board demoted admins, promoted slackers and caused a hell load of crap for an entire morning. That is an action that requires demotion. What Tony did was nothing compared to that. In his time here, he has done more to help these forums then many of the other admins, as I said and has been repeated, without him, EPII/III(SA) would have imploded long ago. We have Tony to thank for there still being a forum there. This action against shows no respect for him, and the attitude of the Adminstrators since then shows no respect for the membership and moderators of the forum.

If the administration doesn't respect us then why the hell should we post here? Why should we take time out of our day to come here, we should we post? With all of the rules changes there has always been a lot fo debate about them, the alcohol policy, the religion policy, the language policy. Through all of those, I always felt at least that while i didn't always agree, I repsected the Admins and Mods in what they were doing, and I felt that they respected us in turn. There read what we had to say, and tried to explain things to us in the best way we could. I don't feel that right now.

So tell me, if this is the attitude that the people who own and run this board are going to take towards us, why should I come here?

17. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    "So tell me, if this is the attitude that the people who own and run this board are
    going to take towards us, why should I come here? "

because we love you darky.

as for my 2c on this matter. i dont know if tony deserved the demotion or not. punishment is not my business.

what bothers me is the judge jury executioner style of enforcement. rules should be set and observed according to the moral standards of those in the entire community. perhaps the mods and managers should have been consulted, and maybe even some sort of poll or something, so we could see what the normal posters think.

laws in society develop according to the practises acceptable by the society as a whole. they are enforced by people that are appointed to the position.

it seems in this case that the rules were specially made up, and enforced, by people who have removed themselves from the populus. and these rules were enforced in secret, with attention drawn to them only when there was a backlash.

never the right way to do things.

18. Jedi Kylenn

Jedi Kylenn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 1999
    :_| :_|

darthcleo!! Come back now - PLEASE!!

:_| :_|

19. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 27, 2000
    I love it when ther senator goes off like that. I just love it. :)

I think this topic now contains something more than tonyf being demoted.

There is a much more serious subject at the core of this debate now IMO.

20. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Without us, the members and the moderators, this place is just a banner on the top of the screen.

It's that simple and it's something the managers of this place have to wake up to.

21. jediguy

jediguy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2000
    While it is true that the board is owned by the TFN staff and is theirs to do with what they wish - WE COMPRISE THE BOARD.

Without us the board is just a bunch of script. It's our combined characters that make the JC. Having an aloof and facist 'dictatorlike' ruling elite serves nothing except to turn us, the body of the JC, away.

The continued stance that we have no say in events like this and no business in it is terrible.

IMO...

22. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    nice thread Lost....

if i may make an observation i believe daily posting numbers seem to be on the rise again, over 6000 a day usually....up from over 5000.......seems that this place is getting popular again.....is this due to our current administration or are we just a bunch of slavish dogs always begging for that next boot in the teeth?

cos lets face it, the PG 13 battle was lost months ago....when that whole swedish babysitting service thing occured...the man, josh said he wanted this place low key, and so its going to be that way, at least till i find pics of his raunchy tattoos to post online anyway..the best thing we can do is just not talk about it and hope the lazy old default position set in, where administration and modding becomes lax and more tolerant, unfoutunately what with PMs and this very forum, Communications we have established a collaborator/telling to teacher type of society...someone is always going to be complaining, and so its always going to be an issue

23. No blasters!

No blasters! Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 14, 2000
    How many times do we have to hear from them that we're crap and if we don't like it we should leave?

Well?

//goes off to check out other sites

24. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 27, 2000
    You're pushing it. ;)

I really hate "don't like it, leave" I always have.

25. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    I know we can say damn..

cleo made that clear to me and bib..

then the damn posts followed...

damn spam...

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.