main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why was a balance of the Force needed?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by jedijake719, Apr 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedijake719

jedijake719 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 14, 2005
    I have wondered that. The galaxy was at relative peace and the Jedi were not threatened. The conflict with the Trade Federation had nothing to do with the Force.

When Qui Gonn said he encountered the Sith, it was noted that the SIth had been extinct for many many years. So, why was it so essential to have a balance of the Force if there wasn't also a prophecy that suggested the Sith would return as well?

2. kann

kann Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2005
    It came to me recently that this "balance" everyone in the Council was talking about is actually Anakin bringing the good and the dark side of the Force to one entire entity that was himself. He was powerful enough to be both a Jedi and a Sith.

Kind of simplistic but it was just a short thought that struck me when I was watching that deleted scene where Mace Windu walks with Obi-Wan to his landing pad in AOTC.

3. Saberwielder315

Saberwielder315 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Also the balance I think they are talking about is The Unifying Force. Except Luke nor Anakin brought that balance. If ur into the EU, in the NJO books it is revelaed that there is no Dark Side or Light Side, just abuses of the powers of the Force. The person who brings this Balance is Jacen Solo.

4. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    When Qui Gonn said he encountered the Sith, it was noted that the SIth had been extinct for many many years. So, why was it so essential to have a balance of the Force if there wasn't also a prophecy that suggested the Sith would return as well?

Who says a prophecy can't be a warning? Just because Lucas defined what balance meant doesn't necessarily preclude that the characters understood. Nobody knew exactly what "Balance of the Force" actually meant. For all they know, the coming of the Sith was simply an event that just happened to coincide with Anakin's birth. Sideous was an uber-powerful Sith. He was throwing everything into chaos. The dark side is like the cancer of the Force, complete opposite of what it's meant to be used for. It's also been mused over whether there was enough corruption amidst the Jedi as well to warrant them being wiped out, and given some of the events in ROTS, I can see where that can be supported.

5. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Trade Federation and other big entities running around amok, dozens of star systems threatening to secede...lots of instability going on that could use a bit of balancing.

6. neo-dragon

neo-dragon Jedi Master star 3

Apr 15, 2004
    If ur into the EU, in the NJO books it is revelaed that there is no Dark Side or Light Side, just abuses of the powers of the Force

Well that was Vergere's interpretation at least. I wouldn't call it definitive.

7. Minela

Minela Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2005
    I think the lack of balance was about the Dark Side always being there lurking and waiting to attack, therefore there was no real balance in TPM. The Jedi felt that, they were always on the edge of their seats, feeling there is something wrong but couldn't pinpoint what it was exactly. Anakin was supposed to make everything clear. I think. Thoughts?

8. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    Balance of the Force, is basically the balance of opposite forces in nature - like good and evil, male and female, etc. When the opposite forces are equally present, all is calm and natural. When one side is outweighed by the other (as the Jedi had outweighed the Sith for years; and vice versa during the Emperor's reign), there is confusion and disarray.

9. gothman

gothman Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 20, 2002
    Think Yin and Yang.

10. JediTigress

JediTigress Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2005
    It was a prophesy. Whoever made it knew that the Force would be put out of balance (the annihilation of all but a few of the Jedi) and that the "chosen one" would bring the Force back into balance (Vader turning on the Emperor in ROTJ).

Just my thoughts.

11. DARTHKENOKI

DARTHKENOKI Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    It was needed because the Jedi were becoming arrogant and they were losing the ablity to use the Force. That is why it was so easy for Palpatine to hide and the Jedi did not know about the clone army or his plans to destroy them.

12. SithLord-Will

SithLord-Will Jedi Master star 3

Mar 2, 2002
    Also the balance I think they are talking about is The Unifying Force. Except Luke nor Anakin brought that balance. If ur into the EU, in the NJO books it is revelaed that there is no Dark Side or Light Side, just abuses of the powers of the Force. The person who brings this Balance is Jacen Solo.

And thus is why EU is not Cannon. Anakin is the chosen one, he brings balance. End of story. ;)

There are two ways to look at the Prophesy. A. the Jedi way, The Chosen one will destroy once and for all the dark side, and peace will spread through Galaxy blah, blah, blah.
    B. Literal, the chosen one will balance the force by leaving an two sides, and equal distribuation of light and dark, one sith for every Jedi.

Now both of these were done, but I believe Lucas has already said that the prophesy was complete by Anakin when he threw the Emporer over the balcony.

Yes, and the prophesy did probably signify that unbalance would come, which is probably why the council was so unwilling to accept the fact that Anakin was the Chosen One.

13. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I think that the Prophecy needed the Sith to be drawn out into the open so they could be destroyed once and for all and so Balance could truly be brought though I have a very pro-Jedi view of the Saga.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.