main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why was Anakin crying on Mustafar?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by thechozn1, Jun 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darthette

Darthette Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 2003
    With due respect, starwarsagent, if what George said is true, then Anakin didn't become totally evil and ruthless. There was still good in him. Just look at Sidious. He starts showing his evil self and killing right and left, and he's all smiles, loving the act of being evil and murderous. Maul looked like he was enjoying it, too, didn't he? But not Anakin. And Padme said there was still good in him, the good that Luke saw, the good that eventually came to the surface again in the end.

Fear, anger, hate....it had led Anakin to the suffering, just like Yoda had said would happen. Anakin had begun to suffer, and it was only going to get worse as the anger and hate grew worse. Tears are an emotional release, be it happiness, fear, frustration, sorrow, or pain.

And yes, if a killer's heart changes, even he is deserving of redemption. That's when redemption proves what it's all about. It shows that something exists that's way beyond our puny human powers of perception, something that won't turn it's back on us the way we seem to always to do each other.

2. Naberrie_SkyWalker

Naberrie_SkyWalker Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 30, 2002
    starwarsagent posted on 6/19/05 1:37am
    I think people are looking too much into this. Anakin became totally evil and ruthless. he had no feelings left. personally, and I know this might sound funny, but he could have been crying because of the hot gases on the air coming from the lava flow. sometimes the hot gas makes the eyes watery.

EDIT. mass murderes, killers and people in prision cry too. does it mean they are good and deserve redemption?
    [hr][/blockquote]

if you see the character like that you are missing a wonderful tragic story.

3. Dukhat

Dukhat Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 3, 2004
    Lucas it seems, quite obviously, wanted to show that Anakin still had some good in him even after turning over. The tear scene sets up supicions of it, and then Padme's "I can still feel the good and him" reinforces that. The same way Luke does at the end of ROTJ, and Luke ends up being right so we know its true. At the heart of Anakin is the desire to save his loved ones. With Padme dead, his Jedi friends dead, and Obi Wan his enemy, he has noone left that he cares about and is all alone; thus his good side can not reveal itself. When Luke comes back it gives him and his good side the opportunity to finally set things right.

4. starwarsagent

starwarsagent Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    I know what you guys are saying. and I understand the point lucas was trying to put out. basically saying that he was a nice kid, a very good jedi and a good person, once. and that because of things that he could not control he became evil and a murderer. but thats no excuse, he should be seen as a hero.

Well, thats in the movies. in real life would you feel sorry for someone who kills more than 100 people? a mass murderer? he could have been an angel as a child, he could have been a priest, or the president.

does it give them the right to kill people? just because you are sad for a loved one? its like drunk driving, is it the person who is driving drunk that we should all feel sorry for? or the people that he kills.

Lucas was just trying to make darth vader a nice guy, But I always knew he was pure evil, and I dont care if he repented in ROTJ, If i was luke I would have cut his head off, you cant forgive someone like that. not even in the movies.

SWA

5. Darthette

Darthette Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 2003
    Well, thats in the movies. in real life would you feel sorry for someone who kills more than 100 people? a mass murderer? he could have been an angel as a child, he could have been a priest, or the president.

does it give them the right to kill people? just because you are sad for a loved one? its like drunk driving, is it the person who is driving drunk that we should all feel sorry for? or the people that he kills.

I don't think anything anyone has said, including myself, has implied that at all. To me, killing is killing, whether it be a single act of rage or something done in the name of patriotism. In my eyes, it's all wrong, but I accept the fact that it's often done for love. It's all tragic.

If I ever feel any sorrow over Anakin, it's because of his failure, sorrow over the fact that he never became what he should have been except for a brief moment at the end.

I just don't think that it's up to humans to decide who is deserving of redemption or not. There's just not enough good inside us to be able to do that. Apparently, there was something still inside Anakin worth saving.

6. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    =D=

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    You can feel sorry for the criminals in real life, if they honestly change for the better while on the inside. Those like Charles Manson can never garner sympathy, because he never shows any. If someone got high and killed someone, but showed regret for it later, then it is possible to feel sorry because they let themselves become like that. And now they're paying for their mistakes.

8. Naberrie_SkyWalker

Naberrie_SkyWalker Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 30, 2002
    Darthette posted on 6/19/05 5:52am
    [i]Well, thats in the movies. in real life would you feel sorry for someone who kills more than 100 people? a mass murderer? he could have been an angel as a child, he could have been a priest, or the president.

does it give them the right to kill people? just because you are sad for a loved one? its like drunk driving, is it the person who is driving drunk that we should all feel sorry for? or the people that he kills. [/i]

I don't think anything anyone has said, including myself, has implied that at all. To me, killing is killing, whether it be a single act of rage or something done in the name of patriotism. In my eyes, it's all wrong, but I accept the fact that it's often done for love. It's all tragic.

If I ever feel any sorrow over Anakin, it's because of his failure, sorrow over the fact that he never became what he should have been except for a brief moment at the end.

I just don't think that it's up to humans to decide who is deserving of redemption or not. There's just not enough good inside us to be able to do that. Apparently, there was something still inside Anakin worth saving.

[hr][/blockquote]

well said!! :D

9. thechozn1

thechozn1 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2005
    The next poster that says "because lava shot into his eye" should get the dookoo treatment.
    consider that a flame[face_devil]

10. emperorpalpatine102

emperorpalpatine102 Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2005
    Content removed.

11. Dark_Plagueis

Dark_Plagueis Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2005
    because there is still good in him.

remember what Yoda said in the empire strikes back when Luke asks him...

"How can I see the bad from the good,..." - or something like that.

the scene on Mustafar were anakin cries, is because he realizes the bad from the good, when he calms down. he's a mess inside himself, and he's thinking about it.

12. Obilieveinme

Obilieveinme Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    He knew he was wrong...but wanted to save Padme. That is why he wanted nothing to do with Obi-Wan.

13. King_Stannis

King_Stannis Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2005
    Sort of tangental, but was I the only one who felt a little sorry for Nute Gunray? Yeah, the guy is a dope who wanted Padme dead. Still, it must have been horrifying to see your fellow separatists cut down like ribbon. You could hear the desperation, fear and shock in his voice right before Anakin tore through him.

14. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Yeah, I felt sorry for him too. I think that's because I'm just a nice guy and I would feel sorry for anyone, no matter how mean or evil they are/were.

Because he was sad. At first he didn't want to do the things that he did ... but he had too. He had to find the power to save Padmé.

15. Obilieveinme

Obilieveinme Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    you see his anguished face and yell when he's killing them. He isn't enjoying himself.

16. thechozn1

May 15, 2005
    I finally saw his anguish during the slayings during this last (5th) viewing. It's very evident he's just doing this to get stronger in the dark side. Not for personal enjoyment. And could you please take your pity on the worthless nute gunray to the "say you're Nute Gunray" thread

17. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    That's right.

He actually hates the Separatists. Not because of who they are, but because he sees them as being in his way from saving Padmé. They are just something to get rid of so he can be closer to save Padmé. That's why he gets the red eyes.

18. Sith-Man

Sith-Man Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 19, 2004

hahaha, that's good

no he could have been crying for four reasons.... one, he knew that this was the last star wars movie to be made, two, he didn't have any shoes on and he was on a metal platform over lava, three the some little boy stole his teddy bear during nap time, and four........ well... it was in the script.........

19. XenoSkywalker

XenoSkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    Anaking was starving...

...sorry... wrong topic... that was supposed to go into the "Food In Episode III" thread :p [face_laugh]

20. km12

km12 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2005
    I don't see why Anakin would have any remorse for killing the Separatists. After all, he knew they'd been trying to kill Padme and they did have that little run-in on Geonosis! I think he was crying for the loss of Anakin. He knew that part of himself was dead and gone. He was Vader now, forever.

21. Annina

Annina Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2005
    Actually the only thing that bothers me in the RotS book(which I love!)is the separatist slaughter scene and some other parts in the end.Anakin is just not there in the book,it's all Vader and he feels nothing but sick,twisted joy killing them.This completely goes against what we see in the movie where he feels anguish and pain doing it.He certainly doesn't look like he's enjoying it!And later even cries when he's done the work...It's just not there at all in the book.He feels no remorse until he hears Padme is dead,and I don't think that's right.He doesn't like to kill,he doesn't enjoy it,he's not being sadistic while doing it...He's just following orders because he thinks it will help Padme :( That's why the end part of the book doesn't really work for me as well as the movie does.The conflict should be there ALL the time after he turns not just at the very end.

22. thechozn1

May 15, 2005
    The book isn't canon though. The book could not really show his private torment in a subtle manner the way the movie did. It did a couple of things like when Anakin asked for OB1's help after the duel but that was about all it could do IMO

23. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003

"Canon refers to an authoritative list of books that the Lucas Licensing editors consider an authentic part of the official Star Wars history. Our goal is to present a continuous and unified history of the Star Wars galaxy, insofar as that history does not conflict with, or undermine the meaning of Mr. Lucas's Star Wars saga of films and screenplays. Things that Lucas Licensing does not consider official parts of the continuous Star Wars history show an Infinities logo or are contained in Star Wars Tales. Everything else is considered canon.

The analogy is that every piece of published Star Wars fiction is a window into the 'real' Star Wars universe. Some windows are a bit foggier than others. Some are decidedly abstract. But each contains a nugget of truth to them.

Which brings us to the often-asked question: Just what is Star Wars canon, and what is not? The one sure answer: The Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition -- the three films themselves as executive-produced, and in the case of Star Wars written and directed, by George Lucas, are canon. Coming in a close second we have the authorised adaptations of the three films: the novels, radio dramas, and comics."

--Steve Sansweet, Preface to the "Star Wars Encyclopedia"

24. thechozn1

May 15, 2005
    I'll be happy if I'm wrong. Why is the visual dict. not canon then

25. Haydenslover

Haydenslover Jedi Youngling

Jun 28, 2005
    When he cryed i did too oh and i cryed when i saw him burn too

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.