main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why was Anakin crying on Mustafar?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by thechozn1, Jun 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi-soon

jedi-soon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 27, 2001
    "RolandofGilead
    Title: RotS Forum Manager

Date Posted: 6/3 8:21am Subject: RE: Why was Anikan crying on Mustufar?
    He's crying because there's still good in him. He's killing people under the mistaken belief that it's the only way to save Padme. He's hurting, but it doesn't stop him from doing it. "

to RolandofGilead you listen.

i'm not sure why this thread had gone on umpteen pages or so, but the answer seems obvious to me. padme even points it out on her deathbed: "there is still good in him." these aren't her LAST words for nothing. its just the unfortunate turn he takes in trying to accomplish what he sees as necessary in trying to save padme from her fate that causes his downfall.

anakin is very divided, IMO. he's a good person, he shouldn't be doing this. he realizes he's on the wrong path when he kills darth tyrannus, but he has made the mistake of listening to palpatine and starting down the dark path anyway. (his slaughter of the tusken raiders was probably the beginning of this fall, as hinted at in the opening scenes of ROTS.) that choice ends up dominating his destiny.

2. thechozn1

thechozn1 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2005
    I went and saw ROTS tonight and this scene probably hit me more than anything else. I guess it's because all the other big stuff is expected (the duel ect). But never since my youth did I think we would see this. I mean, Darth Vader is crying...

There is still good in him

3. thechozn1

May 15, 2005
  4. Darth_Froschler

Darth_Froschler Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 13, 2004
    No no. You guys got it all wrong. If you look closely, there is a plate of onions on top of the railing he was looking over! Am i the only one that saw this?!?!

5. CommanderSteve

CommanderSteve Jedi Youngling

Aug 2, 2005
    It's a planet of lava
    it's very hot sweat got in his eyes

6. Blu-Bladed-Jedi

Blu-Bladed-Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    no, I'm not kidding. He isn't crying in that scene. Watch it again. He has beads of sweat, and on of them is under his eyes, but they are just as noticable on the side of his face too high up to be a tear.

It]s just sweat guys. I guarantee it.

Thats not a good comment...why would the camera focus in on sweat from his face...and why would they have them coming down by his eyes if it ewas sweat and they thought it would look like tears...thats an excuse to get out of the discussion

7. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    I think it is a simple answer...Anakin is completely torn. He is right in the middle of turning evil and staying good. He just killed a room full of people, and yet he is wondering how doing THAT is helping him save Padme. He's still good at that point, he has still has feelings.

8. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003

Because even though he has become a Sith and goes by the name Vader, he's still Anakin and is still attatched to Anakin-related emotions and concerns. This scene as well as others in the film are clear indications that the sloppy theory that Vader and Anakin are two people is monumentally absurd and half thought up. He cries for the same reason he redundantly asks if Padme is "safe" as well as "alright". He cries for the same reason he is fully suited and yelling out "NNNooooooOOOOO": Because he is Anakin, and that's something Anakin would do.

That, or the little kid got off a really hard force-kick to the chin before being slaughtered and eaten.

9. JediCouncilMaster

JediCouncilMaster Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 23, 2005
    I think Anakin was crying because: He was in the middle of Conflict. He was thinking about Palpatine's teachings and Propaganda. "I should've known the Jedi would take over." He was thinking. "Why didn't i see it before?" His mentor and friend Obi Wan was now considered an enemy. How owuld you feel if your close friend/family member was now considered your enemy? I would feel conflicted and heartbroken.

10. thechozn1

May 15, 2005
    I'm just bringing this back up in case anyone missed the link in the redundant thread.

11. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Sulfur in his eyes?

:D

12. darth_mazda

darth_mazda Jedi Youngling

Aug 30, 2005
    anakin proberly had doubts about what he was doin what he had done was wrong not what he believed in and the only that kept him going was that this was all for padme what kept him breathing and what was sad was him losing her forever the pain of knowing killin her was all of his fault

13. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004

LOL! Is that canon, Neo? ;)

I hope there's a deleted cannibalism scene on the DVD.

14. Dezdmona

Dezdmona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    George Lucas? instructions to Hayden on how to play the scene with Padmé on her veranda before he leaves for Mustafar:

?Your full of adrenaline because, one, you?ve spent a whole night killing people, and, two, the situation is not good: The Jedi Council has tried to overthrow the Republic. That?s news to everybody. When you say, ?I will not betray the Republic? ? that?s you?re rationalization. So your very strong with that.?

Regarding the fallout from his killing the Jedi as he goes to kill the Separatists on Mustafar:

Lucas: ?This is Anakin?s greatest moment; he?s got all these new powers-everything is fine.

Christensen: ?Anakin?s just gone and killed his family, more or less, so I?ve done a deed that I thought would?ve weighed on me, but George sees it as an outburst of almost accidental anger that Anakin then has to suffer the repercussions of for the rest of his life. Anakin thinks he?s done the right thing in killing all the Jedi, so George wanted me to come to the scene with enthusiasm. Things are good. I?m the most powerful man in the universe and I?m going to be able to save Padmé.?

And yes, Vader IS crying after he kills the Separatists, he IS still conflicted.
    [image=http://starwars.flog.oi.com.br/fotos/1114900203844U65fwVf9VeNkmdUZDqOyfw2ZUfg9gbs0H7lWTEDQ.jpg]

He has not become totally numb ? yet. That doesn?t happen until he screams ?I HATE YOU? at Obi Wan

15. -maynard-

-maynard- Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
    looks like sweat to me :-B

16. NoCloneTheories

NoCloneTheories Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2003
    so George wanted me to come to the scene with enthusiasm. Things are good. I?m the most powerful man in the universe and I?m going to be able to save Padmé.?

"Things are good"

George wanted Anakin to be "enthusastic"? (rather than, say, bordering on crying?)

Lucas says that at this moment "everything is fine"?

....And yet he is crying?

Those quotes seem to indicate the exact opposite opposite.

17. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004

Yeah, that kind of how I look at it, except why does he ask about Padme after he's in the suit and then yell NO!!! when he finds out about Padme?

18. thechozn1

May 15, 2005
    The Jedi Council has tried to overthrow the Republic. That?s news to everybody. When you say, ?I will not betray the Republic? ? that?s you?re rationalization. So your very strong with that.?

Thanks for that excerpt. That definitely puts a different spin on things from the idea most of us hold that at this point Anakin was just completely self absorbed. He was an a$$, don't get me wrong, but he thought he was doing the right thing in his own sick way too.

And MAYNARD, c'mon man. Click on the thumbnail up there and tell me he's not crying. You're killin' me, man. Killin' me ;)

19. KennethMorgan

KennethMorgan Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2004
    It seems to me that, even in the light of "I'm the most powerful man in the Universe...", Anakin would cry at that point, because he's alone. There's no one else around for him to be strong for and put up a front. And, with no company other than his conscience, he's got to start seriously questioning if he's on the right track.
    Seeing Padme again restores his confidence; unfortunately, he's now confident that he can kill Palpatine, save her and the baby, and rule the galaxy.

20. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Christensen: ?Anakin?s just gone and killed his family, more or less, so I?ve done a deed that I thought would?ve weighed on me, but George sees it as an outburst of almost accidental anger that Anakin then has to suffer the repercussions of for the rest of his life. Anakin thinks he?s done the right thing in killing all the Jedi, so George wanted me to come to the scene with enthusiasm. Things are good. I?m the most powerful man in the universe and I?m going to be able to save Padmé.?

To me it sounds like Lucas and Christensen are refering to the Temple raid and not the Separatist massacare. By that point, Anakin's got tears in his eyes and I think it's here that we have what Lucas tells Hayden how to act.

"There's always this good in you. And the good part is saying 'What am I doing?'. Then the bad part kicks in and says 'I'm doing this for Padme, I'm doing this for the galaxy and so we can have a better life'. But the good part is always saying 'WHAT AM I DOING?!"

--George Lucas to Hayden Christensen, Hyperspace webdoc.

21. starwarsagent

starwarsagent Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 4, 2004

Peelin Onions.

SWA.

22. Darth_Kyran

Darth_Kyran Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2005
    answer is on rots book.

He was crying on Mustafar. Because the dragon said "Padme will die. You cant stop her death.You cant save her."

23. Darth_Turkey

Darth_Turkey Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 5, 2004
    One word, Regret.

He regrets what he's become, he regrets what he's done, he regrets what he has to do to become stronger (which is fall deeper into the darkside), he regrets what he is going to have to do next(Kill Kenobi)and hates that this was the path he had to take for love.

He also cries before he goes to save palps. It's because he cant imagine living without Padame and the thought of her dying is like him dying too.

He cried before, when he killed the tuscans, this is through anger. His whole problem is that he cannot control his emotions. Thats the reason anybody cries, and thats what he's going through, pretty much from the start of the movie to the end, an emotional roller-coaster.

24. Ogmios22188

Ogmios22188 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 12, 2004
    That quote refers to when Anakin comes to Padme` after the Jedi Temple raid, not after the Separatist slaughter. That's why we don't see any sadness from him after he kills the Jedi. It doesn't start coming out till after he's killed the Separatists.

25. Darth-Trepidor

Darth-Trepidor Jedi Youngling star 3

May 10, 2005
    "Why was Anakin crying on Mustafar?"

Cause he singed his finger dicing Nute Gunray and he's a big woosy-boy...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.