main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why was Anakin crying on Mustafar?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by thechozn1, Jun 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    don't quit your day job...
    the attempts at humor are not working

2. Darth-Trepidor

Darth-Trepidor Jedi Youngling star 3

May 10, 2005
    What attempts at humor? I'm joking because this QUESTION is a joke. Use your HEADS! Why do you THINK he's crying?

3. lovelucas

Mar 19, 2004
    heads? as in plural? nope-comedy is defintely not your forte -
    it's the contrast of the balacony scenes:
    when on coruscant and padme's balcony anakin has been convinced by sidious that this is the only way to avoid civil war and that the jedi's plot to overthrow the republic is the treasonous element - not the sith. totally different attitude here - he's confident in his belief that he's doing the right thing.
    by the time the slaughter of the separatists has taken place he knows the glimmer of a truth: is this the honorable way? how would he explain these actions to padme? and actually, at this point, to obi wan because anakin doesn't totally cross him of the list (even though sidious said ALL the jedi are an enemy of the republic and most specifically that included obiwan) until he thinks he and padme have alligned to kill him....shows you how far gone he was at that point. ....even then he still does not want to kill obiwan, he's that conflicted. his last words before "you will try" are "don't make me kill you".
    the battle for between light and dark is still very much actively being fought inside anakin...

4. Darth-Trepidor

May 10, 2005
    Fine then lovelucas, use YOUR head!

I think you're making a seemingly unnderstandable action a little more complicated than it NEEDS to be.

and by the by, I suppose comedy is YOUR forte?

5. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Even though he loves Padme, and would do anything to save her,he still has some bit or morals in him at the time. He knows what he's doing is wrong, but tells himself he needs to do it to become more powerful so he can save her.

He knows he's falling, but he keeps telling himself he's doing good. Only when he's alone does he show his remorse for what he's done.

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Knock it off, you two.

7. anibad

anibad Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 13, 2005
    because he had just done something that he didn't want to do but on the other hand in his mind he had 2 do it 4 his wife not knowing that he was part of the reason that she died

8. Darth-Trepidor

May 10, 2005
    Thank you anibad. THAT makes sense...

She started it, She started it! ;)

9. lovelucas

Mar 19, 2004
    there once was a man from nantucket...

10. Darth-Trepidor

May 10, 2005
    I never DID find out how the rest of that went...

11. SEPARATESICKLEROOK2

SEPARATESICKLEROOK2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 1, 2003
    It's the conflict, pure and simple. I would expect no less from a hero forcing himself to become evil. Anakin was a great warrior (though wars not make one great), but he was no butcher. He had to make himself become this way. It was beautiful to me and when i think of Vader I think of this scene. (I am talking about him slaying the Separatists, not the balcony scene.)

12. thechozn1

thechozn1 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2005
    Just wanted to let everyone who said Anakin wasn't really crying during this scene is going to be eating some lovely crow after you see the DVD commentary. GL goes nice and in detail on it.

13. obi1andreasen79

obi1andreasen79 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2005
    Come on CZ1! Tell us whats up! spoilers! spoilers! EDIT: Thanks for the PM! ;)

14. Boba_Fett_00

Boba_Fett_00 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 18, 2002
    Why was Anakin crying on Mustafar?

Because he's a crybaby.

15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    "Scenes after Padme and Anakin meet after temple attack moves very quickly. Likes the scene as he is lying to her but rationalizing what he is saying. Lying to himself. He knows he?s wrong but won't admit it. Padme could never live with him now."

--George Lucas, ROTS DVD Commentary.

"There's always this good in you. And the good part is saying 'what am I doing?'. Then the bad part kicks in and says 'I'm doing this for Padme, I'm doing this for the galaxy and so we can have a better life'. But the good part is always saying 'WHAT AM I DOING?!"

--George Lucas to Hayden Christensen, Hyperspace webdoc.

"Anakin's on the balcony contemplating what he?s done. This is the first time he actually has a chance to think about what it is that?s happened by himself and the tear here shows that he knows what he?s done but he?s not committed himself a path that he may not agree with but he is going to go along anyway.

It?s the one moment that says he?s self aware. He rationalizing all his behavior. He?s doing terrible things. But in the end he really knows the truth. He knows that he?s evil now and there?s nothing he can do about it and that?s the moment where the pathos of him being stuck in that suit is real because if he had to do it over he probably wouldn?t do it but he can't stop it now.

You know where it's going to lead. He knows it will end with a fight with Obi-Wan. He knows that Padme not buy into this new reality. He made a pact with the devil and now he?s become the devil.

--George Lucas, ROTS DVD Commentary.

16. KILLER-CLONE

KILLER-CLONE Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2005
    Thanks for that insightful contribution.

Well, that's that question answered......NEXT!

17. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    Sounds good to me...and anyone who thought he wasn't crying on the balcony must be blind. Possibly deaf and dumb, too...but definitely blind.

18. thechozn1

thechozn1 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2005
    I agree. When I authored the thread the last thing in my mind was someone not thinking he was crying, but sure enough someone with a dead serious post said he was just sweating. Wow, i've seen it all now.

19. obi1andreasen79

obi1andreasen79 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2005
    Sweating?......Ummmmmm........

Wow! I'm speechless.

20. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    maybe his eyes were sweating.[face_thinking]

21. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    He does have a chance to think of what he's done, while flying to Mustafar. But he's stone-faced. Instead he cries after killing the annoying trade fed guys. So it's as if he's more upset about kiling them than the Jedi, which is absurd. Thus, people like me saw him crying at that point in time and thought "That just can't be right, maybe it's just sweat."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.