main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why was 'Anakin is Free' not on the original release of the TPM soundtrack?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by ST-TPM-ASF-TNE, Dec 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I was rather curious about this. The piece itself is a full theme that was in the original release of the movie. Was it added at the last minute to TPM, which would be why it wasn't on the soundtrack release, or something else? :confused: :D

2. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I never thought there was any logic behind the original soundtrack release anyways....
    except, of course, making the UE seem more yummy

3. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    I assume that it may not have been on the soundtrack if it was added in at the last minute. The folks over the TPM soundtrack may have had already selected the tracks for the soundtrack. All the more reason for the UE, as TLJ said.

:)

4. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    ("as TLJ said"
    hmmm, I love it when a Mod says that, even in non-administrative issues :) :p)

5. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    You know... this is one of my favorite Star Wars cues ever. I think it has one of the best uses of the Force theme ever. I have no idea why something THIS good was left off the original album.

6. batvader

batvader Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    Maybe it was left out to leave room for Jar Jar music. Jar Jar was a great character and his music the highlight of the soundtrack

7. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    *sniff, sniff* I smell irony....

8. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Hey batvader. If your comments are not going to add something to the conversation then you probably should not say anything at all. You behaviour since I have noticed you has been very poor and you will not last long if you keep this up. I would suggest posting things a little more relevant and less off topic and sarcastic.

Your post above could easily fit into the category of trolling for many Mods here and if you look at the TOS, trolling is a bannable offense.

9. batvader

Dec 23, 2002
    I didn't ask what you think, strilo.

And being sarcastic about bad things is a part of me, can't change that. I can't talk seriously about the fact that they included dull underscore or Jar Jar's theme and they didn't include Anakin is Free. Maybe they wanted the sheep to have a reason to buy the substandard UE album that would follow.

YJ edit: I don't recall anyone asking you what you thought either. Everyone is allowed to have an opinion, whether or not it is asked for. If you can't talk seriously about the topics in this forum, then you might not want to post here.

10. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    batvader, if you want explain why you don't like something, that's fine. But please don't insult others who may have a different view.

I rather like Qui-Gon's Theme at the beginning of [i]Anakin Is Free[/i]. And yes, the rendition of the Force Theme as Anakin leaves his mother is moving. :)

11. batvader

Dec 23, 2002
    Strilo made a ''preachy'' comment first. Say this (''nobody asked what you think either'') to him. And I attacked a lame element of the film and the ost album, he attacked me.

After all, there's no explanation why Anakin's cue is not on the OST album, while Jar Jar music, dull underscore and dialogue music is dominant in some parts of the album.

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Well then I will simply say that I like the Jar Jar music. It reminds me of the lighthearted droid music and ewok music from the original films. I did not think that it dominated any part of the TPM OST CD. Indeed, it was very well balanced theme wise. It's only problems were too much editing things from very different places in the film together and the redundant inclusion of Anakin's Theme and Duel of the Fates when they appeared exactly the same in the End Titles.

'Anakin Is Free' was simply left off because either Williams or Wannberg wanted the other tracks on there and they only had one disc of space to work with.

13. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Who is Wannberg?

14. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    ^^^ If I'm not mistaken, he's the guy who selects the tracks for the soundtracks and names them.

15. TenorAprentice

TenorAprentice Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    Well, it could have been a deliberate ommission. I have noticed that about the AOTC OST as well. There are many cues in the movie (shmi's funeral for one, dex's diner for another) that were really well done and not on the OST. This could be because they knew the UE was going to be released, and wanted to save something juicy for it.

It could be for another reason. During the summer of '99, my friend passthegrits and I saw TPM in the theater A TON (ton=enough to personally finance the creation of a CG droid with ticket sales, I won't say how many so as not to incriminate myself). I LOVED going to see it, and one of the highlights for me was listening to that cue. The lack of that cue on the CD made it stand out every time, having no way for it to get stale, and made that moment almost magical for me.

I wonder if this was also the reasoning behind the ommission of what we used to call the second age theme in LOTR.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.