main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why was AOTC not loved by the public and media?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by DBrennan3333, Nov 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DBrennan3333

DBrennan3333 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    (A) The movie had none of the heartful laughs of rest of them. Instead, it was saturated with a 'Lord of the Rings' style of pretentsious seriousness. Listen fellas, when you've got a movie about a futuristic society engaging in an absurdly outdated WW2-style of warfare, you might want to at least enrich the thing with some honest laughs.

(B) Dark. You mean in terms of the tone? No, I mean that the screen was physically drab and dreary. It was like watching 'Das Boot' on VHS with black nylon covering the screen.

(C) The worst acting in the history of cinema. Hey, I think Natalie Portman's hot, too, but her "NO!....I shouldn't have done that" after they kissed was the most awkward line delivery ever. Hayden Christanson's voice always rattled like an old Katherine Hepburn and even Yoda's look and dialogue delivery sucked.

(D) Digital video. Hey dude, you can carry on about how revolutionary it is for you to shoot on DV but when push comes to shove, I don't give a damn about your convenience. It's our time and our money that's important, not your tech fetish. The movie looked blurry, dark....BAD.

Well, hey, maybe I'm wrong about some of those things but I'm right about this: I felt EMBARASSED watching the movie. It was awful. At the theater I remember all the guys who went to the urinals when it let out were making fun of how stupid it was.

2. The_Nameless_One

The_Nameless_One Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    Then I suggest you go to the basher thread - they'll help you cope with your problems ;)

3. Tatooine_Fireman

Tatooine_Fireman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2003
  4. CooI_Jedi

CooI_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2004
    Maybe she sounded arkward because her character was?

5. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    It's the best Star Wars movie ever.

6. DBrennan3333

Nov 5, 2004
    I'm sure some people actually had a good time watching the lump of crap that is Attack of the Clones...they're called phonies and fanatics.

The only way you can actually ENJOY the movie is if you're so fixated on Star Wars that anytime you see the characters you get giddy and transfixed, like a guy who loves his sports team even when they clearly suck.

And when I say it sucks....understand that I clearly have the feelings of the American people to back me up. The movie had no legs at the box office and I'm sure that DVD sales after the first week (when all the loyalists bought it) were nil.

7. The_Nameless_One

The_Nameless_One Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    Try changing the thread title to "Easily the Worst Troll Ever" ;)

8. Clone_General

Clone_General Jedi Youngling

Nov 6, 2004
    go somewhere else talk about this

9. DarthyMarkyMark

DarthyMarkyMark Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    I loved it. And yet, for a "fanatic", I haven't started a thread about how much I love the movie and bashed everyone who disagreed with me. Only a fanatic would do something as childish as that ...

10. Lord_Coras

Lord_Coras Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2001
    I don't get these trolls. I have seen some pretty lousy films but you will never find me spamming message boards about them. I just choose to not see them again and then go about my business...

11. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Bad troll, bad. AOTC is a good movie nevertheless.

12. master_organa

master_organa Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 5, 2004
    Congratualtion, you will have the shortest stint on the JC ever.

13. DBrennan3333

Nov 5, 2004
    You guys are sitting here defending this movie that audiences and critics both rejected.

You forget that quality is subjective only to the individual. To the masses, you can easily quantify how good or bad a movie is with both polls and by tracking word of mouth.

'Attack of the Clones' falied miserably on both accounts. PEOPLE DID NOT LIKE THE MOVIE.

My list of problems with the movie was an attempt to figure out WHY the American people did not like 'Attack of the Clones.'

As I said, if you liked it as an individual, that's your business, but it is an empirical fact that most people who saw the movie did not enjoy it. Calling me a 'troll' or slobbering over your DVD won't change that fact for a second.

14. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    To help you out, I've changed the title to something much more likely to help debate, rather than get people running in here with fire in their eyes about this.

15. DBrennan3333

Nov 5, 2004
    Damon,

Maybe these fans need a little bit of fire lit beneath them to sober up to reality.

George Lucas pandered to the cultists a little bit in TPM, and a whole helluva lot in AOTC and look what happened. History has spoken....PANDERING DOES NOT WORK.

The Star Wars fanatics are George Lucas's enablers. They are the ones who object to good humor because they prefer contrived seriousness to honest situation, they are the ones who have this absurd fetish for stupid characters like 'Jango Fett' and Mace Windu, they're the ones who love lame lines like 'Rise Lord Vader' even though Vader is strapped down....they've satisfied their petty obsessions and destroyed a trilogy.

Thanks Guys!

16. lord-darkhelmet

lord-darkhelmet Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2003
    DBrennan, I don't think people are calling you a troll because you don't like the movie. They are calling you a troll because of comments like:

"The worst acting in the history of cinema"

"I'm sure some people actually had a good time watching the lump of crap that is Attack of the Clones...they're called phonies and fanatics."

"The only way you can actually ENJOY the movie is if you're so fixated on Star Wars that anytime you see the characters you get giddy and transfixed..."

I thought some of the points you made in your original post were valid, but others were clearly intended to elicit an angry response from people. That is what a troll does. I happen to really enjoy the movie despite its flaws, which all the films of the saga have. In your mind that makes me a slobbering fanatic, in my mind I'm just enjoying a fun, silly movie for what it is: a great addition to the fairy tale that is Star Wars.

17. DBrennan3333

Nov 5, 2004
    Lord Darkhelmet:

If what I say seems emotional, it's probably just because I tried to make my point concisely. It was not intentionally malicious, it was simply direct. I wasn't just trying to provoke you.

Having said that....

AOTC doesn't HAVE flaws, the whole thing IS a flaw!

OF COURSE the other movies have problems (though none come to mind right now), but their spirit is honest and true. Even TPM earned respect from its viewers.

NOBODY EXCEPT STAR WARS FANS LIKED ATTACK OF THE CLONES. NOBODY. People, at best, found it a forgettable romp.

Clearly Lucas is doing something wrong and all the compliments in the world aren't going to fix the problem.

Diagnosis is the first step towards rehabilitation, and you guys continue to sing the praises of this HORRIBLE movie, thus ensuring another disaster in ROTS.

We're going to end up with another drab, unfunny, unspirited piece of crap, mark my words....and you guys will still pretend that it's good.

18. Nightowl

Nightowl TFN Timetales Writer star 4 VIP

Jul 8, 1998
    AOTC doesn't HAVE flaws, the whole thing IS a flaw!

Well, guess what pal -- Lucas has been warning us for YEARS this is how the Prequel Trilogy (in particular this installment) would be. He told it would be intricate, confusing, overly political. He told us we wouldn't be able to tell the good guys apart from the bad guys. He told us he may not be able to deliver on the love story of Anakin/Padme.

But on the action pieces, on the duels, on the scenery, and in the case of the main bad guy, HE DELIVERED. Ewan McGregor has sold the younger Obi-Wan Kenobi to a T. The audiences cheered at the new CGI wall-hopping Yoda, chuckled at the bumbling Threepio and Artoo reunited, got chills up their spine as Anakin began his plunge into evil. I wouldn't call those flaws at all.

At least he HAD a story to tell, which is more than Bruckheimer, Bay, Emmerich or any of the other purveyors of "forgettable summer romps" could give us these last few years.

NOBODY EXCEPT STAR WARS FANS LIKED ATTACK OF THE CLONES. NOBODY.

Considering AOTC made 310 million in the American box office (according to IMDB) with an additional 324 million overseas, that translates to rather a LOT of Star Wars fans, doesn't it?

Ezon Pin likes this.
  19. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    'Attack of the Clones' falied miserably on both accounts. PEOPLE DID NOT LIKE THE MOVIE.

Huh... how do you explain the big box office scores worldwide?

When people don't like a movie, they won't watch it again... Gigli, anyone?

My list of problems with the movie was an attempt to figure out WHY the American people did not like 'Attack of the Clones.'

Hello there...

... I started to question the taste of Americans some days ago, but even then, you make it sound like everyone hated AOTC.

You know, there exist some other countries outside the USA. Really, believe me! :eek:

And I must say, in Europe we really liked AOTC. Does that make us, Europeans stupid?

No, it doesn't. We just enjoyed AOTC as a movie, despite it flaws. We don't treat Star Wars as some kind of cultural phenomenon like you are doing.

You don?t like the movie, that?s good and your business, but don?t act like it ruined your life.

NOBODY EXCEPT STAR WARS FANS LIKED ATTACK OF THE CLONES. NOBODY. People, at best, found it a forgettable romp.

The funny thing about this comment is that the bunch of people who really hate AOTC are die-hard Star Wars (OT) fans.

AOTC was very well liked by the casual movie goer.

Anyway, you should go to Europe some day, you could use some more culture. :)

20. Obi_Frans

Jul 31, 2003
    And I must say, in Europe we really liked AOTC.

Definitely, Clones broke the record over here (netherlands) for the longest spot on #1 in theaters.

It was so popular they had showings till oktober and treated it's exit from theaters special by creating a SW theme-night (well, at my theater at least).

It was the same in Italy, i think. I know it was HUGE there at least.

21. DBrennan3333

Nov 5, 2004
    Well, I'm proud to be an American and all that....

The movie made BY FAR the least amount of money of any of the Star Wars movies after you adjust for inflation.

It's not an opinion, it's a quantitative fact. ESB made $230 mil when tickets cost less than half what they cost for AOTC. Moreover, the movie made almost a third of its money on opening weekend. After that, it faded faster than Kato Kaelin's celebrity. It was the textbook definition of a one-weekend wonder.

And to those who say that AOTC wasn't liked because it's political, (A) you're agreeing with me that it was not liked and (B) Lucas, in his typical pandering manner, stated repeatedly that he altered the movie, putting more action in, to make it LESS political.

Young George Lucas: Great Filmmaker!
    Old George Lucas: Cheap Salesman!

22. Obi_Frans

Jul 31, 2003
    And Titanic made FAR more than any Star Wars movie besides ANH.

What's your point ?

23. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    And that doesn't deny the fact that the movie still made well over $300 million. What does it matter that it made less than the others movies? That's a massive gross domestic revenue for ANY movie. When a Star Wars movie comes out and flops at $2 million, then you can say it's universally hated.

The PT is not the OT. Gosh, how many times does this have to be said? It is not the story of rabble rousing underdogs defeating rising to save the day. It's the story of how those villains came into existence and the downfall of the good guys. There is less humor in it because it a much darker story. There is more politics in this story because most of the development takes place in a political arena. There are different fight scenes because it's a different war. In general, it's a very different universe than the OT.

You can dislike it. That's your right. That's the beauty of choice! You can watch it once, hate it, and never have to look at anything related to it again! But alot of your comments seem to suggest those of us who do like it are inferior for doing so...which annoys me. I liked AOTC. There were parts of it that could have been better, but y'know what? I think that with EVER SINGLE ONE of the Star Wars movie. Yes, that's right, even the original ones. Your personal bias is not the all-influential definition of what things should be.

24. CooI_Jedi

CooI_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2004
    Anything in life has its flaws.

25. winter_chili

winter_chili Jedi Master star 5

Nov 6, 2002
    I'm sure some people actually had a good time watching the lump of crap that is Attack of the Clones...they're called phonies and fanatics.

The majority of film critics are phonies and fanatics?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.