main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why was AOTC not loved by the public and media?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by DBrennan3333, Nov 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BauconBatista

BauconBatista Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    Hey where did that DBrenna333 guy go? He was so much fun.

If you enjoyed the first few pages here, then I highly recommend this thread from the Saga forum.

Oh, post #500 :D

2. Janos_Arkegro

Janos_Arkegro Jedi Youngling

Nov 30, 2000
    DBrennan,

"...they're the ones who love lame lines like 'Rise Lord Vader' even though Vader is strapped down...."

I think you've made a silly point here. It is a good line. You've obviously interpreted this line literally, as in 'Lord Vader, get up' or 'Lord Vader, stop lying down'. We're talking about the birth of an iconic villain here, so I think 'Lord Vader...rise' is quite an appropriate, effective and portentous statement.

And if you insist on a literal meaning, well the table Vader is strapped IS rising, but hey...

Also, AOTC being crap or not, the howls of laughter that reverberated through the audience when a sweaty Anakin awoke from his dream - moaning 'Mom!'- probably suggests more about today's generation of movie-goer than the film itself.

3. poker

poker Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 6, 2005
    AOTC is not a great Star Wars movie IMO

I even prefer TPM ;

1)I think the effects in TPM are better. In AOTC, some effects are really bad. Example : Beasts in the arena look well, cheap.
    2)Acting leaves a lot to be desired. Sometimes its good (Obiwan - Anakin in the ship at the end), sometimes its really bad (Padme - Anakin). I don't feel it at all between Anakin and Padme.
    3)Lightsaber duels : Maul VS OBiwan + Quin-Gon ruled. Yoda was... hummm... Strange.
    4)Dialogue was horrible. I challenge you to prove the opposite. Really, it was ****... ;)
    5)Humour. I don't like Padme making jokes in the arena. Jedi are dying, she just been scratched in the back by a monster and 100000 robots want her dead. Or that way she fell off A FLYING SHIP and then she gets up without a sweat... She's no Jedi. Her acting is really bad all the way through...

Really, it could have been a great movie, but in the end its only average... Some parts of it are good, but on the whole, its just an average movie. Even Star Wars fan should see this, but I guess its up to debate...

I hope ROTS will destroy this movie.

4. WLDB

WLDB Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2004
    ^
    I must disagree with the special effects thing. Some shots in TPM look like they werent even completed.

5. overmydeadbody

overmydeadbody Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 19, 2004
    "Some shots in TPM look like they werent even completed"

Which are these? The problem with AOTC is that there are simply TOO MANY visual effects shots. Therefore some things like the beasts, and certainly the droid factory, don't get the care and attention. The Yoda/Dooku duel could have also done with more work in my view (cut the saber duel altogether???).

6. GrUnT_HUNTER

GrUnT_HUNTER Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2004
    I think we can all agree, whether or not you liked ATOC, that this DBrennan3333 is an idiot.

He thinks he is smart, but ultimately you can tell his intelligence level by the way he tries to force his opinion on everyone.

It made me even angrier when DBrennan tried to tell someone they were "PRETENDING" to like the movie! This level of stupidity and ignorance is beyond comprehension.

He's going to end up being retarted some day, and he get inside of a carboard box and paint it, and that will be his own little masterpiece sci-fi story that he created.

Or, he could just be some troll trying to get everyone angry, which he did at first, but the further I got into the thread the more I enjoyed it. Loud sporatic laughtered caused my family to look at me strangely, but I didn't even try to explain.

7. mfalc_charter_pilot

mfalc_charter_pilot Jedi Youngling

Mar 19, 2005
    I see where you're coming from. The fun from the very first film, the great direction(note not Lucas) of EP2. (ROJ was dumb in some areas like R2&CP3O not camoflauged in the forest but the action great...)

1.I did think the acting left alot to be desired...
    2.The film was too slow and too much unnecessary slush.
    3.The script needed alot of modifications.
    4.The fight and action scenes were excellent though apart from:
    5.The awful light saber fight between Dooko and Anakin and O-be-wan.
    6.Anakin masterbating in bed or so it could have appeared.
    7.The film was too slow. My Dad said so.
    8.The film was too slow. I thought so.
    9.Did I mention he film was too slow?

---------------------
    Comments?

8. mfalc_charter_pilot

mfalc_charter_pilot Jedi Youngling

Mar 19, 2005
    Surely you must see the shortcomings of this film and EP1. Lucas needs alot help
    but he's so secretive that he wouldn't get help from some
    great script writers out there.

I saw EP4 when I was 4 years old with my Dad. We both absolutely loved its fun "whats going to happen next week" theme. I saw EP2 with him and he started to fall
    asleep. I was sighing because I was bored half way through. We watched it again on DVD 2 months ago and he said "its slow this isn't it" I agree. I saddened to say that...

Conclusion.
    Lucas has rushed the plots and taken things far too seriously.

9. DarkElfa

DarkElfa Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2005
    Look, everyone I know who isn't a Star Wars fan didn't see ATOC because they thought TPM blew. Me, I loved ATOC as where I thought TPM was only OK. Was the acting static? Yay, a bit. But I didn't go and see the film for acting, I saw it for lightsabers. That said, I'll add this: I was a massive Batman film untill I saw Batman & Robin with Clooney. My fandom died. I think ROTS will be redemption for Lucas.

P.S. I don't know what he's talking about as far as the digital filming looking blurry, it's my reference DVD because it is so sharp and clear.

10. BenduHopkins

BenduHopkins Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    TPM and AOTC both have massive amounts of effects. Some are seamless, some stick out like sore thumbs. This is true for both films.

One thing I don't understand, are the production artists. I don't understand why they draw such crazy stuff! Lucas has to rope them in just for it to look like Star Wars, but there's only so much he can do.

It almost seems like they never saw the OT. Did you guys see the production art of Anakin with a mohawk, huge muscles, a sleeveless ripped jedi outfit, with his chest exposed?

Did you see the JarJar production art? I mean, if they thought that would be ok for a live action movie, they must have thought they were making Roger Rabbit.

Lucas was wise to hire Ralph McQuarrie, who kept his designs in the real world.

I love some things, like the naboo ships, but other things seem designed to look completely impossible.

11. midwestartist1

midwestartist1 Jedi Youngling

Apr 5, 2005
    Just a little bit of information on the topic of Critics and Fans disliking ?Attack of the Clones.?

Attack Of The Clones is ranked #17 on the ALL TIME highest grousing films: bringing in a USA total of $310,676,740 alone. Well there is not enough Die Hard Fans to shill out that much $$ for a movie. So I know the general public did like it.
    Also ranking #17 puts it higher up on the list then Empire Strikes Back. Empire Strikes Back ranks #22.

-------------------------------------------------------
    http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&cf=critic&id=1800421139
    CRITICS:

Ain?t It Cool News: ?Lucas succeeds with the film beyond my wildest dreams? A

New York Post: ??huge fun that should stand up to repeated viewing?? A-

USA Today: ?No screen fantasy-adventure in recent memory has the showmanship of Clones last 45 minutes? B+

TIME Magazine: ??a nice sense of doom crawls up the spine of the narrative.? B+

Seattle Post: ??it?s hard not to enjoy and marvel at the film?s sheer novelistic density.? B+
    FANS REVIEWS will be on the same web link given above.

You state that you are not a DIE HARD FAN but if you where not a die-hard fan then you would not of found ?The Force. Net? website and you would have never even thought about posting.
    Like someone said before this.
    If I don?t like a movie I would not waist my time in going to a fan site. I don?t even think I would look it up in google.com.

Also: Attack of the Clones was always destining to be one of the ?NOT TO EXCITING? films in the trilogy.

Lets Break down all six movies and place them in a normal 1-movie storyline.

***Intro: Phantom Menace. This is normally the first 10 minutes of a movie?it is the beginning, just enough to information to wet your lips. Not to exciting. (How many movie do you fall in love with because of the beginning?)

***Character Development: Attack Of The Clones. This is in the first 30 minutes. This is where we get the background to everyone and the setup of the rest of the film. (The slow part of a film- in general. Even thou I personally loved it!)

***The Setup: Revenge of the Sith. This can happen in the next 30 minutes of the film. This is where things start to fall into play. Bad guys are revealed and the good guys are wondering what is going to happen next. (I bet this will be a fan favorite just like Empire Strikes Back!)

***The Plot Thickens: A New Hope. This happens 15 min after. This is where the good guys regroups. (A good place to start a series if the director didn?t know when or if he will be able to make the rest of the series. I am sure you have noticed this is the only film that has a beginning and an end.)

***The Build Up: The Empire Strikes Back. This is the rest of the movie except for the last 10 min. (this is stated to be the best film on the series and also a fan favorite.)

***The Finally: Return Of The Jedi. This is the Last 10 min of a film. Enough said. This closes the film and the good guys win. (a good ending I must say. Even better in the DVD!)

12. jariten

jariten Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2000
    "I was sighing because I was bored half way through. We watched it again on DVD 2 months ago and he said "its slow this isn't it" I agree. I saddened to say that..."

Right, so you think its slow do you? Ok, then care to explain your next 'point'?

"Conclusion.
    Lucas has rushed the plots and taken things far too seriously."

So the plot is too fast and too slow at the same time? Hmm, is this another great observation by your dad, or did you think this one up all on your own?

13. Unforgettable

Unforgettable Jedi Youngling

Apr 6, 2005

"Also, AOTC being crap or not, the howls of laughter that reverberated through the audience when a sweaty Anakin awoke from his dream - moaning 'Mom!'- probably suggests more about today's generation of movie-goer than the film itself."

Yes, it says today's generation of movie-goer can appreciate the unintentionally funny.

14. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    TPM and AOTC both have massive amounts of effects. Some are seamless, some stick out like sore thumbs. This is true for both films.

Yeah, but it's true for all FX-heavy films, including those which allegedly "integrated their effects better than the prequels."

15. Unforgettable

Unforgettable Jedi Youngling

Apr 6, 2005

Which films are those and who alleges that?

16. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004
    "Also, AOTC being crap or not, the howls of laughter that reverberated through the audience when a sweaty Anakin awoke from his dream - moaning 'Mom!'- probably suggests more about today's generation of movie-goer than the film itself."

"Howls of laughter?"

This is garbage, it's another urban myth, which curiously seems to exist only on Star Wars message boards. It co-exists with the other one, that
    Yoda's lightsaber fight was mocked and laughed at.
    Everytime I saw it it got applause and cheers.

I saw the film numerous times, in regular theatres and in IMAX and I've talked to dozens of friends, relatives and film fans who did too, and not one of them recalls these kinds of reactions at theatres.

From Mr. David Brennan's bio:

Most of all, I'm big on movies.

I just wrote THE GREATEST SCI-FI STORY EVER TOLD and am open to any options about how to get money out of the darn thing.

Funny, Dave...Lucas managed to accomplish this, I'm sure a genius, know-it-all like yourself should be able to do it with the greatest of ease.

Besides yourself Dave, how many other people think you've written the Greatest Sci-Fi Story Ever Told?

17. yoda_1987

yoda_1987 Jedi Youngling

Apr 10, 2005
    WOW! this thread was so funny that I forgot to laugh!!!!

18. CETS4491

CETS4491 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 28, 2004
    i have no clue i watched it today and i still think its awsome.....still

19. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    PM and AOTC both have massive amounts of effects. Some are seamless, some stick out like sore thumbs. This is true for both films.

And true for the Original Trilogy. Perspective, people. Perspective. I bet if someone went and looked, they'd find more bad shots in the OT than in the PT. But no one moans about those. A few bad shots don't make a movie bad.

20. BenduHopkins

Apr 7, 2004
    I bet if someone went and looked, they'd find more bad shots in the OT than in the PT.

That depends on who's appraising the shots. It would still be a matter of opinion.

The most convincing shots so far have been from the OT, I think. Even in the puppets and spaceships department.

One thing is getting faker, and that's the explosions. Computer explosions don't cut the mustard.

21. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    ATOC was loved by many members of the public and media. I loved it, and everyone I know loved it. I don't know what to tell people who insist that the acting/effect/writing/costumes/hairstyles/production design/lighting/sound is bad. Maybe they are taking a movie that is suppost to be schlocky, melodramatic, over-the-top, and corney WAY TOO SERIOUSLY. Star Wars is not Citizen Kane or The Godfather! Why would anyone hold SW up to the same standards of those movies? The same goes for the OT. It is schlocky, melodramatic, over-the-top and corney. Looking back, it only appears the acting/writing/etc is better because SW has fallen into one of those "I like the old stuff better" realms of high snobbery.

22. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

Computer explosions don't cut the mustard.

[face_laugh], this is hilarious. Computer explosions?
    You don't know too much about CGI do you?

23. yoda_jr

yoda_jr Jedi Youngling

Apr 16, 2005
    i liked AOTC more then i liked TPM. it was a better movie. jar jar runied most of TPM for me.

24. Tokio_Drifter

Tokio_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 24, 2003
    In the Netherlands most reviewers gave it a 7 out of 10. 'Better then TPM. Great action. Wonderfull locations. Romance failed.'
    This was the overall tendecy in the media.

The word on the street?

Most people I know who aren't fans thought it was mediocre, or not so good. My guess? This movie almost asks an active interest of the viewer in the movie, or a complete openmind. If youre not willing to accept that important elements in this movie are perhaps vague or unclear, or that Lucas presents us a love story in a way which is very different from what we get to see today, youre (most likely) not going to dig this one.

For instance I love the way our lovers deal with their relationship, so clumsy and all, just like me! ;)

25. BenduHopkins

Apr 7, 2004
    , this is hilarious. Computer explosions?
    You don't know too much about CGI do you?

Actually, ILM has been using CGI explosions since AOTC. Pyrotechnics are very rare in Star Wars now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.